Bacterial Hypersensitivity to Staph Infections Average Cost

From 459 quotes ranging from $200 - 800

Average Cost


First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What are Bacterial Hypersensitivity to Staph Infections?

The Staphylococcus bacteria is opportunistic, which means that once the skin becomes irritated or broken, this bacteria has the chance to multiply and infect the body. While easily treated with antibiotics and good hygiene, if left untreated, serious conditions can develop in your dog, including organ infections and blood poisoning, and even death. Since a Staph infection is highly probable whenever the skin is cut, be sure to see your veterinarian to treat the wounds with appropriate antibiotics.

The Staphylococcus bacteria is normally present on human and animal skin, and generally doesn’t cause any harm. Some dog's immune systems contain too many Staph antibodies that can cause a hypersensitivity. While symptoms of a bacterial hypersensitivity and a normal Staph infection are similar, the differentiation is made when the infection is recurrent, even after successful treatment.

Book First Walk Free!

Symptoms of Bacterial Hypersensitivity to Staph Infections in Dogs

Symptoms of a Staph infection can include:

  • Itchy skin
  • Excessive chewing, scratching and licking
  • Red area of skin with a pustule in the center
  • Red, circular lesion with a crusty edge and loss of hair inside
  • Pus exuding from site of any wounds or broken skin
  • Excessive pain at wound site
  • Atopic dermatitis
  • Fever
  • Weakness
  • Lethargy
  • Abnormal behavior
  • Confusion
  • Septicemia, or blood poisoning

Causes of Bacterial Hypersensitivity to Staph Infections in Dogs

There is one main cause of a hypersensitivity to a Staph infection, which is an allergy to the Staphylococcus bacteria. This hypersensitivity is more likely to occur if these conditions are present:

  • Itching disorder
  • Persistent scratching
  • Flea allergy
  • Inhalant allergy
  • Food allergy
  • Irritating chemicals
  • Hypothyroidism
  • Excessively moist skin

Causes of Staph infections in general include:

  • Cut, wound or broken skin that has become infected with the bacteria
  • Ingestion of infected material
  • Infected material entering mucosal membranes, such as eyes, mouth or nose
  • Contact with infected medical equipment

Diagnosis of Bacterial Hypersensitivity to Staph Infections in Dogs

If any symptoms of a Staph infection are noticed, take your dog immediately to a veterinary clinic. Since symptoms of a bacterial hypersensitivity and a normal Staph infection are similar, with identical lesions, the differentiation is often made only after appropriate treatment has been followed, but the infection is recurrent. Because of this criteria, treatment of the original infection will need to be long enough to rule out a normal Staph infection, usually for a month or longer. If your dog is hypersensitive to the Staph bacteria, the skin lesions should return within a few days to weeks.

A Staph infection is diagnosed through testing bacterial cultures and skin biopsies, and through microscopic examination of skin samples. Changes that are unique to this condition can be seen in the skin’s blood vessels on the microscopic level. 

Red, circular lesions with crusty edges are also indicative of ringworm or yeast infections, but the presence of excessive scratching leads to the diagnosis of a Staph infection.

Treatment of Bacterial Hypersensitivity to Staph Infections in Dogs

Treatment of a Staph allergy will begin the same as treatment for a normal Staph infection. This will include oral and topical antibiotics, baths with medicated shampoos, and itching treatments. Antibiotics will need to be administered for 3 to 6 weeks to be able to eliminate a normal Staph infection, and give the right criteria for a hypersensitive condition to be diagnosed correctly.

Hypersensitive dogs will need long term control of the allergy. This involves periodic Staphylococcal bacterin injections, a solution of dead Staph bacteria that helps to reprogram the immune system. Treatment begins as injections given daily, then every 3 to 4 days, then every 2 weeks. Many dogs will continue this treatment for 1 to 2 years, with less frequent injections. This type of desensitization therapy has shown improvement in 77% of dogs.

Periodic antibiotic treatments and medicated baths can be prescribed in cases where desensitization does not cause improvement. However, the Staph bacteria can become antibiotic resistant, and it may be necessary to change medications.

Controlling the itch will help to stop the cycle of reinfection. Antibacterial shampoos and ointments can help to control the infection. An injection may be given to stop the itching.

Recovery of Bacterial Hypersensitivity to Staph Infections in Dogs

If Staphylococcal bacterin injections are being given, veterinary visits may be needed for many weeks, or your veterinarian may teach you how to administer the injections at home.

You will most likely be sent home with antibiotics, topical, oral or both. Be sure to keep using them as directed by your veterinarian, and do not discontinue if symptoms subside. Medication may also be given to control itching. Medicated baths may also be prescribed to help stop the infection and control the itching.

Bacterial Hypersensitivity to Staph Infections Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Alaskan Malamute
10 Years
Serious condition
0 found helpful
Serious condition

Has Symptoms

Recurrent Staph infections

Hi there,

I have an 10 year old Alaskan Malamute with hypothyroidism (regular levels now on thyroxine). He gets recurrent staph infections, despite treatment with two different generations of antibiotics that have shown sensitivity in cultures. His skin clears up and his fur regrows after each treatment. But then weeks later the infection continues despite continuing to bathe him with antibacterial solutions.

Would desensitisation with the staph bacterin be suitable for him? He weighs 52kg (down from 56kg since treating his hypothyroidism). And do you know an approximate cost for the bacterin? I am able to administer the injections myself as an RN.

Thank you!

Dr. Michele King, DVM
Dr. Michele King, DVM
1611 Recommendations
I'm sorry that Tyro has this problem, that can be very frustrating for everyone. It sounds like Staph desensitization injections might help him, and if you can give the injections, that should decrease the cost for you. You would need to go through your veterinarian to get the bacterin, as I have not examined Tyro, and the cost will vary depending on where you live and what source your veterinarian goes through to get it. This is a great conversation to have with your veterinarian, as they'll be able to source the bacterin for you and help guide you through the process. I hope that you are able to resolve this problem for him.

Add a comment to Tyro's experience

Was this experience helpful?

Labrador Retriever
8 Years
Serious condition
0 found helpful
Serious condition

Has Symptoms

Skin peeling

Medication Used

Clindamycin Hydrochloride

Hello. My dog’s left hind foot is raw, bleeding, and hairless. I have been to the vet, who swabbed the wound and told me the bacteria growing on it were staphylococcus syprophiticus. My dog was prescribed the clindamycin antibiotic for two straight weeks and his foot was bandaged. The wound, however, will not heal and went from one small area being raw and bleeding to almost the entire sole of his back foot. The wound bleeds, has pus, and his skin is literally falling and peeling off. If this is hypersensitivity to the staph bacteria, and the antibiotics don’t work, what is next? The vet suggested removing the top layer of skin and suturing the wound but his entire paw is raw, so I’m not sure how it would be possible to stitch the paw up if his skin is falling off. If this doesn’t get better even with medicated shampoos and other medication, what would be the last resort? Amputation?

Dr. Michele King, DVM
Dr. Michele King, DVM
1611 Recommendations
Thank you for your email. I'm not sure if your veterinarian actually cultured the skin, but if Clindamycin didn't resolve the infection, another antibiotic may be more appropriate. If he is sensitive to the bacteria, then clearing up the bacteria should stop the sensitivity. A culture and sensitivity would tell your veterinarian what antibiotics to give that will get rid of the bacteria. I hope that things go well for Min.

Add a comment to Min's experience

Was this experience helpful?