Daisy Poisoning Average Cost

From 582 quotes ranging from $200 - 800

Average Cost

$350

First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Daisy Poisoning?

The daisy family is among the largest plant family, with over 600 species and thousands of subtypes. The consumption of one or two daisies will usually not harm your pup, but eating a large amount of daisies could be enough to cause vomiting, drooling, and even muscle spasms or convulsions. Your dog can normally metabolize a small amount of these chemicals such as what is contained in the flea treatment, but paired with the natural chemicals in the daisy it can lead to a serious toxic reaction. Sesquiterpene is another substance found in many daisies that can cause intestinal upset and skin irritation.

There are many varieties of daisies and the amount of chemicals within can vary, as can the types of chemicals the daisy contains. Some daisies, such as the gerber daisy, are not toxic at all while many others contain several toxins that are all dangerous to your pet. These most common daisies contain several poisonous substances including pyrethroids, which are used to make insecticides like flea medication. This can lead to serious problems in your dog if consumes a large amount of daisies, or has recently been treated for fleas with medication or shampoo that contain pyrethrins or pyrethroids.

Book First Walk Free!

Symptoms of Daisy Poisoning in Dogs

The symptoms can vary a great deal because of the huge amount of different types of daisies. Some can be very toxic with just a small consumption and some are not toxic at all. However, the most often reported symptoms are:

  • Agitation
  • Appetite loss
  • Confusion
  • Convulsions
  • Darkened urine
  • Depression
  • Dermatitis
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Gagging or choking
  • Incoordination
  • Muscle spasms
  • Shaking or trembling
  • Vomiting
  • Weight loss

 Types

Daisy (bellis perennis) is a common daisy in the Asteraceae family in the order of asterales and genus bellis. There are many types of daisies in various colors and shapes. Some of the most common names are:

  • Bush daisy
  • Common daisy
  • Daisy
  • English daisy
  • Gerber daisy
  • Lawn daisy
  • Shasta daisy

Causes of Daisy Poisoning in Dogs

The many types of daisies contain different types and amounts of toxic substances. Some may have all of these, some may have none and not be toxic at all. However, it is best to make sure to keep your dog from eating daisies.

  • Anthemic acid
  • Bisabolol
  • Chamazulene
  • Lactones
  • Pyrethrin
  • Pyrethroids
  • Sesquiterpene
  • Tannic acid
  • Volatile oils

Diagnosis of Daisy Poisoning in Dogs

If you think your dog may have eaten a daisy, it is best to make a trip to the veterinarian even if there are no obvious symptoms. It is better to be safe than sorry, and the veterinarian may be able to check out your pet and give you a diagnosis and treatment in less than an hour in most cases, depending on the type of daisy consumed and the symptoms that are apparent. The veterinarian will ask you what your dog ate, how much, and when it was consumed. They will also want to know if you have noticed any symptoms yet. If so, describe in detail the signs of poisoning and when they began.

A physical examination of your dog is next, with your veterinarian checking your pet’s overall health and condition. The veterinarian will examine your pet’s coat and skin condition. weight, body temperature, blood pressure, reflexes, and heart rate. To get a definitive diagnosis, they will need to perform a urinalysis, fecal examination, complete blood count, blood urea nitrogen (BUN) level, and biochemistry profile. An increase in creatinine, phosphates, proteins, and potassium may be found with a drop in blood glucose levels.

If your pet’s condition is deteriorating and it is suspected that he consumed one of the more toxic daisies, radiographs (x-rays) and ultrasounds will be done to get a closer look at the digestive system, heart, lungs, kidneys, spleen, and liver. Sometimes an MRI or CT scan is needed as well.

An endoscopy can give the veterinarian a closeup look at your dog’s airway and esophagus to check for inflammation or blockage. The endoscope used is a long and flexible tube that has a miniature camera on it to show the veterinarian what is going on in your dog’s throat. Anesthesia will be used during this procedure which only takes a few minutes.

Treatment of Daisy Poisoning in Dogs

The veterinarian will induce vomiting by giving a hydrogen peroxide medication if necessary. Activated charcoal can be used to absorb the toxins and any other parts of the undigested daisy. 

Intravenous (IV) fluids containing electrolytes will be started, and oxygen therapy may be necessary as well if your dog is distressed. The fluids will help flush your dog’s system and prevent dehydration from vomiting. If your pet has had any of the more serious symptoms such as muscle spasms or convulsions, the veterinarian may want to keep your dog overnight for observation. If your dog has been having seizures, the team may want to administer anti-seizure drugs like diazepam or phenobarbital, and muscle relaxants could be helpful in this situation as well.

Recovery of Daisy Poisoning in Dogs

Chance of recovery is excellent as long as you received treatment in a timely manner. Once the toxins are out of your dog’s system and vitals are stable, you will be able to take him home with you. Prepare a safe and comfortable spot away from loud noises and people so your dog can recuperate in a peaceful environment. If you have any questions about your pet’s recovery, contact the clinic. Depending on the severity of the daisy poisoning and its effects on your dog, the veterinarian may suggest a follow-up appointment within a few days.

Daisy Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Twizzler
Dachshund
2 Years
Fair condition
0 found helpful
Fair condition

Has Symptoms

None

My dog ate a few Daisy petals that feel off the flowers my husband got me. She just ate them 5 minutes ago and I decided I should check if Daisies are toxic. I see that they are but can just a few small petals harm her? Should I be worried?

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
2008 Recommendations

Ingestion of daisy’s may cause vomiting, diarrhoea, dermatitis, drooling and other symptoms. I do not have any data on the toxicity of daisy’s and there are many different types. Normally induction of vomiting within two hours and fluids are usually given, but I understand this is more than six hours ago. If you notice any symptoms, visit your Veterinarian immediately. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM

Add a comment to Twizzler's experience

Was this experience helpful?