Lily of the Valley Poisoning Average Cost

From 407 quotes ranging from $250 - 2,000

Average Cost

$500

First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Lily of the Valley Poisoning?

Lily of the valley is a perennial flowering plant that spreads underground like other bulb-type flowers such as the tulip and daffodil. They are about two feet tall when fully grown with dozens of sweet-smelling, bell-shaped flowers and berries (fruit) in the late spring and summer. The lily of the valley is a toxic plant that needs to be treated like any other poisonous substance around pets and children because it can be fatal to whoever consumes any part of the plant, roots, flowers, or berries within hours if treatment is not given right away.

The lily of the valley is not a true lily, but it is one of the more dangerous flowers that are commonly recognized as a lily because of its name. These beautiful flowering plants have tiny bell-shaped flowers and although they are not the cause of kidney damage, such as with other lilies, they can still be lethal. The whole plant has toxic levels of cardiac glycosides, but the bulbs (roots) are the most dangerous, causing serious life-threatening symptoms within hours of consumption. Almost 40 different cardiac glycosides (cardenolides) have been isolated within the lily of the valley. As if that is not bad enough, this lily also contains saponins, which are other properties that are toxic to dogs, cats, and children if they are eaten.

Book First Walk Free!

Symptoms of Lily of the Valley Poisoning in Dogs

Depending on the part of the flower or plant eaten and amount consumed, the symptoms can vary a great deal. In some cases, just eating one bulb can cause serious cardiac abnormalities, such as with a small or older dog. In fact, once you start noticing serious symptoms in your dog, it may be too late to get help. Some of the most common symptoms are:

  • Abnormal heart rate
  • Cardiac arrhythmias
  • Collapse
  • Death
  • Decreased heart rate
  • Depression
  • Diarrhea
  • Dilated pupils
  • Drooling
  • Increased heart rate
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Nausea
  • Seizures
  • Sudden death
  • Tremors
  • Unsteady gait
  • Vomiting
  • Weakness

 Types

The lily of the valley (Convallaria majalis) originated in Europe, but it has since been cultivated to be grown in the United States, especially in the eastern states, such as Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Virginia. While there are many types of lily of the valley species, the most common in the United States are:

  • C. majalis Albostriata
  • C. majalis Berlin Giant
  • C. majalis Green Tapestry
  • C. majalis Rosea
  • C. majalis Flore Pleno

Causes of Lily of the Valley Poisoning in Dogs

The causes of lily of the valley poisoning are cardiac glycosides and saponins. Close to 40 cardiac glycosides (cardenolides) have been found in the lily of the valley. These compounds can cause serious heart abnormalities.

Diagnosis of Lily of the Valley Poisoning in Dogs

Bring a piece of the plant to show the veterinarian and relay details about how long ago it happened, how much and what part of the plant your dog ate. In addition, let them know what symptoms your dog has shown, if any. Bring your dog’s medical history including age, breed, health problems, injuries, medications, and vaccination records. A thorough examination will be done including physical appearance, heart rate, respirations, blood oxygen level, body temperature, blood pressure, breath sounds, reflexes, weight, and inspection of the eyes, ears, nose, and mouth.

Laboratory tests needed for diagnosis are a complete blood count (CBC), biochemistry profile, electrolyte levels, and blood urea nitrogen (BUN) levels. A urinalysis can show your dog’s specific gravity and glucose levels. Many of your dog’s levels will be increased in the case of lily of the valley poisoning including creatinine, calcium, magnesium, potassium, glucose, and protein. Additionally, x-rays, ultrasound, CT scan, or MRI may be needed to determine if there is any internal damage. There are specific blood tests available to detect the cardiac glycosides, but they are very expensive and not that reliable.

Treatment of Lily of the Valley Poisoning in Dogs

With lily of the valley poisoning, causing your dog to vomit with a peroxide solution is not recommended because it is so rapidly absorbed. However, clearing the stomach of remaining plant particles with a gastric lavage may be done along with activated charcoal to absorb any remaining toxins

Supportive treatment includes intravenous (IV) fluids and electrolytes for dehydration and oxygen as needed. Medication for arrhythmia, such as lidocaine or atropine, can also be administered to return the heart rate to normal.

Recovery of Lily of the Valley Poisoning in Dogs

You can expect your dog to be back to normal within a few days if treatment was done within the first several hours of symptoms. Make sure your dog has a peaceful place to rest at home away from any stress, such as small children or other pets. Your dog may be disoriented for a while if anesthesia was used during treatment. However, if you have any questions or concerns, call your veterinarian.

Lily of the Valley Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Lyla
Miniature Australian Shepherd
4 Years
Fair condition
0 found helpful
Fair condition

My 45 pound Aussie mix ate 1 or 2 bites of Lilly of the valley leaves. I had just taken her on an off leash walk in the woods. She must have eaten something in the woods that made her sick because when I got home she started eating grass, ferns, and a bite maybe two of Lilly of the valley in my back yard. No symptoms yet from the lily of the valley 30 minutes later. She had a stomach ache before she ate the Lilly of the valley.

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
2937 Recommendations
Lily of the valley is a highly toxic plant to dogs and ingestion may lead to death; it is important to visit your Veterinarian if you know or suspect that Lyla has consumed any as the lily of the valley contains cardiac glycosides which may cause heart arrhythmias, seizures, other neurological symptoms and death in some cases. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/lily-of-the-valley/

Add a comment to Lyla's experience

Was this experience helpful?

Shep
Beagle mix
5 Months
Fair condition
0 found helpful
Fair condition

Has Symptoms

None

Medication Used

none

My dog ingested a few crabapple and Lilly of the valley berries. Unknown amount. He's 5 months old and had no symptoms. Normal appetite, normal feces, normal urine, normal energy

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
2937 Recommendations

Lily of the valley poisoning can be very severe and may lead to death as it contains compound which affect heart function; crab apple seeds (like normal apples) contain cyanide which may also lead to death. If ingestion was in the last two hours or so I would recommend inducing vomiting immediately with 3% hydrogen peroxide before visiting your Veterinarian, if you do not have any hydrogen peroxide just visit your Veterinarian. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM
www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/lily-of-the-valley/

Add a comment to Shep 's experience

Was this experience helpful?

Thor
Gerberian Shepsky
8 Weeks
Mild condition
0 found helpful
Mild condition

Has Symptoms

Vomiting

Three days ago we had to put a puppy down after she ate a lily of the valley. She was too weak with only a 5% chance to survive. Her 8 week old brother showed her first symptom so we immediately had him throw up and began a regiment of pedialyte every hour to keep him hydrated. The second night he started playing again and even ate a little puppy and people food. His sister had bloody diarrhea while he has not, but he is still throwing up on occassion. Is he past normal recovery time or should we give it more time? He's still getting pedialyte in his regular water and I've been making him a puree of high protein puppy (red meat tube) food and colostrum. He's roughly 13 lbs and had a teaspon of 3% hydrogen peroxide followed by lots of puppy milk after he threw up. Because of everything different in his diet I partially think that could be the cause of his upset stomach.

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
2937 Recommendations
Thankfully lily of the valley isn’t a true lily so we don’t need to be concerned with kidney failure, but we still need to ensure that Thor continues to receive symptomatic care; you didn’t indicate any specific time frame so it is not possible to reference, but if you have any concerns you should have a follow up with your Veterinarian to be on the safe side. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/lily-of-the-valley/

Add a comment to Thor's experience

Was this experience helpful?