Wild Carnation Poisoning Average Cost

From 233 quotes ranging from $200 - 500

Average Cost

$250

First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Wild Carnation Poisoning?

The wild carnation is an aesthetically pleasing flower that adds a pop of color to any environment. It can be found naturally occurring in the wild or as a planted flower. Either way, if your dog ingests any part of it, he may develop signs of gastrointestinal upset. If this happens to your dog, he may recover well on his own without veterinary care or he may need some supportive therapies. Either way, prognosis of a full recovery is good.

If your dog decides to ingest a wild carnation, he may develop symptoms of poisoning such as itchy skin or diarrhea. Take him to your local veterinarian for evaluation and relief from the symptoms.

Book First Walk Free!

Symptoms of Wild Carnation Poisoning in Dogs

Symptoms of wild carnation poisoning may vary from case to case. Symptoms may include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lack of appetite
  • Skin irritation
  • Itching of the skin

These symptoms are considered mild in cases of toxicity.

Types

The wild carnation is also commonly known by the name pinks, sweet William, and carnation. The wild carnation belongs to the family Caryophyllaceae and the genus Dianthus. There are many different species of the carnation but all produce the gastrointestinal upset in dogs when ingested. The Dianthus caryophyllus is the species of carnation most frequently seen in gardens.

Causes of Wild Carnation Poisoning in Dogs

The toxin the wild carnation produces is unknown. In most dogs, when ingested it causes gastrointestinal upset and skin irritation. There have been no reported cases of death due to wild carnation ingestion since the toxin typically causes mild side effects. However, if your dog does ingest a wild carnation, it is still a good idea to take him to a veterinarian for an evaluation.

Diagnosis of Wild Carnation Poisoning in Dogs

When you take your dog to the veterinarian, she will begin by performing a physical exam. Vitals will be taken and abnormalities will be noted. A complete blood count (CBC), chemistry panel, and packed cell volume (PCV) will provide the veterinarian with a broad understanding of how the organs are filtering the blood and hydration status. A urinalysis may also be performed for further assessment of the kidneys. 

If your dog is vomiting at the veterinarian’s office, she will examine the contents for any clues as to what your dog ingested. If he is not vomiting, she may induce vomiting to rid the stomach of any remaining plant particles. If your dog is having diarrhea, a fecal sample will be collected and tested to rule out internal parasites or bacterial overgrowth. If your dog’s skin has a rash or is inflamed in any way, your veterinarian may take a skin scraping sample in order to rule out external parasites or a bacterial overgrowth.

The veterinarian will also palpate your companion’s stomach. If he shows signs of tenderness or discomfort, your veterinarian may do imaging tests to determine if there is an obstruction or blockage in the intestines or stomach area.

Treatment of Wild Carnation Poisoning in Dogs

If your dog is experiencing any type of skin irritation, the veterinarian may wash your dog with a type of mild dish soap to give his skin some relief. Some type of medicinal ointment or cream may be applied to any areas of inflammation to help heal it quicker.

Your veterinarian may induce vomiting in your dog to expel any remaining plant particles from his stomach. If the vomit is clear and unsuccessful at producing any plant remnants, she may administer activated charcoal to bind and absorb any remaining toxin before the body does. Fluid therapy will be started to flush the toxin from your dog’s body quickly and efficiently. Fluid therapy will also correct and prevent any degree of dehydration your dog may be suffering due to excessive vomiting and diarrhea.

Recovery of Wild Carnation Poisoning in Dogs

Toxicity from ingesting the wild carnation may be considered mild. If you believe your dog ingested a wild carnation, take him to your veterinarian. He may recover well without any medical help or in some cases the veterinarian may want to initiate supportive therapies. Overall, prognosis for a full recovery is good.

If you have this flower in your garden, keep in a region your dog does not have access to or train him to not eat foliage. If you have this flower inside, keep it at a height your dog cannot reach even when standing on his hind legs. Educate yourself about your favorite flowers before making a purchase.