Stinking Chamomile Poisoning Average Cost

From 235 quotes ranging from $500 - 3,000

Average Cost

$1,100

First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Stinking Chamomile Poisoning?

Stinking chamomile or Anthemis Cotula, also called stinking mayweed and dog’s fennel, is a foul-smelling plant that is a part of the sunflower family. A bushy annual, this plant will produce pretty, yellow flowers that are about three-quarters to one inch in diameter. Surrounding these yellow parts are 12 to 20 white ray flowers. Seen throughout most of the United States, at its maturity, the plant will stand between 12 and 24 inches tall and have hairless stems branching from it. The plant has no positive use and can be harmful to humans and animals. It is often found growing along roads and in fields, in particular where irrigation is present for farming. The United States Department of Agriculture has declared it a noxious weed due to its invasiveness.

Stinking chamomile is considered toxic for pets with a variety of substances that could hurt your dog. Fortunately, should your dog make contact with or consume a portion of the plant, he will experience irritating but not deadly results. Due to the irritant substances that impact the skin and mucous membranes, along with its unpleasant smell and taste, animals rarely ingest much of it.

Also known as stinking mayweed and dog’s fennel, stinking chamomile is a foul-smelling, foul-tasting plant that is toxic to your dog if ingested, causing gastrointestinal upset.

Book First Walk Free!

Symptoms of Stinking Chamomile Poisoning in Dogs

Should your dog ingest the stinking chamomile plant he may experience the following symptoms:

  • Irritation in his mouth
  • Inflammation and upset stomach
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Disinterest in eating

Rubbing up against the plant may lead to contact dermatitis.

Types

Stinking chamomile appears to be physically the same as true chamomile, though the base of the white petals does not have membranous scales. The major difference and the way to tell stinking chamomile apart from true chamomile its unpleasant smell. It is not just the flowers that have a foul odor, but the entire stinking chamomile plant.

Causes of Stinking Chamomile Poisoning in Dogs

Volatile oils in the stinking chamomile plant are what is toxic and can cause a reaction in your dog. Your pet’s mouth and stomach may become irritated, and his skin could have a reaction to the sap.

Diagnosis of Stinking Chamomile Poisoning in Dogs

Should you notice that your dog has ingested stinking chamomile, it will be pretty apparent what the cause of his discomfort is. It is a good idea to contact your veterinarian while assisting your dog by flushing his mouth with water to alleviate his discomfort. 

If you did not notice your dog ingest anything or come in contact with stinking chamomile, your veterinarian will ask you to consider where your dog has been over the last 24 hours and what plants or other things he may have come into contact with. While poisoning by stinking chamomile is relatively minor, poisoning by other plants may be more problematic, so it is important to help your veterinarian rule out more serious possibilities for your dog’s discomfort.

If you are unable to confirm what your dog ingested that has caused his symptoms, visiting the veterinarian immediately is essential to ensure your dog it experiencing stinking chamomile poisoning and not something more harmful to him.

Treatment of Stinking Chamomile Poisoning in Dogs

When it comes to treating your dog for poisoning from stinking chamomile, it is likely that you will just have to treat the symptoms that your dog is experiencing to help him feel more comfortable. First, make sure that all plant matter is taken out of his mouth (if there is any left in there) and then flush his mouth out with water. In most cases, your dog will vomit so that his body can rid itself of the plant material that he is unable to digest. If your dog has not vomited, you might consider inducing him to do so. If your companion is vomiting excessively, a veterinary visit is essential. 

Activated medical charcoal is helpful to absorb the toxins that result from ingesting the stinking chamomile. If your dog is experiencing significant stomach upset, the veterinarian will ensure that he is getting plenty of fluids in his system as to avoid becoming dehydrated. Kapectolin may be recommended by your veterinarian to help with the stomach upset if your dog is experiencing significant diarrhea, at a typical dose of 1 to 2 ml/kg four times daily. For dogs that weigh over 60 pounds, Sucralfate (at 1 gram every 6 to 8 hours) may be recommended to help with stomach irritation.

Recovery of Stinking Chamomile Poisoning in Dogs

Fortunately, recovery from stinking chamomile poisoning is quick and straightforward. Should your dog be struggling with vomiting and diarrhea, you will want to be sure to regularly administer fluids so that he remains hydrated. Your veterinarian may prescribe Kapectolin or Sucralfate to continue to alleviate the stomach pain your dog is experiencing as he rids his system of the poison. Your dog will likely make a full recovery from the poison within 24 hours of ingestion.