Scented Geranium Poisoning Average Cost

From 577 quotes ranging from $200 - 850

Average Cost


Jump to Section

What is Scented Geranium Poisoning?

Scented geranium poisoning in cats is caused by direct ingestion of any portion of the scented geranium, including the stem, leaves, flowers, and roots. The scented geranium’s toxic principles are essential oils that can cause great gastrointestinal upset to the feline. Common symptoms for felines to develop after ingesting the scented plant include; anorexia, depression, diarrhea and vomiting. A large quantity ingestion of this plant has also been reported to cause hypothermia, muscle weakness and ataxia. 

The scented geranium is a member if the Geranilea family and is known throughout the world by its scientific name, Pelargonium sp. The scented geranium has also been commonly called “geranium” and can be identified by its tall stems that end with a cluster of brightly colored flowers, paired with small green leaves. As the name implies, the scented geranium plant has many scents including; rose, peppermint, lime, lemon, coconut, apricot, apple, and many others. People commonly used the scented geranium to flavor their tea, jam, and sugar for consumption. Scented geranium is also a common ingredient in dried potpourris and aromatherapy. 

Symptoms of Scented Geranium Poisoning in Cats

The symptom primarily associated with scented geranium poisoning in cats is generally gastrointestinal upset, but the severity of symptoms depends greatly on the amount of vegetation consumed. Most felines will vomit or develop diarrhea as their bodies respond to the toxic oil component of this plant. However, if the feline ingested a large amount of the scented geranium, then the feline could proceed to develop hypothermia, muscle weakness, and ataxia. 

Causes of Scented Geranium Poisoning in Cats

Scented geranium poisoning in cats is caused by the ingestion of any portion of the scented plant. The leaves, stem, roots, and especially the flower of the scented geranium contain essential oils, linaool and geranoil, which are toxic to felines, as well as other domestic animals like horses and dogs. The plant's essential oils are not well tolerated by the stomach and nausea usually sets in before the feline can eat a large quantity of vegetation. Unfortunately, due to the small size of most felines, even a small amount of scented geranium is considered dangerous. 

Diagnosis of Scented Geranium Poisoning in Cats

Diagnosing a scented geranium poisoning in cats may be based on ruling out other possible causes of your feline’s condition that could cause similar symptoms. The diagnostic process will begin with a physical examination, a review of the feline’s medical history and a consultation with the pet owner. Inform the veterinarian about your feline’s recent actions and exposure to scented geranium, as this information will aid in ruling out other possible causes.

The veterinarian may conduct a series of diagnostic tests to ensure your cat is truly suffering from a scented geranium toxicity and not an underlying health condition. Diagnostic tests the veterinarian will request may include: 

  • CBC (complete blood cell count) 
  • Biochemical profile (blood work) 
  • Blood smear test 
  • Urinalysis (examination of urine) 
  • Fecal floatation test
  • Fecal examination 

Treatment of Scented Geranium Poisoning in Cats

Scented geranium poisoning in cats is treated by removing the plant from the feline to prevent further ingestion and eliminating the toxins from the cat’s body. To eliminate the undigested toxin from the cat’s stomach, an emetic drug will be administered to encourage the feline to vomit. Activated charcoal may also be administered by the veterinarian. Activated charcoal will bind with toxic agents in the digestive tract to prevent absorption. The feline’s treatment may include intravenous fluids to restore his or her hydration.

Recovery of Scented Geranium Poisoning in Cats

The prognosis for a scented geranium poisoning in cats is guarded to good and depends greatly on the amount of plant material consumed. In most cases, if the feline is not allowed to consume any more of the plant material, the feline will recover in roughly 24 hours. As with all plant toxicity cases, the earlier the feline is admitted to the veterinary hospital, the greater chance she or he has of making a full recovery. The best way to prevent scented geranium poisoning in cats is to remove the plant from your cat’s environment. 

Scented Geranium Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

9 Years
Moderate condition
0 found helpful
Moderate condition

Has Symptoms

Not drinking water

Medication Used


I bathed my cat yesterday. He's 9. Bath time is not usually an issue, however, I was not thinking and I put a conditioner on his fur. Today he's been vomiting and has bad diarrhea. The conditioner had geranium in it. Hes not drinking tons of water like he usually does either. I assume it's the geranium making him sick because I looked it up. Other ingredients were rosehips and aloe vera. He already has early kidney disease from an obstructed intestine 2 years ago. Thoughts?

Dr. Michele King, DVM
Dr. Michele King, DVM
Dr. Michele King DVM
1611 Recommendations
I'm not sure that the small amount of Geranium present in the conditioner would cause these signs for him, but it would be best to wash the conditioner off, regardless. Because of his kidney disease, it would be best to have him seen by a veterinarian today to have an examination and get the vomiting and diarrhea under control, as any level of dehydration will be dangerous for Boots. I hope that he is okay.

Add a comment to Boots's experience

Was this experience helpful?

American Medium-Hair
9 Years
Fair condition
0 found helpful
Fair condition

my cat just ate a dead geranium plant a few minutes ago. it was only one dead flower bud. is it okay if the plant is dead or will we still have to worry? he hasn’t acted different yet, but what if he does? what should i do?

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
3320 Recommendations
Dead plants can be more toxic than live plants; gastrointestinal symptoms are the most common symptoms which include vomiting and diarrhoea. Usually inducing vomiting after consumption and administering activated charcoal are the usual first aid steps; after ensuring adequate hydration is important especially if there is diarrhoea. If you have any concerns, visit your Veterinarian. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM

Add a comment to Cat's experience

Was this experience helpful?