Fuzzy, scruffy, large, small: Dogs of all shapes and sizes deserve a happy home with a loving family. In other words, all pooches deserve smooches! And that’s what National Mutt Day is all about. This day is dedicated to embracing and celebrating mixed-breed dogs.
In 2005, Colleen Paige founded this holiday to bring awareness to the millions of mutts in shelters. About 20 percent of dogs entering shelters each year are purebreds and are generally adopted more quickly than mixed breeds. This leaves the remaining 80% to experience stress, develop shelter-related behavioral issues, and, perhaps, never find their fur-ever homes.
On National Mutt Day, it makes sense to highlight the potential and positive aspects of mutts. So, let's dispel three common myths about mutts.
One of the most harmful myths about mutts is that mixed-breed dogs aren’t the valedictorians of the canine world. Well, as a dog lover, you'll surely agree every dog is special, right? The same is true when it comes to intelligence levels.
All dogs have unique capabilities and potential. And whether purebred or mutt, every dog needs love, attention, discipline, and training to reach full potential.
What about dog shows and other competitions?
Every day, mutt enthusiasts celebrate the skills of their mixed-breed babies in organizations and competitions similar to those that only allow purebreds. And guess what? Mutts can be equally as amazing!
There are dog shows just for mixed-breed dogs. And recently, mixed-breed dogs became on the of most entered "breeds" in the AKC’s National Agility Championship. They call them All-American Dogs!
Where did this myth come from?
This myth originates, in part, from the fact that mixed-breed dogs can spend more time in shelters. During such stays, dogs don’t receive as much care, attention, and training as dogs in loving homes. Additionally, because purebred dogs are often adopted into the family as puppies, they begin their training and bonding during a dog’s formative years.
Mutts actually live longer, on average, than purebred dogs. Patty Khuly, VMD, shares the opinion that mutts are less likely to inherit diseases. They also have a lower rate of joint issues, heart problems, cancer, and other illnesses.
This can mean more tail wags, along with lots of warm and fuzzy snuggles.
It’s true that each mutt is one-of-a-kind. Every dog is. Even two purebred siblings — from the same litter — can be quite different. That’s what makes being a pet parent so special. Our dogs, even after years of companionship, still manage to surprise us, while also making us smile and laugh.
A mutt’s appearance, size, and personality may be a mystery when they’re puppies, but that’s part of the fun. Mutts range in size, color, and temperament. And just like a handsome purebred, they can turn heads and receive a wide range of compliments, praise, and adoration on walks and other outings.
When you adopt a mutt, you can bet you’re going to end up with a lovable bundle of fur that will repay your generosity over and over again.
Today is dedicated to celebrating the beauty of mixed-breed dogs and the joy they bring. Do your part to help a mutt find a human who will appreciate their one-of-a-kind personality and devotion.
Consider adopting a lovable mixed-breed doggo
Donate supplies or a monetary contribution to a local shelter.
Volunteer or foster shelter dogs
Happy National Mutt Day!
5 Ways to Help Your Boarding Client Conquer Separation Anxiety
NOV 18, 2021 | 5 min read
Top Destinations in Virginia to Visit This Holiday Season 2021
NOV 17, 2021 | 6 min read
It's National Diabetes Month: 4 Sugar-Free Snack Ideas For Your Dog
NOV 17, 2021 | 5 min read
What's the Difference between Doggy Daycare and Wag! Drop-ins?
NOV 11, 2021 | 6 min read
© 2021 Wag Labs, Inc. All rights reserved.
Download the Wag! app
Download the Wag! app