The history of the English Bull Staffy is not well-documented at this time. It is suspected that the breed was developed as a desire to create a healthier breed. In the 19th century, the Am Staff was used in dog fighting rings among the wealthy. The breed's other purpose was among farmers, who used the dogs to hunt rats, wild pigs, and bears. Owners appreciated their versatility in the field and wanted to branch off of their talent. In the 1920s, there was a desire to exhibit the Am Staff in conformation shows. In 1936, the American Kennel Club accepted the Am Staff as separate from the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, who was smaller in stature. While the English Bulldog was originally descended from the ancient Mastiff, the breed was developed in England. In 1500, there was a mention of a man who walked around with a Bulldog. At the time, the breed was developed to be aggressive in order to be effective at bull-baiting. Bull-baiting was believed to tenderize bull's meat, which resulted in increased popularity in the sport. In 1835, bull-baiting was outlawed in England and the English Bulldog did not have a purpose anymore. Due to his aggressive nature, the dog was not considered a companion pet. Breeders desired to modify the breed and develop a sweet and gentle disposition. In 1859, English Bulldogs began to show up in conformation shows. In 1860, the first dog show with English Bulldogs occurred at Birmingham, England. In 1880, the breed was imported to the United States. In 1890, the Bulldog Club of America was founded. In 1894, the first official breed standard was publicized. In 1890, the American Kennel Club recognized the English Bulldog.