Flea and Tick Dips and Shampoos Poisoning Average Cost

From 69 quotes ranging from $300 - 5,000

Average Cost

$350

First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Flea and Tick Dips and Shampoos Poisoning?

Amitraz insecticide poisoning causes central nervous irritation, which includes seizures, difficulty walking, dilated pupils, and extreme sleepiness. It also affects the cardiac system (extremely low or high blood pressure, decreased heart rate) and the gastrointestinal system (vomiting, drooling, diarrhea). Death is usually caused by a depressed central nervous system. A toxic oral dose of amitraz is 10 milligrams per kilogram, and a lethal dose is 100 milligrams per kilogram. It is uncommon, but possible, for a dog to ingest a lethal amount of amitraz by consuming a collar that contains amitraz or a concentrated dip or shampoo. It is also possible to apply a toxic dose of amitraz insecticide topically, from confusion when diluting the solution.

Amitraz insecticide poisoning is caused by the drug amitraz, or formamidine acaricide, which is used as a topical dip or shampoo for the prevention of ticks and mange in dogs and other animals. This drug is also in dog collars which are made for treatment of these pests as well. Amitraz poisoning is a relatively rare condition and has a mortality rate of only five percent in dogs treated with the correct dosage, although it sometimes has serious or life-threatening effects on some toy breeds, puppies, and older dogs.

Book First Walk Free!

Symptoms of Flea and Tick Dips and Shampoos Poisoning in Dogs

Amitraz insecticide poisoning caused by flea and ticks collars or dips and shampoos has many symptoms, which are separated into three categories:

Central Nervous System

  • Acting drunk
  • Collapse
  • Coma
  • Death
  • Decreased body temperature (hypothermia)
  • Dilated pupils
  • Difficulty breathing (dyspnea)
  • Increased blood glucose
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of body movement control (ataxia)
  • Rapid breathing (tachypnea)
  • Respiratory depression
  • Sedation
  • Seizures
  • Shock

Cardiac System

  • Slow heart rate (bradycardia)
  • High blood pressure (hypertension)
  • Low blood pressure (hypotension)

Gastrointestinal System

  • Appetite loss
  • Bloating
  • Dehydration
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Slow intestinal activity
  • Vomiting
  • Weight loss

 Types

  • Oral amitraz insecticide poisoning is caused by your dog eating or drinking something containing amitraz, such as a collar or shampoo
  • Topical amitraz insecticide poisoning happens if your dog is treated with amitraz shampoo that is mixed in the wrong concentration or without being diluted; topical poisoning can also happen when shampooing a dog who is sensitive to amitraz, such as toy breeds or puppies

Causes of Flea and Tick Dips and Shampoos Poisoning in Dogs

Both oral and topical amitraz poisoning can be caused by treating certain breeds:

  • Affenpinschers
  • Brussels Griffons
  • Chihuahuas
  • Chins
  • Havanese
  • Italian Greyhounds
  • Maltese
  • Miniature Pinschers
  • Papillons
  • Pekingese
  • Pomeranians
  • Poodles
  • Pugs
  • Shih Tzus
  • Spaniels
  • Terriers

Oral amitraz poisoning is caused by the ingestion of:

  • Collar
  • Shampoo
  • Dip solution

Topical amitraz poisoning

  • Wrong dilution of shampoo or dip
  • Using medication on puppies or elderly dogs
  • Applying more than one type of medication containing amitraz

Diagnosis of Flea and Tick Dips and Shampoos Poisoning in Dogs

A complete physical examination will first be done, which includes weight, height, body temperature, blood pressure, reflexes, heart rate, and respirations. Be sure that your veterinarian has all of your dog’s medical history, including most recent illnesses or injuries, shot records, and any behavioral changes you have noticed lately. Your veterinarian will also need to complete some laboratory tests including urinalysis, blood chemistry profile, complete blood count (CBC), blood gas, glucose level, liver enzyme test, and radiographs (x-rays) or ultrasound of the abdomen to see if there is evidence that your dog swallowed a collar (buckle or pieces of collar). A liquid chromatography test may also be done to check for amitraz insecticide in your dog’s plasma, stomach contents, or hair follicles.

Treatment of Flea and Tick Dips and Shampoos Poisoning in Dogs

Treatment for amitraz insecticide poisoning caused by flea and tick collrs or dips and shampoos depends on whether it was an oral or topical poisoning. Topical poisoning requires immediate bathing with mild soap and a lot of water. Oral ingestion includes inducing vomiting with a peroxide solution or apomorphine if it has been less than 24 hours. Charcoal can absorb the amitraz, helping to eliminate the chemical and pieces of the collar in the feces. A laxative and enema may also be administered to hasten evacuation of the bowels about 15 hours after ingestion. Atipamezole or yohimbine may be used to reverse clinical signs, such as decreased heart rate, depressed nervous system and the effects of high blood pressure. The veterinarian will also administer IV fluids and medication to control blood pressure, body temperature, and dehydration. Your dog will be in the hospital for at least 24 hours after recovery for observation. It is possible to have a recurrence of symptoms with some dogs. The veterinarian will watch for abnormal body temperature, production of urine, blood pressure, heart rate, and glucose level.

Recovery of Flea and Tick Dips and Shampoos Poisoning in Dogs

You should continue to watch your dog closely for any recurrence of symptoms for at least 72 hours. Return to your veterinarian within two weeks for a follow-up examination and do not hesitate to call your veterinarian if you have any questions or concerns about your dog’s condition. To prevent this from happening in the future, it is important to follow all of the directions carefully when treating your dog, or other pets, for fleas, ticks, or any other parasites. Keep all medications out of the reach of your dog.

Flea and Tick Dips and Shampoos Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

3 pups 2 sick
Austrailian shepard and english springer spainel
6 Weeks
Serious condition
0 found helpful
Serious condition

Has Symptoms

Dizzy

I have 2 pups 6 weeks old now, my husband washed them with big dog flea shampoo by accident he didn't know not to I usually wash them I have 2 acting weird dizzy can't stand won't eat or drink I have rehashed them with baby shampoo but when he washed them they started drinking the water. So I am afraid they injested some of the soap. We gave them a vitamin k capsule to help them and they seem to be running a fever what can I do I don't want to loose my babies

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
3192 Recommendations
In these cases it is important to bathe the dogs again with a sensitive shampoo and to offer supportive care, if their symptoms are severe you should visit your Veterinarian for an examination for further supportive and symptomatic care especially considering their young age and size. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM

Add a comment to 3 pups 2 sick's experience

Was this experience helpful?

Thor
Cocker Spaniel
12 Weeks
Moderate condition
1 found helpful
Moderate condition

Has Symptoms

Droopy lowereyelid

I just got a new puppy he was infested with fleas I had to give him two baths with special shampoo for flea to finely get him free of fleas is very possible that some got in his eye today I realize he has a little of droopy eye. Can that be from the shampoo? I just got him yesterday by the time we got home was very late and then it took me about 3h for the entire procedure so is no way of knowing if he was the same yesterday. Thank you!

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
3192 Recommendations
It is possible that something is irritating Thor’s eye, however you should flush the eye out with sterile saline to be on the safe side and to monitor; if the eye doesn’t improve or there are any other symptoms you should pop into your local Veterinarian for an examination to be on the safe side. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM

Thank you so much we made a appointment with Veterinarian just to be safe considering that it dint improve.

Add a comment to Thor's experience

Was this experience helpful?

Blacky
Labrador Retriever
11 Years
Moderate condition
0 found helpful
Moderate condition

Has Symptoms

Now sleeping,

Vomiting after ingesting cypermethrin shampoo, not willing to eat, restlessness, yelping, I had her bath with cypermethrin shampoo she has ingested some I believe, whatever she is eating is throwing out

Dr. Michele King, DVM
Dr. Michele King, DVM
1519 Recommendations
Blacky needs to see a veterinarian, as she may be having GI upset related to the shampoo, or another reason. Since I can't see her, having her seen by a veterinarian who can examine her and determine what might be going on will help to determine what treatment she may need.

Add a comment to Blacky's experience

Was this experience helpful?