What is Dreamies Allergy?
Veterinary advice is always recommended for felines who have food sensitivities. While pet food products are meant for specific species and pet food and treats are designed with that in mind, there are ingredients within these products more apt to cause an allergic reaction than others. Common ingredients such as wheat gluten, corn, soy, eggs, beef, and chicken are just a few of the known allergens in commercial pet foods. For example, meat derivatives found in many treat products such as Dreamies may bring on an allergic response if your cat has developed an allergy to protein.
‘Dreamies’ is a processed food treat for cats which many felines seem to be excited about and love to eat. This treat, like many other products on the pet shelves, may initiate an allergic reaction in cats who are sensitive to certain ingredients.
Symptoms of Dreamies Allergy in Cats
- Itchy skin
- Pustule-type bumps on the skin
- Hair loss
- Abdominal pain
- Food allergies can be hard to detect; it may be a mystery as to the actual food your cat is allergic to
- Food allergies are the third highest rated allergy for cats behind flea allergies and inhalant allergies
- An allergic reaction can start at any age
- A change in diet produces the best results
- The most common allergens are protein based (chicken, milk, fish, beef and eggs)
Causes of Dreamies Allergy in Cats
- Food allergies can develop quite rapidly in your cat, even if they have normally eaten a food before and once the allergy is established, avoidance is the only alternative
- Chemicals in your cat’s food may initiate this response, as a feline’s natural diet doesn’t have additives within it
- Allergies can affect your cat in different ways, from being just a bit off color, to vomiting and diarrhea
- There are a lot of cat treats that are non-nutritional but may still contain proteins
- Rapid eating of an excessive amount of dry food along with a lack of water can play havoc with your cat’s digestive system as it struggles to process the unnatural food
- Preservatives and additives in the product can produce unwanted reactions within your cat’s metabolism and digestion
Diagnosis of Dreamies Allergy in Cats
Scientific research has shown that food allergies are the third most common cat allergy which is only just beaten by flea bite and inhaled substance allergies. Allergies can range from mild itching to excessive scratching, or it may show in gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting and diarrhea. Pin-pointing your cat’s allergy is not as easy as it sounds. A visit to your veterinarian to rule out other possible causes of the vomiting and diarrhea is warranted, and he will be able to examine your cat and rule out other causes such as flea bites and other allergens. Allergies can make your cat quite depressed, and reluctant to do much of anything as they slowly move around feeling poorly. It is important to find out what is causing your cat’s discomfort.
Your veterinarian may suggest a blood test, he will check your cat’s coat for any fleas, and will ask you about your cat’s environment. Some substances that are kept in garages or sheds are quite powerful for a cat’s system, and even inhaling these substances can cause considerable harm. Once all other causes have been eliminated, then your cat’s diet will be the next important step on his agenda.
Treatment of Dreamies Allergy in Cats
While there is no antidote for an allergy, treatment through dietary redesigning may be the next best thing. Your cat specialist may suggest what is known as a novel diet, in other words, it means feeding your cat a diet of new sources of food from other sources that your cat may not have eaten before. Meats such as kangaroo or perhaps turkey may be a welcome change to the diet. This means no treats and no dried food. Providing different vegetables than what your cat is used to is also part of the novel diet, and it is aimed at resting your cat’s bodily system from the products that may be causing the allergy. Then after a period of at least ten weeks, when your feline’s body is recovered enough, the novel diet slowly introduces a food item back into the diet to see whether the allergy will reappear. It usually will within a couple of weeks, and if it does, then that item is a known allergen.
Although this approach takes a lot of time (and patience) it is very effective to find out what your cat cannot handle in its dietary intake. Once this has been done with most items from its former diet, you will be able to provide a nourishing healthy diet that your cat’s system will appreciate. Deciphering whether the Dreamies treats contain an ingredient that may cause an allergic reaction will be recognized once the specific protein or additive is isolated.
Recovery of Dreamies Allergy in Cats
Recovery from an allergy requires the item causing the allergy to be removed from your cat’s diet. It takes a few weeks for your cat’s system to heal but using the novel diet system and slowly introducing known foods, it will allow you to provide a constant nourishing diet devoid of any allergens. Providing food as natural as possible without any additives will avoid any flare ups or reactions, keeping your cat healthy and happy. If you want to give your cat a treat, give it natural meats or nibbles from fish. The cat’s digestion was designed for a natural diet, things that they could hunt and catch. Preservatives and additives or spices may have no place in your cat’s diet.