Horseshoe Bend National Military Park encompasses a total area of about 2,000 acres of land in Tallapoosa County, east-central Alabama. The closest metropolis near the park is Alexander City, Alabama. The park is also located approximately 12 miles from Dadeville town. Access to the park is relatively simple as long as you use AL 49. The park is managed by the NPS (National Park Service) and was authorized on July 25, 1956.
The buildings at the park were however built in 1813 around the time of the last battle of the Creek War on March 27, 1814. The war resulted in the death of almost 800 Upper Creeks who were pitted against a Tennessee militia led by General Andrew Jackson. General Andrew Jackson's army was also bolstered and aided by the 39th U.S. Infantry Regiment as well as Lower Creek and Cherokee allies.
General Jackson had a decisive victory against the Upper Creeks leading to the most substantial loss of Native American life in a single battle in the history of the United States. On August 9, 1814, the Creeks ceded 23 million acres after signing the Treaty of Fort Jackson. Horseshoe Bend National Military Park was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on October 15, 1966.
Today, the military park not only has the historical significance as a reminder of the events from the past but it is also a place where the local people and everyone else can come and enjoy recreational activities at the park. Some of the recreational activities at the Horseshoe Bend National Military Park include living history programs, hiking, canoeing, fishing, and auto touring.
Dogs are also allowed into the Horseshoe Bend National Military Park for those that love to enjoy the outdoors with their furry friends. That said, it is essential for the dogs and their companions to always remain leashed and to be aware of areas of the park that are prohibited to dogs. Additionally, dog owners should ensure that they always clean up after their dogs.