Chrysanthemum Poisoning Average Cost

From 66 quotes ranging from $200 - 3,000

Average Cost

$650

First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Chrysanthemum Poisoning?

Natural insecticides within specific plants, namely the chrysanthemum, called pyrethroids are chemicals that are synthetic. Permethrin is the insecticide within the chrysanthemum flower and issues to naturally control pests. Common names for the chrysanthemum consist of a variety of types of daisies and mums.

There are also products that contain permethrin used in pesticides that are applied to crops, ornamental flowers, within buildings and structures, and even on clothing. Permethrin comes in the form of powder, liquid, aerosol sprays, and on clothing that has been treated. This synthetic chemical is also used to treat head lice and scabies on humans.

Chrysanthemum poisoning in dogs is a result of dogs consuming chrysanthemum. Chrysanthemum contain pyrethroids, namely permethrin, which is a natural insecticide.

Book First Walk Free!

Symptoms of Chrysanthemum Poisoning in Dogs

If your dog has eaten part of a chrysanthemum, he may exhibit the following symptoms. The onset of symptoms is dependent upon the amount of the plant ingested. Symptoms of chrysanthemum poisoning include:

  • Drooling
  • Coughing
  • Clearing the throat
  • Vomiting
  • Lack of appetite
  • Agitation
  • Shaking

Types

Chrysanthemums contain this natural insecticide, and products on the market use pyrethrin as an ingredient in the following types of products:

  • Household insecticide sprays
  • Ornamental outdoor pesticides
  • Fogging pesticides
  • Roach sprays
  • Ant sprays
  • Flea and tick solutions
  • Hornet sprays
  • Lice treatments
  • Commercial business and building insecticides

Causes of Chrysanthemum Poisoning in Dogs

Pyrethrin is a member of the pyrethroid family, and pyrethroids are considered to be neuropoisons. The cause of pyrethrin poisoning via the chrysanthemum plant is by the dog ingesting the plant. Pyrethrin toxicity is caused by:

  • Greatly affecting the nervous system
  • Altering the permeability of nerve membranes to specific potassium and sodium ions
  • Reacts with metabolic activity and internal temperature

Diagnosis of Chrysanthemum Poisoning in Dogs

If you suspect your dog has ingested chrysanthemum, it is very important to take him to the veterinarian as soon as possible. Once you have taken him to the veterinarian, the physician will ask questions pertaining to the amount of the plant eaten and approximately how much time has passed from the time he ate the chrysanthemum to the time of the appointment.

Depending on if the dog is stable, were veterinarian may or may not run specific tests. If you are definite that the dog ingested the plant, and if the dog is exhibiting symptoms, the veterinarian will go ahead and treat him without wasting any time. However, if the dog is stable and only showing a few symptoms, the veterinarian will do a complete physical examination, do blood testing to check the blood glucose levels, monitor the dog’s temperature, possibly doing urinalysis, and examine his skin and fur to see if possibly the dog got any of the natural chemical on his body. If so, the veterinarian will want to decontaminate him by giving him a bath.

The physician is very familiar and knowledgeable of the symptoms of pyrethrin toxicity, and by communicating with you about the dog’s history, the knowledge of the dog being around the plant, and looking at his clinical signs will determine the veterinarian’s method of treatment.

Treatment of Chrysanthemum Poisoning in Dogs

Treatment is based on the level of toxicity and your dog’s symptoms. The first thing the veterinarian may do is administer activated charcoal to aid in the absorption of the pyrethrin. Other treatment methods for chrysanthemum poisoning in dogs may include:

Muscle Relaxants

Muscle relaxants, such as methocarbamol, can greatly reduce any tremors or shaking the dog maybe having. Methocarbamol may need to be administered several times.

Anti-Seizure Drugs

If your dog is having seizures, the veterinarian may choose to administer an anti-seizure drug. Pentobarbital or diazepam may be given.

IV Fluids

IV fluids may be given to stabilize the dog’s system, keep him hydrated, and help with kidney function in excreting the toxic substance.

Monitoring

If your dog has a moderate to severe case of toxicity, he will require a hospital stay for approximately two days. In this time, the veterinarian will monitor his blood glucose level, his temperature in order to prevent hypothermia, and will also monitor his kidney function and liver function.

Recovery of Chrysanthemum Poisoning in Dogs

In terms of recovery, if your dog has responded to treatment, the prognosis is good. Once you have taken your dog home from the hospital, you will be given instructions on how to properly care for your dog at home. If your dog is on any medications, the veterinarian will also give you instructions on how to administer the prescriptions properly.

The veterinarian will also want to recheck the dog during any follow-up appointments to be sure he is recovering properly. At home, you will need to closely monitor your dog and watch for any new symptoms that may possibly develop. If the dog develops any new symptoms, you will need to contact your veterinarian. For prevention, it is crucial that chrysanthemums or any other toxic plants are kept out of the home. It is also important to keep an eye on your companion when he is outdoors to prevent him from ingesting any poisonous plants.

Chrysanthemum Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Muzgath
Siberian Husky
2 Years
Mild condition
0 found helpful
Mild condition

Has Symptoms

Diarrhea
Urinating
Vomiting

I put flea medicine on my dog the other day, and she had a bad reaction. She was vomiting and pooping/urinating all night, and early in the morning I gave her a bath with warm water, and a light dawn dish soap to wash it off. Since then she seems to have improved. She no longer goes to the bathroom every 30 minutes, and she has only vomited once today. I've been giving her small amounts of raw canned pumpkin, and she drinks water on her own, but she refuses to eat. She has no shakes, and her eyes are still clear, I keep giving her water every 30 mins and beg her to keep drinking. Since she had a bath, will this eventually go away, or do I need to call my vet? Please, my dog is tough but I'm doing everything I can to help her. I'm hoping that by continuing to give her water, she will flush out any toxins eventually.

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
1676 Recommendations

Pyrethrin’s are commonly used in flea and tick treatments and are derived from the chrysanthemum plant. Pyrethrin poisoning can be very severe and may cause coma and death in extreme cases. In any suspected case of poisoning, I always recommend preventative treatment with your Veterinarian especially for controlling seizures (which luckily Muzgath doesn’t have). Usually the best course of treatment is to wash off the flea treatment; however this medicine is absorbed by the skin and may take time for it to leave her body. Generally the prognosis is favourable when there aren’t any neurological signs; if you notice any neurological signs (seizures, tremors etc…) or any other new clinical signs (breathing difficulties or vomiting) visit your Veterinarian immediately. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM

www.vetary.com/dog/condition/pyrethrin-pyrethroid-toxicity

Add a comment to Muzgath's experience

Was this experience helpful?