Fort Caroline National Memorial encompasses a total area of about 140 acres of land that is located along the Saint Johns River and about 13 miles east of downtown Jacksonville, Florida. The national memorial was established on September 21, 1950, to commemorate two centuries of French and Spanish colonial rivalry on the continent of North America.
This began with the establishment of a French Huguenot settlement in 1564-1565 that is in the national memorial. Fort Caroline was established under the stewardship of René Goulaine de Laudonnière on June 22, 1564, as a new territorial claim in French Florida and a safe haven for Huguenots.
The Spanish, in turn, established St. Augustine in September 1565 under the leadership of Pedro Menéndez de Avilés, and subsequently attacked Fort Caroline on September 20 of the same month and kicked out the French. The Spanish held this port until 1569 and named it San Mateo.
The Fort Caroline National Memorial is today managed as a part of the Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve although it remains a distinct entity of the National Park Service. Besides the historical attraction of the park, Fort Bowie National Historic Site is also a favorite place for visitors to enjoy recreational activities like hiking, and guided tours.
Some of the amenities that visitors to the park can get to enjoy include self-guided trails, picnic area, restrooms, visitor center, and a museum/exhibit. Dogs are certainly allowed into Fort Bowie National Historic Site although some restrictions will apply. Some of these rules, regulations, and expectations regarding dogs are as follows.
First, dogs should be kept away from all park buildings including the visitor center and museum/exhibit. Secondly, dogs should always be kept on a leash that should not be more than six feet in length. Third, dog owners are expected to ensure that their dog is well-behaved and that they clean up after their dog.