Super Glue Poisoning Average Cost

From 49 quotes ranging from $300 - 3,000

Average Cost

$550

First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Super Glue Poisoning?

Super Glue contains cyanoacrylate, which is an acrylate resin that quickly bonds with almost any surface. Although this glue is not really toxic, per se, there are other ways that Super Glue can be dangerous to your dog. If your dog gets Super Glue in his eyes, it will cause irritation and pain, as well as possibly gluing your dog’s eyelids together. The glue that sticks to the lid can also scratch the cornea, which can be very painful and cause loss of vision in that eye. Super Glue itself can cause damage to the eye, eyelid, and even lead to blindness. Ear pain and ulcers can occur if Super Glue gets in the ear canal. It can also cause loss of hearing due to the mass of glue in the canal. If the Super Glue is stuck to your dog’s skin, it is just a mild irritant. However, your dog may hurt the skin even more just trying to remove the glue. Never use any kind of Super Glue removers to try to remove the glue from your dog. This can make things worse because of the solvents they contain.

Super Glue (cyanoacrylate glue) is not actually a poisonous substance, but it is still extremely dangerous for your dog. If your dog ingests cyanoacrylate glue, it causes irritation, vomiting, coughing, and it may cause parts of your dog’s gums to be sealed shut. If swallowed, this glue can become a large mass in your dog’s esophagus, stomach, or intestines. While this may not be life-threatening at first, swallowing the glue that comes loose from the mouth or skin can cause an obstruction that can be fatal. If your dog has ingested or chewed on Super Glue, it is best to make a trip to the veterinarian to be on the safe side.

Book First Walk Free!

Symptoms of Super Glue Poisoning in Dogs

The symptoms of Super Glue poisoning vary greatly depending on the method of contact, although there are some general symptoms that are the same in all cases. These are:

General

  • Anxiety
  • Irritability
  • Loss of appetite
  • Weight loss

Oral

  • Abdominal blockage
  • Abdominal pain
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting

Eyes

  • Inability to open one or both eyes
  • Rubbing face on walls, carpet, etc.
  • Scratching at eyes

Ears

  • Crying/whining
  • Scratching ears
  • Tilting head when listening

Topical

  • White spots on fur or skin
  • Chewing on affected part of body

 Types

  • Oral
  • Eyes
  • Ears
  • Skin

Causes of Super Glue Poisoning in Dogs

Super Glue poisoning is caused by having contact with Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) from:

  • Chewing on or eating glue
  • Sniffing glue tube or something recently glued
  • Rubbing head on something recently glued
  • Playing with Super Glue tube

Diagnosis of Super Glue Poisoning in Dogs

It is very difficult to know if your dog has swallowed or come in contact with Super Glue unless you actually see it happen. However, if you know (or suspect) that your dog has ingested Super Glue, you should visit your veterinarian for an examination. The veterinarian will do a thorough check of your dog’s entire body, paying close attention to the eyes, ears, nose, and mouth. Abdominal palpation will also be done to feel for any large masses from a blockage caused by the Super Glue. Your dog’s heart rate, weight, blood pressure, body temperature, and oxygen levels will be checked as well. The veterinarian may also do a complete blood count (CBC), biochemical profile, urinalysis, and stool sample. If there is any question of ingestion or Super Glue in the ear canal, the veterinarian will also get some images with radiographs (x-rays), CT scans, or MRI. An abdominal ultrasound may also be done to check for intestinal obstructions.

Treatment of Super Glue Poisoning in Dogs

Your dog’s treatment depends on the area affected and what the veterinarian determines from the examination and tests. If there is no obstruction or other physical injury from the Super Glue, no treatment is necessary. If your dog has an obstruction, the veterinarian will have to perform abdominal surgery to remove it.

If your dog’s eye is sealed shut, the veterinarian will apply a sterile eyewash and gently pry the lids apart. Your dog will probably need to be sedated for this procedure. Topical antibiotic cream or drops will be prescribed to prevent infection. For ear exposure, the veterinarian will use a mild hydrogen peroxide or acetone solution and continue to flush the ear with warm water until the ear and the ear canal are free from Super Glue.

For skin exposure, the veterinarian will clip the hair from the area that is affected and cleanse the area with a mild acetone solution and rinse with water. The veterinarian will gently peel the remaining residue from your dog’s skin. Your dog will probably need to be sedated for this procedure.

Recovery of Super Glue Poisoning in Dogs

Regardless of the exposure, if your dog got treatment right away, the prognosis is good. However, if your dog had to get surgery to remove an abdominal mass, there are always risks, such as infection. Your veterinarian will provide you with antibiotics, so be sure to follow the directions and make sure you finish all of the medication. Call the veterinarian if you have any questions or concerns. To prevent this from happening again, always keep Super Glue and other dangerous products out of the reach of your dog.

Super Glue Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Oliver
West Highland White Terrier
7 Months
Mild condition
0 found helpful
Mild condition

Has Symptoms

Irritation and constant swallow

Hi I just wanted to know what to do. We found the super glue gorilla glue to be exact on the floor. It is Unknown how much he ate but my family is going insane we think he might die but cannot pay for the procurer, we Barely could even offord him. Please respond soon.

Dr. Michele King, DVM
Dr. Michele King, DVM
1408 Recommendations
This could be a serious problem for Oliver. If he ate the gorilla glue, it can cause a foreign body in his intestines. If he is vomiting, not eating, or develops diarrhea, he will need to be seen by a veterinarian to assess the damage. Many veterinarians offer a free first exam so that you can have him seen, and most clinics do offer CareCredit for unexpected expenses if he needs further care. I hope that he is okay.

Add a comment to Oliver's experience

Was this experience helpful?

Bentley
Border Collie terrier
9 Months
Mild condition
0 found helpful
Mild condition

Has Symptoms

Sad
Calm

Our dog got into some gorilla glue earlier this morning around 10:30am. We haven’t taken her to get looked at, but know that she hasn’t eaten since and has been drinking water and pooping regularly and throwing up clear liquid. She threw up around 5pm and it was the same color of the glue. Since then it has only been clear. She seems to be her happy, normal self. What actions should we take next?

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
2996 Recommendations
You should take Bentley to your Veterinarian immediately, when Gorilla Glue comes into contact with stomach acid is expands into foam and then hardens (see image in first link); this is not something to be attempted to be treated at home. Visit an Emergency Veterinarian if yours is closed. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM www.dogeatsgorillaglue.com/index.3.jpg https://wagwalking.com/condition/gorilla-glue-poisoning

Add a comment to Bentley's experience

Was this experience helpful?

Harley
Dachshund
5 Months
Mild condition
0 found helpful
Mild condition

Has Symptoms

none

Hi my puppy got into super glue. I don’t believe any got into his stomach but it is on his outside lip and the top of roof of his mouth. I was able to get as much as I could off his teeth and gums. But what do I do about the rest. He currently has no symptoms of vomiting or loss of appitite, he is his normal self.

Dr. Michele King, DVM
Dr. Michele King, DVM
1408 Recommendations
If the glue is causing any irritation or making it so that Harley can't eat or doesn't want to eat, he needs to see his veterinarian to try and remove the glue, which may require sedation. If he seems to be comfortable, the glue will dislodge at some point, and the concern with that is that he will swallow the chunk of glue, and it may cause GI problems or a foreign body. If he is showing any irritation, loss of appetite, vomiting, or diarrhea, he should see his veterinarian right away. I hope that everything resolves uneventfully for him!

Add a comment to Harley's experience

Was this experience helpful?

Dole
Chihuahua
7 Months
Moderate condition
0 found helpful
Moderate condition

Has Symptoms

Lethargic demeanor

Found industrial strength glue on floor, looked like there was a puncture mark on he tube? I would like and very much appreciate whoever is available to address my concerns in regards to this matter.

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
2996 Recommendations
The problem is that there are many different brands and types of superglue; some cause oral irritation, some may expand and harden if they come into contact with stomach acid and some may have chemicals which can cause severe toxicity. You should contact the number on the tube to speak with the consumer helpline and contact the Pet Poison Helpline; the treatment or management is different for each different product. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM www.petpoisonhelpline.com

Add a comment to Dole's experience

Was this experience helpful?