Jump to section

What is Matches Poisoning?

Matchheads contain potassium chlorate, a chemical that is toxic to dogs in large doses. Potassium chlorate is an oxidizer that makes fire burn faster and hotter. On the matchhead, it is combined with phosphorus sulfide which is easily ignited at low temperatures. Your dog would have to eat a lot of matches for severe poisoning to take place, so matches are traditionally considered non-toxic. The lowest lethal dose of potassium chlorate is 1200 milligrams per kilogram of your dog’s weight. A book of paper matches contains about 110 milligrams of potassium while 20 wooden matches contains about 330 milligrams. Dogs often like to chew on matchsticks and may end up licking the head off. Typically there are no symptoms, however dogs that ingest a book or more of matches might have gastrointestinal upset, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. In rare cases, dogs can ingest enough matchheads to have potassium chlorate toxicity. This can be serious as the oxidizing potassium chlorate causes methemoglobinemia, a condition in which there is an abnormal amount methemoglobin, a particular type of hemoglobin, in the blood. Affected animals could have hemolysis (ruptured red blood cells), low blood pressure, difficulty breathing and CNS symptoms. Untreated potassium chlorate causes severe kidney failure and eventually death, however, this is very unlikely to happen through match ingestion.

Matchheads contain a very small amount of a toxic chemical called potassium chlorate. Dogs can safely ingest small amounts of matches, but very large doses could cause gastrointestinal upset and CNS symptoms. Match poisoning in dogs is very rare.

Matches Poisoning Average Cost

From 52 quotes ranging from $300 - $5,000

Average Cost

$1,400

Symptoms of Matches Poisoning in Dogs

These are the symptoms you might see in a dog with potassium chlorate toxicity after ingesting a very large number of matches.

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Blood in the stool
  • Lethargy
  • Lack of coordination
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Shallow breathing
  • Jaundice

Types

There are two common types of matches, both of which contain potassium chlorate.

  • Strike anywhere matches – matchhead contains potassium chlorate and phosphorous sulfide
  • Safety matches – matchhead contains potassium chlorate and sulfur. Red phosphorous is found on the strip or on the side of the box where the match is struck
arrow-up-icon

Top

Causes of Matches Poisoning in Dogs

Although it is rare, match poisoning can occur. These are some of the risk factors.

  • Storing large quantities of matches in a place accessible to your dog
  • Dogs that like to chew or such on things
  • Smaller dogs with a lower body weight
arrow-up-icon

Top

Diagnosis of Matches Poisoning in Dogs

If you think your dog may have ingested a large number of matches it’s a good idea to call the veterinarian and ask for instructions based on your dog’s breed and weight. The veterinarian will want to know the amount you think your dog ingested. In most cases, the veterinarian will merely recommend you observe your dog for symptoms. If there is a possibility that a very large amount was ingested, the veterinarian may recommend you bring your dog in for further examination.

The veterinarian will perform a physical examination and check your dog for CNS symptoms, like lack of coordination, and tremors. If methemoglobinemia is present it can be diagnosed with a blood test which will show abnormal protein levels as well as a low red blood count. In the advanced stages, bloodwork and urinalysis may also show kidney and liver dysfunction.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Treatment of Matches Poisoning in Dogs

In most cases, no treatment is recommended for match ingestion. Small doses will pass through the gastrointestinal tract and be excreted in the feces without harming your dog. Clinically affected dogs will be treated symptomatically. Medication may be prescribed to help control tremors, seizures, and low blood pressure. Methemoglobinemia can be treated with injections of methylene which will help to normalize the proteins in your dog blood. In very severe cases, a blood transfusion might be needed to replace damaged red blood cells.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Recovery of Matches Poisoning in Dogs

Most dogs make a full recovery from match ingestion and many will have no symptoms at all. If match poisoning with potassium chlorate toxicity does take place, this can usually be treated successfully, unless there is a delay in treatment and damage to the liver or kidneys is already present. Match poisoning can be managed by buying matches in small quantities. If you do need to store a lot of matches for some reason, ensure they are kept in a sealed plastic container that your dog cannot access. This is especially true if your dog is small and likes to chew on things.

arrow-up-icon

Top

*Wag! may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Items are sold by the retailer, not Wag!.

Matches Poisoning Average Cost

From 52 quotes ranging from $300 - $5,000

Average Cost

$1,400

arrow-up-icon

Top

Matches Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Need pet health advice? Ask a vet

question-icon-cta

Ask a Vet

dog-name-icon

dog-breed-icon

Shihpoo

dog-age-icon

Nine Weeks

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Unknown severity

thumbs-up-icon

2 found helpful

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Unknown severity

Has Symptoms

None

Hello, my dog ate like 16 matches will he be okay?

July 28, 2020

Owner

answer-icon

Dr. Michele K. DVM

recommendation-ribbon

0 Recommendations

Thank you for your question. That may cause some GI upset for him, and it would be best to watch him closely for any signs of vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, or loss of appetite. If he does have any of those happen, it would be best to have him seen by a veterinarian right away. I hope that all goes well for him.

July 28, 2020

Was this experience helpful?

dog-name-icon

dog-breed-icon

Unknown

dog-age-icon

Three Months

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Unknown severity

thumbs-up-icon

1 found helpful

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Unknown severity

Has Symptoms

Vomiting

She vomited this morning and she isn’t even drinking water. She ate a good amount yesterday, but we think she accidentally ate matches. She ate a tiny bit this morning and hasn’t eaten or Dranken anything today

July 13, 2020

Owner

answer-icon

Dr. Michele K. DVM

recommendation-ribbon

0 Recommendations

Thank you for your question. It would be best to have your pet seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. The matches can cause significant GI upset, and your pet may need help to get over this vomiting and loss of appetite. I hope that all goes well.

July 13, 2020

Was this experience helpful?

dog-name-icon

Peanut

dog-breed-icon

Long hair chihuahua

dog-age-icon

5 Months

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Mild severity

thumbs-up-icon

3 found helpful

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Mild severity

Has Symptoms

Drowsiness
Head Tilt
Lethargic

My 5 month old long hair chihuahua puppy chewed on matches today and at the minimum ate two match heads. What should I do now?

July 26, 2017

Peanut's Owner


answer-icon

recommendation-ribbon

3320 Recommendations

Ingestion of matches in small amounts may cause gastric upset and low heart rate; larger quantities ingested may cause neurological signs or death. Smaller dogs and puppies are at a higher risk of having serious signs. There is no direct treatment for matches poisoning, treatment usually is symptomatic until resolution of symptoms. The potassium compounds in the match heads can cause destruction of red blood cells which may cause anaemia and acute kidney failure as well as lethargy. I usually recommend visiting your Veterinarian in cases of poisoning for preventive care and starting with symptomatic treatment; but with matches in small amounts they may pass without further incident, if you see a progression of clinical signs, jaundice, abdominal pain, tremors or seizures visit your Veterinarian immediately. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM

July 26, 2017

My monothth ld gsd puppy ate 1 box of match stick what can I do she vomets then

July 3, 2018

Vaibhav P.


My ate a book of small matches. What should I do?

Jan. 27, 2018

Rachel B.


My ten month old rottweiler eat match box how i solve

Aug. 30, 2017

Pitchaiya K.

Was this experience helpful?

Matches Poisoning Average Cost

From 52 quotes ranging from $300 - $5,000

Average Cost

$1,400

How can we help your pet?