Petroleum Distallates Poisoning Average Cost

From 24 quotes ranging from $300 - 3,000

Average Cost

$1,800

First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Petroleum Distallates Poisoning?

Various hydrocarbons are within oil and gas products. Petroleum distillates are hydrocarbons that can cause severe neurological toxicity if inhaled, and can have severe chronic or acute effects on dogs as well as people. It is very important to use these agents in a well ventilated area. Petroleum distillates are often used to remove tar, grease, wax, and oil. Also referred to as aliphatic hydrocarbons, these compounds can be poisonous when ingested and immediate medical attention is necessary. Aliphatic hydrocarbons, or petroleum distillates, also include gasoline, methane, butane, propane, and other aromatic hydrocarbons. Once ingestion has occurred, it can poison the dog by causing chemical pneumonitis. Aspiration can also occur, thus making this type of poisoning lethal if not treated promptly.

Petroleum distillates poisoning in dogs is a result of ingesting hydrocarbon products, or solvents, which are produced from crude oil. Poisoning can occur from inhalation or from ingesting these substances.

Book First Walk Free!

Symptoms of Petroleum Distallates Poisoning in Dogs

If your dog has come into contact with petroleum distillates, he may exhibit the following symptoms. Some symptoms may be mild to severe depending on the amount of petroleum distillate ingested. Symptoms can include:

  • Drooling
  • Confusion
  • Gagging
  • Increased thirst
  • Shaking of the head
  • Depression
  • Confusion
  • Pawing at the face or eyes
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Dilated pupils
  • Respiratory distress
  • Chemical burns
  • Mouth ulcers

Types

There are many types of petroleum distillate substances. It is important to know the different types so you can keep your dog safe. Many petroleum distillates are found at places of work, such as factories, and in garages in the home. Types of petroleum distillates include:

  • Mineral spirits
  • Kerosene
  • Naptha
  • Stoddard solvent
  • Turpentine

Causes of Petroleum Distallates Poisoning in Dogs

Causes of petroleum distillate poisoning are from the ingestion of specific types of petroleum distillate product. It is very important to keep these products out of the reach of dogs or properly sealed. Causes of poisoning are:

  • Rapid damage to the red blood cells
  • Central nervous system damage
  • Aspiration, causing damage to the lung tissues

Diagnosis of Petroleum Distallates Poisoning in Dogs

If you know your dog has ingested petroleum distillates, it will be important to tell your veterinarian once you get your dog to treatment. The veterinarian will want to know precisely what your dog ingested, how much he consumed, and when the symptoms occurred. This information will allow the physician to begin treating your dog immediately. If by chance your dog vomited after he consumed the petroleum distillate, it will greatly help the veterinarian if you give him a sample.

The veterinarian will perform blood testing, a urinalysis, electrolyte testing, and any chemical testing needed to determine a diagnosis. Imaging of the chest will be done to check the lungs for any aspiration. While he is doing a thorough examination, he may be able to smell the odor and determine the type of petroleum distillate that has caused the poisoning. Samples from your dog’s feces and from the contents of the stomach may also be taken, as well as samples from other organs to determine their functionality.

Treatment of Petroleum Distallates Poisoning in Dogs

After the diagnosis of petroleum distillate poisoning is made, the veterinarian will begin treatment. Treatment may be washing of the skin if the dog came into contact with the petroleum distillate on his fur or skin. Other treatment methods will be based on the severity of the toxicity. They may include:

Releasing Gas Pressure

To release any pressure from gas buildup in the stomach, the veterinarian may insert a tube to relieve it. The veterinarian may not do this, as this depends on the severity of the dog’s condition and if there is a risk for any aspiration or the gas entering the peritoneal cavity of the abdomen. Activated charcoal is not effective in absorbing gaseous substances of this type.

Oxygen Therapy

If the dog has inhaled the substance and is aspirating, he will need to receive oxygen therapy. Oxygen therapy will help the lungs or stabilize the lungs from the aspiration and the damage to lung tissue.

Antibiotics

Antibiotics of the broad-spectrum type will be given to counteract any infection in the lungs. Pneumonia can occur if pathogens get into the lungs after the aspiration of any stomach contents.

Recovery of Petroleum Distallates Poisoning in Dogs

Recovery from petroleum distillate poisoning will occur if your dog was treated immediately and responded well to treatment. Your veterinarian will relay any information to you concerning your dog’s prognosis. Although petroleum distillate poisoning can be life-threatening or fatal, this depends on the amount ingested and the time it took to receive treatment.

Petroleum distillate poisoning is very serious, and if your dog is recovering from treatment, there are actions you will have to take at home to be sure he is being monitored very carefully and he is making positive strides to better health. Your veterinarian will give you instructions on how to properly care for your dog at home after he is released from his care.

If you see any new symptoms occurring, or have any questions for your veterinarian, is important to contact him as soon as possible. More than likely, your veterinarian is going to want to see him for follow-up appointments to check on his recovery.

Petroleum Distallates Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Boone
Chocolate lab
9 Months
Fair condition
0 found helpful
Fair condition

Has Symptoms

None yet

I believe my dog ingested some freshly applied caulk that contains petroleum distillates. I’m unsure of the amount he may have ingested. He isn’t showing any symptoms yet, but it’s only been within 2 hours of when he possibly ingested it. Is there anything we can do here at home to ensure he won’t be affected? Should we induce vomiting? Help!

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
3317 Recommendations
You should never attempt to induce vomiting in these cases as it may make things much worse, you should contact your Veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline for further assistance. Symptoms may include vomiting, drooling, increased breathing, skin and eye irritation as well as walking drunk; but you should get veterinary attention to be on the safe side. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/petroleum-distillates/

Add a comment to Boone's experience

Was this experience helpful?

Tyson
Boxer
9 Years
Serious condition
0 found helpful
Serious condition

Has Symptoms

Not eating, watery eyes, can’t poop

Hello I think i may have poisend my dog. A co-worker recommended using a spray for flys Called Pyranha wipe N spray for horses. It contains petroleum Distallates! My dog has lost a lot of weight in the last 2 weeks and hasn’t been able to poop and hardly has eaten in the last two weeks. It’s been about 2 weeks since I sprayed him with that spray. Please help me.

Dr. Michele King, DVM
Dr. Michele King, DVM
1607 Recommendations
Some products for livestock and horses are quite concentrated, and might be far too much for a dog. Since Tyson's problems seem to have started when you sprayed him, it is possible that the two are related. He may have other problems that are causing those signs. Regardless of the reason, if he hasn't eaten in two weeks, is losing weight that quickly, and isn't doing well, he needs medical care. Having him examined by a veterinarian will let them evaluate him, do any lab work that he needs to figure out what is wrong, and get him any possible treatment, as this doesn't seem to be getting better on its' own. I hope that he is okay.

Hello and thank you for the advise. I took him in to the Vet and he said it was not related to the spray after all. All though he did find that he’s prostate was pretty enlarged. He said with his age and his breed it was pretty common that he might have prostate cancer. At this point idk what I can do for him as I don’t think I can afford surgery for him :( he said with out doing blood work and finding out for sure if it was cancerous the only thing he could do is give me some antibiotics and hope it was just an infection. How expensive is treatment and is it recommended for his age please help.

Add a comment to Tyson's experience

Was this experience helpful?