Kalanchoe Poisoning Average Cost

From 554 quotes ranging from $300 - 8,000

Average Cost


First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Kalanchoe Poisoning?

Kalanchoe is a flowering houseplant that is popular because of its hundreds of tiny flowers in all different colors and glossy green leaves with scalloped edges. However, it is also poisonous to dogs as well as other animals and children. Some of the common names for kalanchoe are chandelier plant, mother of millions, and devil’s backbone. Five different bufadienolides have been found in Kalanchoe daigremontiana and two of these, daigremontianin and bersaldegenin 1,3,5-orthoacetate, have been shown to have a strong sedative-like effect on dogs and cause imbalances in the electrolytes in your dog’s heart. In addition, in higher doses they can affect the central nervous system.

Kalanchoe poisoning is a serious condition that can be fatal if not treated right away. The toxic principles in the kalanchoe plant are cardenolides and bufadienolides, which are both cardiac glycoside toxins that are similar to digitalis. These glycosides are present in all parts of the kalanchoe plant and even in the water from the vase or container your kalanchoe is in. But the flowers are the most toxic because they contain the highest concentration of cardiac glycosides. If your dog eats any part of the kalanchoe, it can interrupt the body’s ability to control electrolytes, which causes abnormal heart rate, seizures, and can even be fatal. Besides the cardiac symptoms, consumption of kalanchoe also affects the gastrointestinal system and nervous system. If you think your dog has consumed any part of a kalanchoe plant, it is a life threatening emergency and you should see a veterinary professional immediately.

Book First Walk Free!

Symptoms of Kalanchoe Poisoning in Dogs

The symptoms of kalanchoe poisoning depend on the type of plant, part of the plant, and amount consumed.

  • Abnormal heart rate
  • Cardiac arrhythmias
  • Collapse
  • Death
  • Decreased heart rate
  • Depression
  • Diarrhea
  • Dilated pupils
  • Drooling
  • Increased heart rate
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Nausea
  • Seizures
  • Tremors
  • Unsteady gait
  • Vomiting
  • Weakness


The kalanchoe plant has many different nicknames, such as mother-in-law plant, mother of millions, Mexican-hat plant, chandelier plant, and devil’s backbone. Kalanchoe is from the Crassulaceae family of approximately 200 species, but most grow in Australia, Madagascar, and Africa. However, there are 10 that are common in the United States, and these are usually kept as ornamental houseplants because they cannot tolerate cold.

  • Kalanchoe beauverdii – sotre-sotry
  • Kalanchoe beharensis - velvet leaf, felt plant, felt bush
  • Kalanchoe blossfeldiana – florist’s kalanchoe, Madagascar widow’s-thrill
  • Kalanchoe daigremontiana - devil's backbone, Mexican-hat plant, mother of thousands
  • Kalanchoe delagoensis – mother of millions, chandelier plant
  • Kalanchoe gastonis-bonnieri - donkey ears, life plant
  • Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi – South American love plant, lavender scallops
  • Kalanchoe laciniata – Christmas tree plant
  • Kalanchoe pinnata – air plant, Mexican love plant, cathedral bells
  • Kalanchoe prolifera – blooming boxes

Causes of Kalanchoe Poisoning in Dogs

The toxic principles in kalanchoe are bufadienolide cardiac glycosides. In fact, five different bufadienolides have been found in kalanchoe daigremontiana, two of which can produce serious symptoms in your dog.


  • Changes in the central nervous system.
  • Disrupts the heart function
  • Extreme sedative effect

Bersaldegenin 1,3,5-orthoacetate

  • Changes in the central nervous system.
  • Disrupts the heart function
  • Extreme sedative effect

Diagnosis of Kalanchoe Poisoning in Dogs

Your veterinarian will want details about how much and what kind of plant your dog ate as well as how long ago it happened. The team will also need to know what symptoms your dog has shown, if any. Bring part of the plant with you if you can and have your dog’s medical history available too, including any health problems or illnesses and vaccination records. A physical examination will be done including body temperature, blood pressure, breath sounds, heart rate, respirations, physical appearance, blood oxygen level (pulse oximetry), weight, reflexes, and inspection of the ears, eyes, nose, and mouth.

Laboratory tests needed for diagnosis are a complete blood count (CBC), biochemistry profile, electrolyte levels, and blood urea nitrogen (BUN) levels. Many of your dog’s BUN levels will be increased in the case of kalanchoe poisoning including calcium, protein, potassium, magnesium, and creatinine. A urinalysis may show a decrease in specific gravity, increased lipase, glucose, and amylase. Additionally, a CT scan or MRI may be necessary to determine if there is any internal damage. There are specific blood tests available to detect the cardiac glycosides, as well as to monitor the levels of glycosides in your dog’s system, however the expense of these tests may limit their accessibility for diagnosis.

Treatment of Kalanchoe Poisoning in Dogs

Vomiting is usually not induced in cases of cardiac glycoside poisoning because of the rapid absorption of the toxins. Activated charcoal is likely to be used to absorb as many toxins as possible and a gastric lavage may be done with saline solution to clear any remaining toxins from your dog’s stomach.

Supportive treatment includes IV fluids for dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Medication for arrhythmia such as lidocaine or atropine can be used to return the heart rate to normal.

Recovery of Kalanchoe Poisoning in Dogs

Your dog’s health is usually back to normal within 24 hours if treated right away. Be sure to provide your dog with a safe and quiet place to rest at home to avoid any more stress on the heart. If your dog had to be anesthetized for treatment, some disorientation should be expected, but if you have any questions or concerns, call your veterinarian right away.