Moldy Food (Mycotoxins) Poisoning in Dogs

Veterinary reviewed by: Dr. Linda Simon, MVB MRCVS

Moldy Food (Mycotoxins) Poisonings in Dogs - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Veterinary reviewed by: Dr. Linda Simon, MVB MRCVS

Moldy Food (Mycotoxins) Poisonings in Dogs - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

What is Moldy Food (Mycotoxins) Poisoning?

Mycotoxins are poisonous substances produced by fungi and molds that grow on spoiled food. These substances are toxic to dogs as well as humans and can pose a problem for pets that like to eat food out of the trash. There are many different kinds of mycotoxins which are divided into several families. The most common group are tremorgenic, meaning that they contain a neurotoxin which causes tremors or seizures in dogs. 

Tremorgenic mycotoxins are produced by various Penicillium species of bacteria, with penitrem-A being the substance that most frequently causes poisoning in dogs. Penitrem-A is found on many types of spoiled food, including, bread, dairy products, and nuts. This type of poisoning is relatively common in dogs, with immediate symptoms of vomiting, tremors, and fever. Without treatment, high doses can cause fatal seizures.

Other toxic mycotoxins can also be present including aflatoxins produced by aspergillus fungi. These mycotoxins are metabolized in the liver and may cause hepatocellular necrosis (liver cell death) which will affect liver function giving dogs a yellowish, jaundiced appearance. Fusarium mold containing trichothecene mycotoxins can also sometimes be found on old or contaminated pet food. This will cause vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. Severe mycotoxin poisoning can result in death and even non-fatal doses may be symptomatic for up to five days. Veterinary treatment can reduce the symptoms and help to eliminate the toxins faster, greatly increasing the dog’s chances of recovery.

Moldy food can contain mycotoxins that are poisonous to your dog. If ingested, the syndrome that can occur is called mycotoxin intoxication or mycotoxin toxicosis. Seizures and tremors are the most common symptoms. Severe cases can be fatal without treatment.

Youtube Play

Moldy Food (Mycotoxins) Poisoning Average Cost

From 79 quotes ranging from $200 - $3,000

Average Cost

$1,000

Symptoms of Moldy Food (Mycotoxins) Poisoning in Dogs

These symptoms could indicate mycotoxin poisoning.

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Restlessness
  • Disorientation
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • High fever (hyperthermia)
  • Jaundiced appearance (icterus)
  • Abdominal pain

Types

These are some of the mycotoxins found frequently in moldy food.

Penitrem-A

  • The most common type of tremorgenic mycotoxin associated with poisoning in dogs, frequently found in mold growing on bread, nuts, cheese and other spoiled products

Aflatoxins

  • Produced by aspergillus fungi this can also be a component in many types of mold
  • In dogs, it can affect liver function and may cause icterus (jaundice)

Vomitoxin

  • A trichothecene mycotoxin produced by Fusarium mold that grows on grains such as those found in bread or dog food
  • This is an infrequent cause of poisoning in dogs that is mainly caused by contaminated dog food

Roquefortine

  • Another tremorgenic mycotoxin frequently found with penitrem-A
arrow-up-icon

Top

Causes of Moldy Food (Mycotoxins) Poisoning in Dogs

These are some of the causes and risk factors for mycotoxin poisoning.

  • Spoiled food left in an open trashcan
  • Compost heap
  • Feeding spoiled food to a dog
arrow-up-icon

Top

Diagnosis of Moldy Food (Mycotoxins) Poisoning in Dogs

A history of moldy food ingestion is the easiest way of identifying a likely mycotoxin poisoning in your dog. Whenever possible, you should bring a sample of the suspected substance with you so the veterinarian will be able to better identify the mycotoxin that is causing the problem. If aflatoxins are present, a blood test will show reduced liver function, but other mycotoxins rarely have obvious diagnostic markers. 

Lab testing of the spoiled food or the contents of your dog’s stomach will be necessary to definitively diagnose mycotoxin toxicosis and identify the substance that is causing your dog’s symptoms. The veterinarian will also need to test for alternative causes since ingestion of other toxic substances like ethylene glycol, hydrocarbons or amphetamines could cause similar symptoms. A history of your dog’s recent activities may be helpful, especially if you didn’t see the incident.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Treatment of Moldy Food (Mycotoxins) Poisoning in Dogs

Initial treatment will focus on eliminating the toxic substance. Vomiting may be induced or gastric lavage may be done under anesthesia. Activated charcoal may be given to reduce absorption in the stomach as well as a cathartic medication to initiate bowel movements. Intravenous fluids usually form part of the therapy too.

More advanced cases will require medication to control symptoms. Diazepam is often prescribed to control seizures with tremorgenic mycotoxins. Intravenous methocarbamol may be necessary with very severe seizures. For aflatoxin poisoning, intravenous fluids and electrolytes will be necessary to support liver function and blood transfusions might be required in severe cases. Corticosteroids may be prescribed if your dog is in shock as well as other medications to regulate body temperature.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Worried about the cost of Moldy Food Mycotoxins Poisoning treatment?

Pet Insurance covers the cost of many common pet health conditions. Prepare for the unexpected by getting a quote from top pet insurance providers.

Recovery of Moldy Food (Mycotoxins) Poisoning in Dogs

Most dogs will survive mycotoxin poisoning with aggressive treatment. It is important to get treatment however, since this type of toxicity can be fatal. Finding and removing the cause of poisoning will be necessary to prevent a recurrence. You should buy fresh dog food and throw away the old food in a sealed container or a dog-proof garbage can. Buying dog food in smaller quantities can reduce the risk of contamination. 

Spoiled food should be disposed of in a garbage disposal whenever possible. Rinse out old milk cartons or bottles before recycling them. Keep sealed lids on all your garbage cans and try to train your dog not to go through trash; teaching a 'leave it' command can come in very useful, especially when out and about. Avoid feeding any spoiled food to your dog. Food that is not fit for human consumption will likely be toxic for your dog also.

A high-quality diet is essential for keeping your [dog/cat] happy and healthy. Digestive problems and food allergies can be expensive to treat. Compare pet health insurance plans to save more than $270 a year on vet care.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Moldy Food (Mycotoxins) Poisoning Average Cost

From 79 quotes ranging from $200 - $3,000

Average Cost

$1,000

arrow-up-icon

Top

Moldy Food (Mycotoxins) Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

dog-name-icon

dog-breed-icon

mastiff mix

dog-age-icon

One Year

thumbs-up-icon

14 found helpful

thumbs-up-icon

14 found helpful

Has Symptoms

Not Eating

Took a piece of Moldy food out if my dogs mouth on a walk last night. Don't think she swallowed any but she's not eating today. She did go on her walk, her poop was normal, and she drank water

March 7, 2021

Owner

answer-icon

Dr. Linda S. MVB MRCVS

recommendation-ribbon

14 Recommendations

Most dogs tolerate moldy food well, especially large breeds. The fact she likely didn't eat much bodes well and the lack of appetite could be unrelated. Monitor for further signs such as vomiting, diarrhoea or lethargy and consider offering tasty food such as warm warm today. If she doesn't improve soon, a vet visit is best.

March 7, 2021

Was this experience helpful?

dog-name-icon

dog-breed-icon

Black Mouth Cur

dog-age-icon

Three Years

thumbs-up-icon

12 found helpful

thumbs-up-icon

12 found helpful

Has Symptoms

My dog may have eaten a small amount of mold from a bite of old canned dog food. Noticed small mold on the can cover afterward. Does he require treatment if no symptoms are present? Also, would it better to give him more (fresh) food and water or is it better for him to have less in his stomach?

Jan. 6, 2021

Owner

answer-icon

Dr. Linda S. MVB MRCVS

recommendation-ribbon

12 Recommendations

Hi there, thank you for your question. Most dogs have very strong stomach acid and robust gastrointestinal systems so they can typically tolerate gone off food better than us and won'y necessarily suffer ill effects from a little mold. Monitor for signs such as vomiting, diarrhoea or a reduced appetite but we wouldn't be likely to see them. I would probably let his stomach rest and not feed too much just in case.

Jan. 6, 2021

Was this experience helpful?

Moldy Food (Mycotoxins) Poisoning Average Cost

From 79 quotes ranging from $200 - $3,000

Average Cost

$1,000

Need pet insurance?
Need pet insurance?

Learn more in the Wag! app

Five starsFive starsFive starsFive starsFive stars

43k+ reviews

Install


© 2022 Wag Labs, Inc. All rights reserved.