Fort Frederica National Monument encompasses a total area of about 280 acres of land that is located on Saint Simons Island approximately 12 miles from Brunswick, Georgia. The park is accessible through US 17 and the Brunswick-Saint Simons (F.J. Torras) Causeway. Bloody Marsh Battle Site, which is a detached unit of the park, is located about six miles south of the town called Frederica.
The Fort Frederica National Monument preserves the archaeological remains of a fort and town built by James Oglethorpe between 1736 and 1748. The fort was designed to protect the southern boundary of the British colony of Georgia from Spanish raids. At any one time, about 630 British troops were stationed at the fort.
And an additional 500 colonial residents lived in a town, Frederica, right outside the Fort Frederica National Monument. This was by the design of the Oglethorpe Plan for towns in the Georgia Colony. Frederica was named after Frederick who was the Prince of Wales and the son of King George II.
The national monument was authorized on May 26, 1936, before being listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966. Besides the cultural and historical significance of the Fort Frederica National Monument, the place is also used by the park's visitors to enjoy recreational activities like hiking and guided tours.
The Fort Frederica National Monument has several amenities for visitors to enjoy including restrooms, a visitor center, self-guided trails, and a museum. Dogs are certainly allowed into the national monument albeit with some restrictions. For example, dogs should be kept away from restricted areas of the park at all costs.
In fact, all dogs are required to be put on a leash that is at least six feet in length. If the tail-wagger is not on a leash, then they should be in a secured enclosure. Additionally, dog owners should have some poop bags with them so that they can clean up after their dogs right away.