Silver Dollar Poisoning Average Cost

From 270 quotes ranging from $200 - 800

Average Cost

$400

First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Silver Dollar Poisoning?

Succulent plants are popular in and around many homes due to their very easy care regimen. The silver dollar plant is one of these succulents. Its hardy nature and need of little care makes it a common find in and around homes. If your dog ingests a piece of this plant, he may develop symptoms of gastrointestinal upset. If this happens to your dog, you should take him to his veterinarian. He will receive supportive therapies and should recover without consequence.

The silver dollar plant is a hardy succulent that produces an aesthetically pleasing flower. If your dog ingests this plant, he could develop signs of gastrointestinal upset and you should contact your veterinarian.

Book First Walk Free!

Symptoms of Silver Dollar Poisoning in Dogs

Symptoms of silver dollar poisoning in dogs can vary from case to case. Toxicity symptoms may include:

  • Drooling
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting 

Canines with underlying health issues may have a different reaction than is typical. 

Types

The silver dollar plant is also commonly known as the Chinese jade plant and silver jade plant but is also known by the names silver dollar jade, tree crassula, rounded-leaved crassula, and money plant. It belongs to the Crassulaceae family with the scientific name of Crassula arborescens. It is a branched succulent growing up to 4 feet tall. The leaves are fat, rounded, and silver-gray with maroon around the edges. Flowers of the silver dollar plant bloom in a star-like form in a pinkish white color.

Causes of Silver Dollar Poisoning in Dogs

The toxin the silver dollar plant produces is unknown to scientists. When ingested, most dogs develop signs of gastrointestinal upset ranging from mild to moderate. There have been no reported cases of death of a dog due to silver dollar ingestion. However, there is always the possibility your dog may experience more severe symptoms than previously reported.

Diagnosis of Silver Dollar Poisoning in Dogs

When you take your dog to the veterinarian, she will begin her evaluation of him by performing a physical exam. Vitals will be taken and abnormalities will be noted; they can be indicative of a possible cause. Blood work and other lab work may be performed to diagnose any internal damage or organ malfunction. A urinalysis may also be performed for further assessment of the liver and kidneys if the veterinarian thinks it necessary. 

It is a good idea to bring a section or photograph of the plant to the clinic. The veterinary team can research the type of plant and it’s side effects upon ingestion. Treatment will be determined based on your dog’s clinical signs and individual reaction to the plant.

Treatment of Silver Dollar Poisoning in Dogs

Fluid therapy will be started to flush the toxin from your dog’s body quickly and efficiently. Fluid therapy will also correct and prevent any degree of dehydration your dog may be suffering due to excessive vomiting. Depending on the degree of his dehydration, she may give him fluids subcutaneously or he may need to be hospitalized in order to receive more aggressive treatments like intravenous fluids.

Your veterinarian may induce vomiting in your dog to expel any remaining plant particles from his stomach. If the vomit is clear and unsuccessful at producing any plant remnants, she may administer activated charcoal to bind and absorb the toxin. An antiemetic may be prescribed if your pet is experiencing intense nausea and vomiting. Additional supportive therapies, such as gastroprotectants, will be administered according to your dog’s needs.

Recovery of Silver Dollar Poisoning in Dogs

Toxicity from the silver dollar plant may be considered mild to moderate. Since most dogs only suffer gastrointestinal upset, prognosis for a full recovery is good. If your dog has any health conditions prior to ingestion of the silver dollar plant, prognosis for a full recovery may decline, but with supportive care, he should still recover very well.

Since the silver dollar plant is a succulent found throughout many regions, care must be taken to avoid the opportunity for your companion to sample the plant again. If your pet likes to graze on plants you may want to keep him close at hand while on walks in areas with dense foliage.