Chinese Jade Poisoning Average Cost

From 533 quotes ranging from $200 - 800

Average Cost


First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Chinese Jade Poisoning?

Succulents are a popular plant to have in homes, offices, and businesses due to their easy care regimen. The  Chinese jade is one of these plants, and also produces a blooming flower in a star shape of pinkish-white. In most cases, when ingested by a dog, it leads to mild gastrointestinal upset. Thankfully, there have not been any reports of serious toxicosis from  Chinese jade ingestion by a dog. Vomiting is the most severe symptom seen in toxicity cases. Prognosis for a full recovery in your dog is good, with or without supportive therapies. If you believe your dog ingested this plant, it is still a good idea to take him to the veterinarian to have him evaluated.

The  Chinese jade plant is an aesthetically pleasing, flowering succulent many people have in or around their home. If ingested by your dog, it can lead to toxicity symptoms. If you believe your dog ingested this plant, contact your veterinarian.

Book First Walk Free!

Symptoms of Chinese Jade Poisoning in Dogs

Symptoms of  Chinese jade Poisoning in dogs can vary from case to case. Toxicity symptoms may include

  • Drooling
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting 

If your dog has any health issues prior to ingestion of the  Chinese jade plant, they may or may not develop other symptoms as well. 


The  Chinese jade plant is also commonly known as the silver dollar plant and silver jade plant. It belongs to the Crassulaceae family with the scientific name of Crassula arborescens. It is a branched succulent growing up to 4 feet tall. The leaves are fat, rounded, and silver-gray with maroon around the edges.

Causes of Chinese Jade Poisoning in Dogs

The toxin the  Chinese jade plant produces in unknown. In most dogs, when ingested it causes gastrointestinal upset. There have been no reported cases of death due to  Chinese jade ingestion since the toxin typically causes mild side effects only. However, there is always the possibility your dog may experience more severe symptoms than previously reported.

Diagnosis of Chinese Jade Poisoning in Dogs

When you take your dog to the veterinarian, she will begin by performing a physical examination of your pet. Vitals will be taken and abnormalities will be noted. Blood work and other laboratory work may be performed to diagnose any internal damage. A complete blood count (CBC), chemistry panel, and packed cell volume (PCV) will provide the veterinarian with a broad understanding of how the organs are filtering the blood. A urinalysis may also be performed for further assessment of the kidneys. 

If your dog is vomiting at the veterinarian’s office, she will examine the contents for any clues as to what your dog ingested. If he is not vomiting, she may induce vomiting to rid the stomach of any remaining plant particles.

If you believe your dog ingested this plant, take it with you to the veterinarian clinic. The team will be able to examine the plant for bite marks or other evidence to determine the cause of your dog’s symptoms. This will allow for proper identification of the plant your dog consumed and the toxin it contains.

Treatment of Chinese Jade Poisoning in Dogs

Your veterinarian may induce vomiting in your dog to expel any remaining plant particles from his stomach. If the vomit is clear and unsuccessful at producing any plant remnants, she may administer activated charcoal to bind and absorb the toxin before the body does. Fluid therapy will be started to flush the toxin from your dog’s body quickly and efficiently. Fluid therapy will also correct and prevent any degree of dehydration your dog may be suffering due to excessive vomiting. Additional supportive therapies will be administered according to your dog’s needs.

Recovery of Chinese Jade Poisoning in Dogs

Toxicity from the  Chinese jade plant may be considered mild. Since most dogs only suffer gastrointestinal upset, prognosis for a full recovery is good. If your dog has any health conditions prior to ingestion of the  Chinese jade plant, prognosis for a full recovery may decline, but with supportive care, he should still recover very well.

It is recommended that you  always educate yourself on what plants you bring in and around your home. Since the  Chinese jade plant is a succulent in many regions, do not let your pet stop and chew on unknown plants when out for walks. If you have this plant in your garden, be sure your dog cannot get to it. If you have it indoors, keep it at a height your dog cannot reach. Even the most well behaved dogs get curious and one day may ingest a dangerous plant.