Jump to section
Barbados aloe is a common household plant used by humans for medicinal purposes. It is particularly useful for burn treatment in humans. This succulent plant commonly goes by the name aloe vera or true aloe, although various common names also apply including octopus plant, medicine plant, torch plant and candelabra plant. Although the gelatinous tissue is commonly used by humans for medicinal purposes, the latex in the aloe plant is toxic to cats and an irritant to humans and other animals. A cat who is medically treated with aloe that has not had the latex removed from it by a well-meaning pet owner, or a cat that accidentally ingests aloe by eating the plant in the house or garden can exhibit symptoms of toxicity. Toxicity in cats from aloe poisoning is usually mild to moderate, although dehydration can occur if reaction to the plant is extreme enough. If aloe poisoning is suspected in your cat, you should seek veterinary assistance.
Although aloe poisoning symptoms are usually mild to moderate, symptoms and severity will vary depending on the amount or duration of exposure to aloe. Symptoms of aloe toxicity in cats are:
If diarrhea is severe dehydration can result.
(aloe vera, true aloe) poisoning is usually the result of exposure to the white latex of the aloe plant and not the gelatinous tissue. It usually requires a significant amount of exposure to aloe to cause poisoning, however some cats will react to even small amounts if they are sensitive to it.
Aloe contains saponins which are glycosides that, when metabolized, increases mucous and water in the colon resulting in abdominal cramping, vomiting and diarrhea.
Cats are naturally curious creatures and may sample aloe plants in their environment. As humans frequently keep this plant in their home or garden for medicinal or ornamental purposes, a curious cat may chew on or ingest the plant accidentally.
Also because humans use aloe for medicinal purposes, a pet owner may inadvertently apply aloe that has not had the latex removed to their cat without being aware of the potential toxic effects.
Aloe used for medicinal purposes usually has the latex removed, as it is also an irritant to humans. However, not everyone is aware of the necessity of removing latex from aloe that is being used for therapeutic purposes.
Your veterinarian will perform a physical examination, checking vital signs and for symptoms of aloe poisoning. The veterinarian will also need a complete medical history of your cat and will ask specifically about exposure, treatment with, or possible ingestion of aloe plant. Your veterinarian may perform tests such as blood and urine tests and radiographs to rule out other conditions and determine any organ damage resulting from aloe plant toxicity.
Treatment of aloe poisoning consists of supportive care and assisting with the removal of the aloe plant and its toxic substances from your pet's gastrointestinal tract.
Supportive care may be administered, such as intravenous fluids, especially if dehydration has occurred, and oxygen therapy if required to increase oxygenation to tissues and organs.
If the aloe plant was recently ingested, vomiting may be induced to expel the plant from the digestive system. Activated charcoal may be administered, which will bind with the plant toxins and allow them to pass through your cat's gastrointestinal system without being further absorbed by your cat's body.
The amount of aloe ingested and how quickly treatment is provided are factors in your pet’s recovery. Usually cats will recover from aloe poisoning if they received veterinary treatment. If severe conditions such as dehydration or organ damage occurred, recovery will be complicated and of longer duration. Follow-up with your veterinarian may be required and rest provided for a cat recovering from toxicity.
Aloe products should not be used to treat cats and plants in the house or garden should be removed if your cat is apt to chew on them.
*Wag! may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Items are sold by the retailer, not Wag!.
Barbados Aloe Poisoning Average Cost
From 218 quotes ranging from $100 - $500
Protect yourself and your pet. Compare top pet insurance plans.
0 found helpful
She ate some aloe and puked it up immediately but I’m concerned about any that may be left in her system. It does look like she puke most of it out. I’ll attach photos of the plant where you can kinda make out about seven leaves with the tips eaten off. It appears she also vomited about the same amount back up. Just wondering if that would be enough to cause aloe poisoning?
Nov. 21, 2020
Dr. Michele K. DVM
Thank you for your question. Aloe typically causes GI upset as a toxicity, and the vomiting may have been related to the Aloe that she ate. If she was able to get that our of her system, she may be fine. If she continues to vomit, she may need medication to help stop the vomiting, and if that is the case, having her seen by a veterinarian would be best. You can feed her a bland diet of boiled white chicken and boiled white rice for 2-3 days to try and settle her stomach, and that may help with the upset stomach as well.
Nov. 21, 2020
Was this experience helpful?
© 2021 Wag Labs, Inc. All rights reserved.
Download the Wag! app
Download the Wag! app