Chihuahuas are funny, entertaining, and loyal dogs. They are absolutely brimming with personality – often possessing a quirky and eccentric personality unmatched by any other breed.
But Chihuahuas are also extremely variable. You can find individuals who are lively or mellow. Stubborn or eager to please.Feisty or chill. Confident or nervous. Bold or timid. They may be known as the world’s smallest breed, but there’s a lot more to these happy, little dogs.
1. Chihuahuas are part of the toy dog breed, bringing a lot of energy in a tiny package. These dogs are naturally small, rather than being bred down from a larger breed.
2. The Chihuahua is between 3 and 7 pounds when full grown and stands between six to eight inches. The AKC standards of a Chihuahua require that it not exceed 6 pounds
3. Not much exercise is required to keep this dog in shape. Owners who are frequently away or busy might find this breed suitable for their lifestyle.
4. Chihuahua’s can sometimes be described as “teacup,” “pocket sized,” “tiny toy,” or “miniature” when in fact these terms are quite misleading. They are not bred to be a certain size; they are just born a certain size. They are naturally small dogs and no matter what size you have, they are all considered to be the standard size of the dog.
5. It has been said that you can tell a lot about a Chihuahua just by looking into their eyes, which are set well apart and very luminous either in a black or ruby color. However, there are some Chihuahua’s that have light eyes in the case of a blond or white colored coat.
6. The short haired variety is the most common. The colors include sand or blonde, fawn colored, chestnut, silver, steel blue, black and tan, or parti-color just to name the most common colors.
7. They’re pretty low maintenance. Infrequent grooming is required to maintain upkeep. No trimming or stripping needed.