Allergic Reactions to Insects Average Cost

From 472 quotes ranging from $200 - 1,800

Average Cost


First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What are Allergic Reactions to Insects?

An allergic reaction to insects in cats can be caused by bites or stings from ants, hornets, wasps, bees, and spiders. These insects are the most allergy-promoting culprits due to the venom that is released in their bites and stings. A reaction usually occurs within 20 minutes of a bite or sting, but the feline should be observed for the next 12-24 hours as these symptoms can increase in severity over time. If your feline’s allergic reaction to an insect bite or sting is mild, her condition may resolve itself within a couple hours. However, if your cat is having difficulties breathing, is in pain, or has gone into anaphylactic shock, you need to see a veterinarian right away. 

An allergic reaction to insects is an overreaction of the cat’s immune system to the venom of an insect. The immune system is designed to detect and destroy harmful invaders that come in contact with the body. The feline’s immune defense attacks these foreign invaders by creating specialized antibodies to engulf the allergen. These antibodies trigger the body’s various types of white blood cells, which have an inflammatory response causing the swelling, itching and redness associated with an allergy. The allergic reaction can be mild with just a few symptoms of sluggishness, a slight fever and a decreased appetite. It can be moderate with marked signs of urticaria (hives), facial swelling, and extreme pruritus (itchiness), which may progress to a severe reaction. A severe allergic reaction is termed  anaphylaxis, a sudden allergic reaction that makes breathing difficult and ends in collapse or sudden death. 

Symptoms of Allergic Reactions to Insects in Cats

A feline may present mild, moderate or severe allergic reaction symptoms depending on a few factors: 

  • How many times the cat was bitten/stung. 
  • Where the feline was stung (inside the mouth could cause breathing difficulties).
  • How hypersensitive the feline’s immune system is to the allergen. 

Mild Allergic Reaction

  • Temporary loss of appetite (about 12-24 hours)
  • Sluggishness
  • Fever 

Moderate Allergic Reaction

  • Pruritus (itchy skin) 
  • Urticaria (hives) 
  • Wheals
  • Redness
  • Swelling (head, neck, eyes)

Severe Allergic Reaction

  • Very sudden allergic reaction
  • Rapid swelling 
  • Hives 
  • Breathing difficulties 
  • Wheezing 
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting 
  • Decreased blood pressure 
  • Pale mucus membranes
  • Cold extremities 
  • Trembling
  • Collapse 
  • Death 

Causes of Allergic Reactions to Insects in Cats

An allergic reaction to insects in cats is caused by the venom or saliva injected into the skin during a bite, as well as venom delivered by a stinger. Spiders, wasps, bees, hornets, and ants are the common culprits to cause an allergic reaction in cats, but this lies dependent on your geographic region. Felines that spend a lot of time outdoors and those that live in warmer regions of the world are at higher risk. 

Diagnosis of Allergic Reactions to Insects in Cats

There is no true diagnostic test for an allergic reaction to insects, but your veterinarian can deduce your cat’s condition from routine procedures. Physically finding a stinger or bite, hives, or swelling on a physical exam is the most common diagnostic exam for insect bite allergies. Your veterinarian will also review your cat’s medical history, as many felines will hyperactive immune systems are often allergic to more than one element. You will also be asked about your cat’s lifestyle, such as how much time she spends outside and if you have any hornets’ nests around the area. Any information you have to share will the veterinarian about your cat’s condition will prove extremely helpful.

Treatment of Allergic Reactions to Insects in Cats

Felines will a mild case of an insect allergic reaction may not need treatment, as mild case symptoms often resolve on their own within a few hours. However, cat owners will need to continue observing the cat for the next 12-24 hours to ensure the condition is not progressively becoming worse. 

If the feline has been stung, the stinger will need to be properly removed without injecting more of the venom that lies in the head of said stinger. Although this can be done at home, it is highly recommended to take your feline to the veterinarian, especially if this is the first time your cat has ever been stung. The veterinarian can remove the stinger properly, show you proper stinger removal technique and administer medication for inflammation if necessary. 

Cats with severe allergic reactions to insects need to be rushed to the veterinary emergency clinic right away. The doctor will begin administering life support to the feline including intravenous fluids and oxygen. Felines that are stabilized will survive anaphylaxis and return back to normal.

Recovery of Allergic Reactions to Insects in Cats

The prognosis for an allergic reaction to insects in cats is generally good, but anaphylaxis patients may not have as promising of a prognosis if life support is not received in time. Your veterinarian may prescribe your cat an epinephrine pen to have on hand if she has a history of anaphylactic shock. It is also advised to avoid stings and bites whenever possible to discourage another allergic reaction to insects in your cat.

Allergic Reactions to Insects Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Norwegian forest cat
12 Years
Critical condition
0 found helpful
Critical condition

Has Symptoms

weary, drooling, womiting

Hi - greetings from Finland. We often have lots of gnats early in the summer when weather gets warm for the first times. Two years ago our cat Sula (unfrozen in english - a allmost white cat who has few unforzen brown spots) was out in our yard - I went inside for just a moment and when I went back outdoors she was lying on the ground near our porch, flabby and drooling. I carried her in and called a veterinarian on duty that evening. The vetenerian first thought that she had been poisoned, prognosis was very poor, she had to stay at the vetenary hospital. They gave her fluids and oxygen. At he midnight we received a call, the vetenerian telling us that crisis was over and that we could go and get her home.

Last summer we had no such problems. Today it allmos happened agein. This time we knew to be aware and took her inside in time. Still few bites and she vomited and she is now quite tired but no respiratory problems or such. We were lucky this time that nothing worse happened.

Add a comment to Sula's experience

Was this experience helpful?

2 Years
Mild condition
0 found helpful
Mild condition

Has Symptoms

Sores on face

Hi my cat had an allergy this time last year and had an allergy test and biospy which ruled out grass pollen etc allergy and the vet thought it was a good allergy. We gave her hypo allergic food and the weened her back on her normal food apart from fish. She has been ok for a year but now coming out in red patches again on face. Any ideas what it can be ?

Dr. Michele King, DVM
Dr. Michele King, DVM
1611 Recommendations
If Minnie had an allergy at the same time last year, it is probably something in the environment, as not everything shows up on allergy tests. It might be a good idea to have her seen by a veterinarian, and get treatment for her allergies - if medication helps, that may be something that she needs every fall.

Add a comment to Minnie's experience

Was this experience helpful?