Kiss Me Quick Poisoning Average Cost

From 291 quotes ranging from $1,000 - 5,000

Average Cost

$2,500

First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Kiss Me Quick Poisoning?

If left untreated, kiss me quick poisoning can cause severe symptoms and seizures that last for several days. If you believe your cat has ingested any part of the kiss me quick flower, take it to the vet immediately to ensure the best prognosis.

The kiss me quick flower is a common garden plant that grows naturally in lightly wooded areas around California and Florida. This plant can grow as tall as six feet. The kiss me quick contains brunfelsamidine, which is toxic and causes seizures in cats. Recognize the kiss me quick flower by its white, lavender, or dark purple colored flowers and dark green leaves.

Symptoms of Kiss Me Quick Poisoning in Cats

Symptoms of kiss me quick poisoning will usually manifest rapidly, within thirty minutes to four hours following ingestion. Take your cat to the vet immediately as soon as you notice any of the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Coughing
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Facial twitching
  • Lethargy and weakness 
  • Excessive salivation or drooling
  • Loss of balance
  • Lack of coordination
  • Rapid breathing

Types 

The scientific name for kiss me quick is Brunfelsia pauciflora, and the flower belongs to the Solanaceae family. The Solanceae family also includes other poisonous plants such as deadly nightshade and mandrake. The kiss me quick flower is known by many different names, including:

  • Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow
  • Morning-Noon-and-Night
  • Lady-of-the-Night
  • Franciscan Rain Tree

Causes of Kiss Me Quick Poisoning in Cats

The cause of kiss me quick poisoning in cats is ingestion of the plant. Every part of the plant is toxic. Cats are unlikely to ingest large quantities of any poisonous plants because symptoms tend to appear quickly. The amount of the plant your cat needs to ingest in order to develop poisoning is not fully understood. However, brunfelsamidine poisoning can cause death in cats. If your cat has ingested kiss me quick, take it to the vet immediately.

Diagnosis of Kiss Me Quick Poisoning in Cats

Call your vet before you arrive to let them know if your cat is having seizures as a result of kiss me quick poisoning. If the kiss me quick flower is a garden plant, take a sample of it with you when you go to the vet. On arrival, let your vet know how long your cat has been experiencing symptoms. Be sure to provide an estimate of how much of the flower your cat ingested if you’re able to.

Presentation of symptoms may be sufficient to make the diagnosis so that treatment can begin right away. Plant poisoning can be confirmed through routine diagnostic testing, including blood and urine samples. Your vet may conduct other tests to confirm poisoning and ensure no neurological damage has occurred.

Treatment of Kiss Me Quick Poisoning in Cats

The success of treatment may vary depending on the amount of the plant your cat ingested as well as your cat’s symptoms.

Your vet will first attempt to control seizures using intravenous injection of pentobarbital sodium and/or methocarbamol. Once seizures are controlled and the cat is stable, your vet may begin supportive treatment. If treatment has begun within two hours of ingestion, inducing vomiting can help clear the toxins from your cat’s gastrointestinal tract. After vomiting has been induced, intravenous fluid therapy can then be started to correct fluid imbalances or dehydration. Your vet may also administer activated charcoal as needed to clear the toxins from your cat’s stomach. Hospitalization may be required so that your vet can monitor your cat’s condition.

Recovery of Kiss Me Quick Poisoning in Cats

Recovery and prognosis will vary depending on the severity of poisoning as well as how quickly poisoning was diagnosed and treated. Cats who have experienced mild cases of plant poisoning may recover in a few hours following treatment. Cats suffering from severe poisoning, especially those that have been hospitalized for seizures, may have a more guarded prognosis.

If you bought the kiss me quick flower as a garden plant, you should get rid of it immediately. If your cat came into contact with the kiss me quick plant through outdoor activity, you may want to limit or monitor their outdoor activity to prevent future cases of poisoning. As a responsible cat owner, always research plants before making any purchases to ensure they do not contain substances that are toxic to your cat.

Mild cases of kiss me quick poisoning that do not result in seizures may not require any follow-up appointments. If your cat has experienced seizures, your vet may schedule follow-up appointments as needed to ensure that no long-term neurological damage has occurred.