Currants Poisoning Average Cost

From 48 quotes ranging from $200 - 3,000

Average Cost

$1,100

First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Currants Poisoning?

Currants are a fruit which can either come from a sweet dried Zante grape or from a bush berry that is very tart. Currants can come from different types of grapes and are very similar to raisins and sultanas. Currants can be black, red, or white, and are often used in making preserves, liquors, and syrups. Currants, and related fruits are found in many products, including trail mix, breads, bagels, and other baked goods. Oftentimes dog owners think that currants, grapes and raisins are no risks to dogs since they are considered a healthy fruit to humans; however, it is the direct opposite. Currants, like raisins and grapes, are very toxic to dogs. The main risk to the dog that has ingested currants is acute renal failure.

Currants poisoning in dogs occurs when dogs eat currants, or related fruits, including grapes and raisins. When dogs ingest currants and are left untreated, there is a high possibility of renal failure.

MAKE YOUR DOG INTO A WAGMOJI

Get Wagmoji*
*Only Available on iOS

Book First Walk Free!

Symptoms of Currants Poisoning in Dogs

If you are unsure that your dog has ingested currants, but notice the severe symptoms below, it is imperative that you provide him with medical attention as soon as possible. Symptoms of currant poisoning include:

  • Increased thirst
  • Lethargy
  • Reduced appetite
  • Renal failure
  • Vomiting
  • Weight loss
  • Urinary tract issues
  • Weakness
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Ataxia

Types

Currants are very similar to other fruits. Fruits from the same family include:

  • Raisins
  • Grapes
  • Sultanas
  • Gooseberries
  • Black currants
  • Red currants
  • White currants
  • Jostaberries

Causes of Currants Poisoning in Dogs

The main cause of currant poisoning in dogs is due to the ingestion of the toxic fruit. At this point the toxic agent is not fully identified. The specific toxicity from this fruit is still being researched; however, research is pointing to these possibilities:

  • Possibility of a mycotoxin produced within the fruit
  • Possibility of a salicylate found within the fruit

Diagnosis of Currants Poisoning in Dogs

If you suspect your dog has consumed currants, it is important to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. The medical professional will ask questions about the dog’s history and will want more information on the indication that he ingested this fruit. The physician will do a complete examination, including blood work, urinalysis, and serum biochemical analysis. He will look at the complete blood count to verify if there is any anemia, as well as the blood urea nitrogen, creatinine levels, and the electrolytes. All of this information will give the veterinarian the knowledge he must have to make a diagnosis. This information will alert the position to possible signs of kidney failure as well.

He will also take your dog’s blood pressure and analyze the urine for protein amounts, and possibly do radiographs of the kidneys. An ultrasound of the abdomen may also be performed. Currants poisoning in dogs may show kidney failure in the same way which kidney failure can occur from a multitude of causes. The veterinarian will make a diagnosis of currant poisoning based on the symptoms and the knowledge of the dog consuming the poisonous fruit. If there is absolutely no knowledge of the dog eating currants, pieces of the fruit will be present in the vomit of the dog.

Treatment of Currants Poisoning in Dogs

Since this condition is quite serious and renal disease and failure is very much a possibility, the veterinarian will need to provide treatment as soon as possible. Treatment methods include:

Inducing Vomiting

The vet may induce vomiting if the dog is stable and not having any seizures. After vomiting has been induced, the veterinarian may follow up with activated charcoal. The activated charcoal may be a dry powder, in lliquid form, or in granules. This will need to be repeated every 4 to 6 hours.

Fluid Therapy

Fluid therapy with electrolytes in an IV may be given to help prevent further renal damage or renal failure. The veterinarian will closely watch the kidneys over a period of a few days, depending on the amount ingested and the level of toxicity. The fluid therapy must be aggressive to help stabilize or normalize the renal system and restore electrolytes.

Hospitalization to Treat Kidney Failure

If your dog is suffering from kidney failure due to currant ingestion, he will need to be hospitalized and treated for renal failure. Depending on the damage to the kidneys, the specific treatment for renal failure may vary. Diuresis may be administered, a catheter may be placed to monitor urine output, and the dog’s creatinine levels will be monitored very closely. The dog may also need to receive dialysis, and may be hospitalized for several days.

Recovery of Currants Poisoning in Dogs

If treatment is successful, the prognosis is good. If your dog was hospitalized due to renal failure, there will be instructions to follow for his after-care once you bring him home. The veterinarian will also want to see him again to check on his progress. Once home, your companion may need medications and lots of rest. It is important to follow the instructions as to when the medication is administered. It is also important to take the medication at the same time every day. While your loved one is recovering, if he begins to exhibit new behaviors or symptoms that concern you, call the veterinarian with any questions you may have.

Currants Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Nirvana
Shitzu
10 Years
Fair condition
0 found helpful
Fair condition

Has Symptoms

Tail down, not happy,

My shitzu dog ate some currants. I found the vomiting seeds yesterday morning. He has his tail down. I gave him some cottage cheese. Feed his regular food. Went for a walk and run a little but he is not very happy. How worried should I be, should I wait until tomorrow morning to take him to his vet

Dr. Michele King, DVM
Dr. Michele King, DVM
1607 Recommendations
It would be best to have Nirvana seen right away for this problem, as currants can cause kidney failure in dogs, and the earlier treatment is started, the better chance there will be of saving his kidneys. Your veterinarian will probably want to keep him on IV fluids and check some lab work to assess his kidney function at this point. I hope that he is okay.

Add a comment to Nirvana's experience

Was this experience helpful?

Misty
Australian Shepard
4 Years
Moderate condition
0 found helpful
Moderate condition

Has Symptoms

none

A few minutes ago, my foster dog ate some red currants as we have a bush in our front yard that I was picking some from. I had no idea at the time that they could harm her and so I was willingly letting her eat them. As she is normally a lazy dog that enjoys laying around, I'm not sure whether she's just being herself or is being affected by the berries she ate. We did post something on the fostering organization's Facebook page about this, but we're still not sure what to do at the moment. She's a medium sized dog, but because I'm not sure how much she ate, I can't gauge whether or not we need to take immediate action or wait a couple days. She's a very sweet dog and I would hate for this to cause her pain or even death, so I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me what we need to do. She doesn't have any symptoms so far that strayed from her regular behavior. We believe she's a 3-4 year old Australian Shepard/Husky mix, but because she came from an Indian reservation, she didn't have much information.

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
3317 Recommendations
Ingestion of just a few currants may result in acute kidney failure, you should visit a Veterinarian immediately (regular or emergency) for supportive care; apart from inducing vomiting and giving activated charcoal within an hour or less of ingestion there is nothing else to be done at home. There is no specific amount which causes poisoning as toxicity varies from currant to currant. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/currant/

Add a comment to Misty's experience

Was this experience helpful?