Jump to section

What is Liquid Potpourri Poisoning?

Liquid potpourri will make your house smell nice, but it contains a number of chemicals that are toxic to dogs. Cationic detergents are present in almost all products whether or not they are listed on the label. These detergents can cause chemical burns through ingestion, skin contact, or eye exposure. In addition, almost all brands of potpourri contain a combination of essential oils, such as cinnamon, peppermint, wintergreen and others, which help to produce the desired fragrance. Many of these essential oils are toxic and can cause skin irritation and CNS depression if ingested or absorbed through extensive dermal contact. Liquid potpourri is more toxic to cats, but it can still be dangerous for dogs, especially young puppies. Dogs with liver disease may also be more prone to infection since many of the chemicals in potpourri are metabolized in the liver. Liquid potpourri and essential oils are absorbed quickly and some types can be deadly with just a few licks or on a small patch of affected skin. Many owners recognize the problem by smelling the fragrance of the potpourri on their dog. Other symptoms include pawing at the mouth, drooling and vomiting. Skin exposure can cause redness and irritation at the site of contact, while liquid potpourri in the eyes may lead to squinting, swelling and eventually vision loss. As with any caustic substance, damage will take place immediately. There is no antidote for liquid potpourri poisoning, but immediate treatment can reduce the symptoms.

Liquid potpourri contains chemicals that can be toxic to dogs. Exposure can lead to skin irritation, chemical burns, and even tissue damage. This is called liquid potpourri poisoning.

Liquid Potpourri Poisoning Average Cost

From 29 quotes ranging from $200 - $5,000

Average Cost

$750

Symptoms of Liquid Potpourri Poisoning in Dogs

These are the symptoms you may see if you dog has been exposed to liquid potpourri.

  • Smells of the potpourri fragrance
  • Pawing at the mouth
  • Redness or irritation of the mouth or skin
  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Lack of coordination or difficulty walking
  • Muscle tremors

Types

All types of potpourri are poisonous. These are the most common toxic ingredients.

  • Cationic detergents

    – these detergents are more toxic than anionic or nonionic detergents which are used to make soap and shampoo, cationic detergents are also commonly found in fabric softeners and germicides

  • Essential oils

    – many essential oils are toxic to dogs (oil of cinnamon, citrus, pennyroyal, peppermint, pine, sweet birch, tea tree, wintergreen, ylang ylang)

arrow-up-icon

Top

Causes of Liquid Potpourri Poisoning in Dogs

These are some of the risk factors associated with liquid potpourri poisoning.

  • Broken or leaking container
  • Spill
  • Dog playing with the container
  • Open bowl of liquid potpourri
  • Potpourri poisoning is more common around the Christmas holidays
arrow-up-icon

Top

Diagnosis of Liquid Potpourri Poisoning in Dogs

If you think your dog may have been exposed to liquid potpourri you should try to see your veterinarian as soon as possible. Bring a sample of the suspected substance for identification. Recent poisoning can often be identified by the fragrance of the potpourri, but the symptoms of liquid potpourri poisoning are non-specific and could apply to many different toxicities. The veterinarian will take blood and urine to check for liver and kidney damage and rule out any potential infectious causes if the source of the problem is unknown. 

With ingestion, an endoscopy may be necessary to evaluate the extent of the damage to the gastrointestinal tract. In this test, the veterinarian will need to insert a video camera down your dog’s throat under anesthetic. Other types of exposure will be evaluated with a physical examination. A thorough eye examination will be needed after liquid potpourri poisoning in the eye and the veterinarian may refer you to a specialist ophthalmologist.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Treatment of Liquid Potpourri Poisoning in Dogs

If you do not have emergency veterinary services, it’s a good idea to call a poison helpline for instructions. Inducing vomiting is strictly prohibited with liquid potpourri poisoning as it can lead to re-exposure. With ingestion, you may be instructed to give your dog milk, water, or even ice-cream to help dilute the chemicals and coat the stomach lining. With ocular or dermal exposure, you will need to flush thoroughly with warm water. If you call a poison hotline, follow the agent’s instructions exactly.

Take your dog to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. Intravenous fluids may be necessary to avoid dehydration and the veterinarian will also prescribe pain medication and antibiotics to prevent infection in the damaged tissue. With extensive esophageal damage, a feeding tube will be inserted to maintain nutrition during the healing process and your dog will need to stay in a veterinary hospital for at least several days.

For ocular exposure the dog will flush your dog’s eye thoroughly for 20 minutes before examining it for corneal damage. Antibiotic and lubricant drops will likely be prescribed and may need to be applied frequently. A follow-up appointment may be necessary since it may take several hours for injury to be present in some parts of the eye. Various topical creams may also be prescribed for dermal exposure.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Recovery of Liquid Potpourri Poisoning in Dogs

Dogs frequently recover from liquid potpourri poisoning, especially with immediate treatment. Ocular exposure could lead to blindness however, so you may need to help your dog adjust to this new condition. Some types of potpourri can be more deadly than others so this could affect your dog’s prognosis, along with the severity of the exposure.

Avoiding exposure is the best way to manage liquid potpourri poisoning. Keeping potpourri in open or breakable containers is unwise. If there are any spill, remove your dog from the area and clean it up immediately. Not using liquid potpourri in your house is advisable; if this is impossible, remember that it is toxic and should be handled with care.

arrow-up-icon

Top

*Wag! may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Items are sold by the retailer, not Wag!.

Liquid Potpourri Poisoning Average Cost

From 29 quotes ranging from $200 - $5,000

Average Cost

$750

arrow-up-icon

Top

Liquid Potpourri Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Need pet health advice? Ask a vet

question-icon-cta

Ask a Vet

dog-name-icon

dog-breed-icon

German Shepherd

dog-age-icon

3 months

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Unknown severity

thumbs-up-icon

0 found helpful

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Unknown severity

Has Symptoms

None

My dog licked the liquid potpourri that spilled as i was cleaning, will shebe okay?

Aug. 5, 2020

Owner

answer-icon

Dr. Michele K. DVM

recommendation-ribbon

0 Recommendations

Thank you for your question. That may cause some GI upset for her, and it would be best to monitor her very closely over the next 24 hours for any signs of vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, or a loss of appetite. If she is showing any of those signs, it would be best to have her seen by a veterinarian right away. I hope that all goes well for her.

Aug. 5, 2020

Was this experience helpful?

dog-name-icon

Meeka

dog-breed-icon

Golden Labrador

dog-age-icon

5 Years

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Fair severity

thumbs-up-icon

0 found helpful

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Fair severity

Has Symptoms

None

Dog licked a cotton pad with esstiol oils on it . Grab it before she got it in her mouth she only got one lick in. Should i be worried about it. Im scared she is going to be poisned. She is showing nothing out of the ordany, she looks fine and is sleeping

Jan. 23, 2018

Meeka's Owner

answer-icon

recommendation-ribbon

3320 Recommendations

You should have rinsed out Meeka’s mouth thoroughly to ensure that any of the oil didn’t get ingested; you should keep a close eye on her for the time being but if you notice any strange symptoms or are generally concerned you should visit your Veterinarian for an examination. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM

Jan. 23, 2018

Was this experience helpful?

dog-name-icon

Meeka

dog-breed-icon

Golden Labrador

dog-age-icon

5 Years

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Fair severity

thumbs-up-icon

0 found helpful

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Fair severity

Has Symptoms

None

Dog licked a cotton pad with esstiol oils on it . Grab it before she got it in her mouth she only got one lick in. Should i be worried about it. Im scared she is going to be poisned. She is showing nothing out of the ordany, she looks fine and is sleeping

Jan. 23, 2018

Meeka's Owner

answer-icon

recommendation-ribbon

3320 Recommendations

You should have rinsed out Meeka’s mouth thoroughly to ensure that any of the oil didn’t get ingested; you should keep a close eye on her for the time being but if you notice any strange symptoms or are generally concerned you should visit your Veterinarian for an examination. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM

Jan. 23, 2018

Was this experience helpful?

Liquid Potpourri Poisoning Average Cost

From 29 quotes ranging from $200 - $5,000

Average Cost

$750

How can we help your pet?