Vitamin K Therapy in Dogs

Veterinary reviewed by: Dr. Linda Simon, MVB MRCVS

Vitamin K Therapy  in Dogs - Conditions Treated, Procedure, Efficacy, Recovery, Cost, Considerations, Prevention

Veterinary reviewed by: Dr. Linda Simon, MVB MRCVS

Vitamin K Therapy  in Dogs - Conditions Treated, Procedure, Efficacy, Recovery, Cost, Considerations, Prevention

What is Vitamin K Therapy?

Dogs are known to get into and eat just about anything. However, many household products are dangerous and can poison your dog. A common poison for dogs to find and eat is rodent or rat poison. Despite your best efforts to keep your dog away from such toxins, even the best-behaved dogs have found their way into places they do not belong. If you suspect your dog has eaten rodent or rat poison, have your veterinarian examine your dog immediately. Depending on the poison, it may lead to internal bleeding as the clotting cascade is disrupted. Because of Vitamin K’s potent clotting factor properties, your veterinarian will likely start Vitamin K therapy for your dog if they have ingested such a toxin.

Youtube Play

Vitamin K Therapy Procedure in Dogs

It is imperative to take your dog to your local veterinarian’s office or a nearby emergency animal hospital if your dog has ingested this type of toxin or if you suspect your dog has ingested a poison. Once you are with your veterinarian, they will induce vomiting. They may also start a fluid drip and provide activated charcoal meals, to minimise absorption of the toxin. The techs will do a blood CBC (Complete Blood Count) and assess your dog's clotting ability. Your veterinarian will start Vitamin K therapy in the office with a parenteral injection dose of Vitamin K. Once your dog is stable and ready to go home with you, your veterinarian will send you home with Vitamin K pills to administer to your dog daily for the following four to six weeks. Your dog will need to visit your veterinarian for regular blood work during this time to monitor blood coagulation and potential anemia.

If your dog’s condition is more severe, your veterinarian may request to hospitalize the dog. The most serious cases could require whole blood transfusions.

No matter the length of stay at the veterinary hospital, once your dog is cleared for release, you will have to continue the Vitamin K therapy at home.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Efficacy of Vitamin K Therapy in Dogs

There is a strong correlation between the type of poison the dog ingested and how quickly the dog was made to vomit and was administered charcoal and Vitamin K therapy and the rate of efficacy. The fewer toxins ingested and the larger the dog, the better chance of survival for the animal. However, either way, immediate treatment is necessary, no matter the size of the dog. If the poison is not known, your veterinarian will assumedly base treatment on the most dangerous of toxins. Warfarin is an anticoagulant and the easiest of the rodent toxins to treat. The other toxin commonly used to eliminate rats and mice is a neurotoxin and more dangerous. If you are unsure which poison your dog ingested, you veterinarian may treat for the more aggressive toxin. The more information you can offer your vet, the better chances of survival your dog will have.

Once your dog is well and has completed Vitamin K therapy, your veterinarian may still test on a regular basis for anemia and prescribe Vitamin K supplements or iron supplements to improve the condition of your dog’s blood.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Vitamin K Therapy Recovery in Dogs

Once your dog starts Vitamin K therapy, it could be up to a week before the depleted blood supply is replenished. You’ll need to watch your dog closely as he will be at risk of bleeding for several weeks. Your dog will need to recover in a quiet area with minimal activity. Keep your dog calm and walk them on a leash only for elimination purposes. Your veterinarian will discuss your dog’s diet before leaving their care. Your dog may be placed on a soft diet under supervision. It will take a few weeks of quiet rest for the Vitamin K to replenish the clotting factors in your dog’s blood.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Cost of Vitamin K Therapy in Dogs

Rat poison treatment and Vitamin K Therapy will cost anywhere between $1,000 and $3,000. Depending on how many office visits your dog requires, the type of initial treatment, and how long your dog will need Vitamin K therapy, this cost could be higher.

An office visit with your veterinarian should cost about $50. The cost of the Vitamin K shot and the vitamin K supplements for the weeks to follow will be about $150 to $300. The necessary blood work and follow-up exams will be $300 to $500 in total.

However, a trip to the emergency veterinary hospital could cause your costs to double or triple. Also, if a blood transfusion in necessary, these costs could be higher as well.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Worried about the cost of Vitamin K Therapy treatment?

Pet Insurance covers the cost of many common pet health conditions. Prepare for the unexpected by getting a quote from top pet insurance providers.

Dog Vitamin K Therapy Considerations

If your dog has been poisoned, please get to the veterinarian or emergency animal hospital right away. Anticoagulant rat or rodent poisoning is meant to cause animals to bleed out. This is a life-threatening form of poisoning which needs to be treated as soon as possible. Vitamin K therapy has a high rate of efficacy if poisoning is caught early. If treatment is delayed, your dog may be bleeding internally without signs. Even after Vitamin K therapy, your dog may still be at risk of anemia so blood work may become routine at regular office visits following the Vitamin K therapy. 

arrow-up-icon

Top

Vitamin K Therapy Prevention in Dogs

The absolute most effective way to prevent poisoning of your dog is to keep your dog away from toxins. If you must rid your property of rodents, you can trap and release elsewhere. Be vigilant about keeping an eye on your pets if you must treat your property with poisons. When possible, remember to look for how rats are entering the premises and hide the poison in small areas your dog cannot access. Also, be very careful when you let your dog roam freely. Other properties may have poison readily available for your dog to find and eat. Keep your dog on a leash when walking or stay with a free-roaming dog for supervised outdoor play. 

Most pet insurance companies don’t cover pre-existing conditions. To avoid stress and high veterinary care costs, insure your pet today. To avoid high veterinary care costs, secure pet health insurance today and save up to $273 each year.

Curious about which health plan is right for your dog? Head over to our breakdown of the best pet insurance plans.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Vitamin K Therapy Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

dog-name-icon

dog-breed-icon

Aspin

dog-age-icon

Three Years

thumbs-up-icon

2 found helpful

thumbs-up-icon

2 found helpful

Has Symptoms

N/A

my dog ate rat poison, he already vomited but I'm still worried. what should I do?

Sept. 27, 2020

Owner

answer-icon

Dr. Michele K. DVM

recommendation-ribbon

2 Recommendations

Thank you for your question. Depending on the type of rat poison, your dog may need veterinary care. It would be best to have him seen to make sure that he is okay, and take the box with you if possible so that they can see what the poison type is. I hope that he is okay!

Oct. 2, 2020

Was this experience helpful?

dog-name-icon

Vicky

dog-breed-icon

Labrador Retriever

dog-age-icon

8 Months

thumbs-up-icon

2 found helpful

thumbs-up-icon

2 found helpful

Has Symptoms

I had an 8 month labrador . I left here for 5 days at my oncle house since I was travelling. 2 days after I came every times she eats she vomit but she was full of energy I thought she didn't like the new food I called my oncle he tolds me that she escaped for at least 4 hours in my absent then she returned home . In the 3rd day after my arrival she became anorexic and not willing to eat even here prefered food. I became to feel worry I asked for a vet he came she wase over producing saliva very weak he told me that she was poisoned. She was not bleading he gaves her an atropine injection+methoclopramid for vomiting and an antibiotic and an antispasmodic after a while there was no.improvement so he place an iv fluid about 200 ml. In the morning there was no.improvement so he takes here to the clinic she began to bleed from.the rectum he started with vitamin k injection im Then another iv and after 8 hours another im. In the morning she passed away.

Aug. 27, 2018

Vicky's Owner

answer-icon

Dr. Michele K. DVM

recommendation-ribbon

2 Recommendations

I am very sorry for your loss, that is very sad. I wish that I knew more about her situation, but it seems that she may have gotten into something while she was missing that caused this problem. It she was missing for 4 hours, it is hard to say what she may have gotten in to. I am very sorry for your loss, again.

Aug. 28, 2018

Was this experience helpful?

Need pet insurance?
Need pet insurance?

Learn more in the Wag! app

Five starsFive starsFive starsFive starsFive stars

43k+ reviews

Install


© 2022 Wag Labs, Inc. All rights reserved.