The Beagle parent's history is sparse - the dog we know today really didn't develop until the 19th century. Greek history documents dogs much like the Beagle in 400 B.C., and the Romans brought small hounds ideal for rabbit hunting with them when they came to England. Talbot Hounds arrived with William the Conqueror in 1066 and it is these dogs that are thought to be the ancestors of the Beagle. Over the years the Beagle has enjoyed popularity especially during 1307 to 1509 in the courts of Edward II and Henry VII and were used for fox hunting, but they fell out of favor because of the larger Foxhounds that were faster and more agile. Luckily the farmers in England, Ireland and Wales continued to breed them for rabbit and hare hunting. Around the 1800s the Beagle was imported into America, where they bred them to be smaller than the English hound. The patch Beagle strain was developed by Willet Randall in New York around 1800, which resulted in an attractive dog who was primarily white but with large tri colored spots. The American Kennel Club began registering Beagles in 1884. Since then, the Beagle has only increased in popularity, branching out into other careers such as search and rescue, drug detection, and as a therapy dog. The Pomeranian came from the province of Pomerania, having been developed from ancient Spitz breeds. These dogs were characterised by their wedge shaped heads, perky ears and dense furry coats. They have always enjoyed popularity and notable people such as Isaac Newton and Mozart were devoted owners. When Princess Charlotte from Pomerania married an English Prince, (soon to become King George III) she brought with her two white Poms, and the breed became popular in royal circles. But it was Queen Victoria, an avid dog lover, who promoted the Pomeranian as loving companions and confidants, and bred them to be much smaller than their standard 20 pounds. These tiny ambassadors rocketed to popularity and have continued to this day to be one of the most popular dog breeds. The American Kennel Club recognised the breed in 1909.