Jump to section

What is Dumbcane Poisoning?

The dumbcane is a hardy plant that does well in warmer temperatures and tolerates indirect sunlight, making it a great indoor plant. It is also a bright vibrant green color which makes it a nice addition to any room to brighten it up. Despite all of the good qualities, this plant remains toxic to those who chew on it or ingest it. Do not let your dog around this plant, especially if he likes to chew on foliage. 

Symptoms of poisoning by the dumbcane plant include injury and inflammation of the tongue, throat, and lips. Blindness and respiratory distress may also be experienced. Due to the seriousness of the effects of poisoning, many dogs will require hospitalization if exposed to dumbcane.

The dumbcane is a plant commonly found indoors due to its easy care regimen. What people do not realize is this plant is toxic to people and pets that ingest it. Contact your veterinary clinic if you suspect your pet consumed any part of the dumbcane plant.

Dumbcane Poisoning Average Cost

From 52 quotes ranging from $200 - $1,500

Average Cost

$500

Symptoms of Dumbcane Poisoning in Dogs

The symptoms of this plant toxin set in as soon as one bite is taken. The intensity of the symptoms will depend on how much your dog consumed. Symptoms include:

  • Immediate pain of the mouth
  • Burning of the mouth
  • Inflammation of the mouth
  • Inflammation of the throat
  • Inflammation of the lips
  • Loss of appetite
  • Diarrhea
  • Tongue extended out of mouth
  • Vomiting
  • Drooling
  • Foaming at the mouth
  • Head shaking
  • Eye irritation or blindness if contacts the eyes
  • Pawing at the mouth
  • Respiratory issues
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Death 

Types

There are many different species of the dumbcane plant. This plant belongs to the Araceae family and to the genus Dieffenbachia. This plant can vary in size and the colors differ depending on which species you have. All of the plants in this genus are equally toxic no matter what the species.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Causes of Dumbcane Poisoning in Dogs

The dumbcane plant belongs to the Araceae family and contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals called raphides. These crystals are insoluble and penetrate the tissue leading to injury. Every piece of this plant is lethal, including the sap alone, so keeping your pet away from this plant is important to his well being.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Diagnosis of Dumbcane Poisoning in Dogs

When you arrive at your veterinarian the team will likely start with a physical examination, though this will depend on the amount of stress and pain your dog is in. Observation of your pet and his behavior will give the veterinarian a proper look at your pet’s condition and symptoms, and will indicate if vitals are abnormal. Blood work will likely be run to see how your dog is doing internally. A complete blood count (CBC) and a chemistry panel will give the veterinarian information about how your dog’s body is handling the toxin and what therapeutic steps need to be taken. If you saw or think your dog ate or chewed on a part of this plant, take a piece of it with you to the veterinarian’s office. This will allow the veterinarian to know exactly what the dog came into contact with and enable her to identify the plant.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Treatment of Dumbcane Poisoning in Dogs

Your dog will be started on supportive therapies to help stop the symptoms. The veterinarian may try to flush out your dog’s mouth in an attempt to wash off the toxins. In addition, she will flush the eyes if they have become irritated, and your dog will likely be put on intravenous fluids to help correct or prevent any dehydration that may develop. If your dog is having difficulty breathing, the veterinarian will put him on oxygen support, either by flow-by or in an oxygen cage. If your dog is having a severe reaction whereby his tongue and throat have become swollen and are causing breathing difficulties, the veterinarian may need to intubate your pet and keep your dog on oxygen via intubation until the swelling subsides, and he is able to breathe better on his own.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Recovery of Dumbcane Poisoning in Dogs

The toxicity of the dumbcane plant may be considered mild to moderate depending on how much your dog has ingested. If your pet chewed on a small piece of the plant, symptoms of toxicity will occur but should not be lethal. However, if your dog chewed on the plant for quite some time or even swallowed a portion of it, symptoms will be more pronounced and dangerous. The sooner you seek professional medical help for your pet, the higher his chances of a successful recovery. Do not wait until symptoms progress and your dog is struggling, take him to the veterinarian as soon as you suspect or see that he has eaten the dumbcane plant.

While this plant is easy to take care of making it convenient for decorating your home, it is not worth risking your dog’s health in order to decorate with it. Even dogs that normally do not chew on plants may decide to take a nibble of this one, leading to lethal consequences. If you do have this plant in your home, keep it on a counter or bookcase out of your pet’s reach. Keep it high enough off the ground so that if your dog is on his hind legs, he still cannot access it. Be sure it is on a broad enough surface so that fallen and wilted leaves will not land somewhere within your pet’s reach. If you have this plant outside, be sure your pet does not have access to the area it is in. Educate yourself about the any of the plants you choose to purchase for your home.

arrow-up-icon

Top

*Wag! may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Items are sold by the retailer, not Wag!.

Dumbcane Poisoning Average Cost

From 52 quotes ranging from $200 - $1,500

Average Cost

$500

arrow-up-icon

Top

Dumbcane Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Need pet health advice? Ask a vet

question-icon-cta

Ask a Vet

dog-name-icon

dog-breed-icon

Unknown

dog-age-icon

Five Months

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Unknown severity

thumbs-up-icon

0 found helpful

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Unknown severity

Has Symptoms

Yellow/ White Vomit

My dog was suffering issues with vomiting (occasionally bloody), lethargy, and loss of appetite. She has been diagnosed with hookworms & a possible ulcer due to it. With that they gave her some dewormer & a ulcer bandaid prescription & she has seemed to start becoming normal. Yet after 3 days in she started vomiting again, this time being either yellow or white foam & only in the middle of the night. She still seems normal besides the vomiting, what should I do?

July 31, 2020

Owner

answer-icon

Dr. Ellen M. DVM

recommendation-ribbon

0 Recommendations

Hello, thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear that your dog is still vomiting! I am certainly concerned that she started vomiting again. I recommend calling your vet and letting them know what is going on. They may recommend taking an x-ray of her abdomen if they haven't already, just to make sure there is no evidence of intestinal obstruction. If they have already ruled this out, they may be able to give her some dog-specific anti-nausea meds to help with the vomiting. I hope that she starts feeling better soon! Have a great weekend!

July 31, 2020

Was this experience helpful?

dog-name-icon

Remi

dog-breed-icon

French Bulldog

dog-age-icon

2 Years

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Mild severity

thumbs-up-icon

0 found helpful

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Mild severity

Has Symptoms

Diarrhea
Vomiting

2 yr old female ate some of the leaves of dumcane plant. She is vomiting and diarrhea. Drinking plenty but not eating and very mellow, resting a lot. Comes when called and alert but not as active. This happened yesterday

May 6, 2018

Remi's Owner

answer-icon

Dr. Michele K. DVM

recommendation-ribbon

1611 Recommendations

Remi should probably be seen by a veterinarian if she is vomiting and having diarrhea after eating the plant. She may need supportive care to stop her GI upset. I hope that she is okay.

May 6, 2018

Was this experience helpful?

dog-name-icon

Frankie

dog-breed-icon

pit bull terrier

dog-age-icon

3 Years

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Mild severity

thumbs-up-icon

2 found helpful

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Mild severity

Has Symptoms

Drooling
Drooling, Thirst

I think my dog ate a few leaves of my dumb cane plant. Should I take her to the vet? She’s drooling a bit (drops, not strings) and keeps asking to go outside. We found some vomited leaves in the corner of the house this morning.

March 27, 2018

Frankie's Owner

answer-icon

recommendation-ribbon

3320 Recommendations

Normally dogs don’t manage to swallow the leaves since the insoluble calcium oxalate crystals in the plant cause severe oral irritation that the dog doesn’t swallow them (normally); however if they are swallowed usual symptoms may include vomiting, drooling, pawing at the mouth, loss of appetite among other symptoms. Rinsing out of the mouth is a good way to help reduce irritation, but if the throat is swollen and Frankie is having breathing difficulties you should visit your Veterinarian to be on the safe side. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM

March 27, 2018

Was this experience helpful?

Dumbcane Poisoning Average Cost

From 52 quotes ranging from $200 - $1,500

Average Cost

$500

How can we help your pet?