Appomattox Court House National Historic Park protects a place that was built in 1865, but that was authorized as a Battlefield Site on June 18, 1930, and later as a national historical park on April 15, 1954. The protected land where the historic park covers a total area of 1,774 acres and is located in Appomattox County, near Appomattox town in Virginia.
More specifically, the historic park is in south-central Virginia about 18 miles east of Lynchburg and 90 miles west of Richmond. To access the park, visitors should use VA 24 which is about three miles northeast of Appomattox town. Some of the features that make the Appomattox Court House National Historic Park a great place to visit include twenty-seven original 19th-century structures including the McLean home.
The McLean home is a historic place because it is the surrender site where General Robert E. Lee yielded the Confederacy's largest field army to Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant on April 9, 1865. Other historic buildings include the village of Appomattox Court House and the home and cemetery of Joel Sweeney who is famous for making the modern five-string banjo a popular musical instrument.
Besides the historical significance of the Appomattox Court House National Historic Park, the park is also a favorite place for visitors who enjoy recreational activities like self-guided walking tours, ranger talks, and living history. Some of the amenities available at the site include a visitor center, restrooms, self-guided tour, picnic area, and museum.
Visitors to the national historic park can also bring their dogs along for the fun and relaxation as long as they ensure that they keep their dog’s well-behaved. Basically, all dogs must be leashed and must be kept away from park buildings. Additionally, dog owners are expected to clean up after their dogs and dispose of the dog poop properly.