Mushroom, Mold, and Yeast Poisoning Average Cost

From 392 quotes ranging from $200 - 6,000

Average Cost


Jump to Section

What is Mushroom, Mold, and Yeast Poisoning?

Eating Amanita muscaria or Amanita pantherina mushrooms will cause amatoxin poisoning, eating moldy food can cause tremorgenic mycotoxin toxicity, and eating uncooked bread dough can cause life-threatening bloat, and/or alcohol poisoning. Treatment will be dependent upon which one of these three items your cat has eaten.

Ingesting toxic mushrooms, mold, and/or yeast can cause serious and even fatal reactions in cats.  Because of the particular toxins within these items, a cat that has eaten poisonous mushrooms, a moldy piece of food, or unbaked bread dough may begin staggering, appear to be confused, have tremors or seizures, vomit, have diarrhea, become bloated, or experience many other painful symptoms consistent with poisoning.  Poisoning of any kind is very serious and often life-threatening, so your cat must see a veterinarian immediately.

Symptoms of Mushroom, Mold, and Yeast Poisoning in Cats

Amatoxin poisoning from eating toxic mushrooms can cause:

  • Nausea 
  • Drooling 
  • Vomiting 
  • Diarrhea 
  • Abdominal pain 
  • Staggering
  • Lethargy 
  • Tremors 
  • Seizures 
  • Organ failure
  • Death

Tremorgenic mycotoxin toxicity from eating mold can cause:

  • Vomiting 
  • Agitation 
  • Walking drunk 
  • Tremors 
  • Seizures 
  • Hyperthermia, which is high body temperature
  • Death

Eating yeast or uncooked bread dough can cause:

  • Drooling 
  • Retching 
  • Vomiting 
  • Distended stomach 
  • Elevated heart rate 
  • Weakness 
  • Collapse 
  • Hypotension, or low blood pressure 
  • Coma 
  • Hypothermia, or low body temperature 
  • Death

Causes of Mushroom, Mold, and Yeast Poisoning in Cats

While cats tend to be more discriminant eaters than dogs, some cats may be either hungry enough or curious enough to eat certain dried mushrooms, moldy food, or unbaked bread dough.  Eating any of these three can cause the symptoms listed above and would be cause for immediate veterinary attention. 


Cats have been known occasionally to ingest dried Amanita muscaria and Amanita pantherina, both of which are dangerous psychedelic mushrooms that can cause traumatic neurological and gastrointestinal damage and will possibly be fatal to cats. 


When a cat eats food that has mold growing on it, such as food that might be found in a trash can or compost pile, chemical reactions begin within the cat’s body that can make a cat very ill or even result in death. Mold contains tremorgenic mycotoxins, which can cause behavior that mimics severe drunkenness in humans such as staggering, vomiting, and unconsciousness.  


After a cat eats uncooked bread dough, the active yeast in the dough will begin to expand in the dark, moist warmth of the cat’s stomach, perhaps to the point of rupturing the cat’s stomach.  In tremendous pain, the cat will attempt to expel the yeast from its stomach, which may cause choking and suffocation.  If the yeast has been fermented, the alcohol will enter the cat’s bloodstream very quickly, likely causing alcohol poisoning, which results in dangerously low blood sugar, blood pressure, and body temperature.

Diagnosis of Mushroom, Mold, and Yeast Poisoning in Cats

While calling a pet poison hotline can be of help, if you see or suspect that your cat has eaten something poisonous or if your cat begins to show symptoms of poisoning, it is best to take your pet to a veterinarian’s office or veterinary emergency department immediately.  

If at all possible, you should locate a sample of the mushroom, mold, or yeast that your cat has eaten so that you can give it to your veterinarian for identification, which can save valuable time in determining how best to treat your pet.  If the vet is able to positively identify what has poisoned your cat, the vet will be able to begin appropriate treatment immediately.

The vet will ask you what the cat has eaten, how much, when it happened, and how the cat has behaved since eating the poisonous item.  

Your cat will receive a thorough physical examination including measuring body temperature, blood pressure, and pulse. Blood tests may be run to measure blood sugar and other levels and the vet may induce vomiting to expel the remaining poisonous matter from the stomach, which may reveal what poisonous item the cat has ingested.  

The cat will likely be kept for several hours to several days so the veterinarian can observe the cat’s behavior.

Treatment of Mushroom, Mold, and Yeast Poisoning in Cats

Immediate treatment by a veterinarian is essential when a cat has eaten toxic mushrooms, mold, or uncooked bread dough.  Delaying treatment can cause pain and suffering and possibly death.  When you take your cat to the vet, the doctor may:

  • Induce vomiting using an emetic drug such as xylazine, which can empty up to 80% of the stomach’s contents.
  • Administer activated charcoal to absorb toxins remaining in the digestive system.
  • Provide intravenous hydration to replace fluid lost due to vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Administer antibiotics to guard against secondary infections.
  • Perform abdominal surgery to remove poisonous objects that cannot be expelled through vomiting.

Recovery of Mushroom, Mold, and Yeast Poisoning in Cats

Dependent upon how much of the poison your cat ingested and how quickly your cat receives treatment, your cat’s prognosis may be positive.  If so, your cat will likely have to spend a few days at the veterinary hospital for repeated treatment and observation. You will need to make sure that the poisonous items have been removed from places where your cat can get to them. Expect your cat to be lethargic and in need of rest for several days as it recovers, and take your cat back to the vet for follow up appointments.

Mushroom, Mold, and Yeast Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

short hair
9 Years
Fair condition
1 found helpful
Fair condition

Has Symptoms

None yet

My cat pulled a piece of moldy cooked bacon out of the trash and I don't know if he ate the piece that's missing or if it was already missing. He did this a little over an hour ago and seems like normal.

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
3320 Recommendations
Bacon is dangerous for a variety of reasons, the mold only adds to the issues; generally we would expect a cat to vomit themselves but if consumption was within two hours it would be good to get 3% hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. Wait for Cooper to vomit and afterwards withhold food for a few hours; afterwards allow Cooper to eat some small chunks of boiled chicken to see if he can keep them down. If you have any doubts visit your Veterinarian or an Emergency Veterinarian. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM

Add a comment to Cooper's experience

Was this experience helpful?