Japanese Show Lily Poisoning Average Cost

From 489 quotes ranging from $300 - 6,500

Average Cost

$3,000

First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Japanese Show Lily Poisoning?

The Japanese show lily is a gorgeous flower of white and pink and is very ornamental. They are popular in bouquets, especially for Easter, funerals, and other events. However, before you bring this plant into your home, you should do your research. While it is not considered toxic to dogs, there are still reports of gastrointestinal upset that may require medical attention. Vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydration are the most common side effects we see in dogs if they consume the Japanese show lily, but more severe side effects can develop. If you believe your dog ate a part of this plant, you need to contact your veterinarian.

The Japanese show lily is considered a potentially fatal lily if ingested by your dog. There are no known cases of death in dogs reported from this lily, but it can still cause serious side effects. If you witnessed your dog chewing on or consuming a piece of this foliage, be sure to contact your veterinarian immediately.

Book First Walk Free!

Symptoms of Japanese Show Lily Poisoning in Dogs

While not well documented, symptoms of Japanese show lily poisoning in dogs may include:

  • Lethargy
  • Hiding
  • Halitosis
  • Inappetance
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Dehydration
  • Increase in thirst
  • Change in urine production
  • Kidney failure
  • Seizures
  • Death

Cats are said to be the species most fatally affected by the ingestion of the Japanese show lily, but it is still possible your dog could develop toxicity symptoms after ingestion. It is said to only cause gastrointestinal upset in dogs, but if your dog has any type of pre-existing medical condition, they may be more susceptible to the toxin. 

Types

The Japanese show lily is in the family Liliaceae and the genus Lilium. All lilies of the Lilium genus are potentially fatal to the animal that ingests it. Lilium speciosum is the proper scientific name of the Japanese show lily. It has the typical lily appearance usually in a pink and white color pattern.

Causes of Japanese Show Lily Poisoning in Dogs

The flowers and the leaves, as well as the water from the plant vase, of the Japanese show lily all contain the toxin. Since the Japanese show lily is commonly found in bouquets, you must keep it in a place your pet cannot reach.  The exact toxin of the plant is unknown, but it is believed to be considered water soluble, making it easily absorbed by your dog’s bloodstream.

Diagnosis of Japanese Show Lily Poisoning in Dogs

Diagnosis of toxin from the Japanese show lily can prove to be difficult. You either need to have seen your dog consume it or find pieces of the plant in his vomit. When you first arrive at the veterinarian’s, your dog will receive a physical exam. This will allow the veterinarian to note all symptoms your dog is experiencing as well as which vitals are abnormal. 

Laboratory work will be performed to determine how your dog’s internal organs are filtering the toxin. Blood work may consist of a complete blood count (CBC) and a chemistry panel. This will provide the veterinarian a baseline of what organ value levels are abnormal. A urinalysis will also be conducted to assess the function of the kidneys. If you suspect your dog ate a part of the Japanese Show Lily, bring the plant with you to the clinic. This will allow the veterinarian to examine the plant for bite marks as well as provide her with the exact plant and toxin your pet has ingested.

Treatment of Japanese Show Lily Poisoning in Dogs

If your dog consumed a part of the Japanese show lily, early decontamination is crucial for a full recovery. Your veterinarian may induce vomiting in your dog to get him to expel any remaining pieces of the flower from the stomach. If nothing is produced, she may administer activated charcoal to bind the toxin to prevent further absorption by the body.

Your dog will be started on fluid therapy to flush the toxin from the body quicker, to prevent the kidneys from shutting down and to correct and prevent dehydration. Fluid therapy needs to be started within 18 hours of ingestion of the Japanese show lily for it to prevent renal failure. If the kidneys fail, there is little chance of recovery.

In addition to these supportive therapies, additional medications may be administered to combat other symptoms. For example, if your dog is having seizures, an anti-seizure medication may be given, or if your dog is vomiting continuously, an antiemetic may be administered. Additional administration of medications will be determined by your veterinarian.

Recovery of Japanese Show Lily Poisoning in Dogs

While the only fatal toxicity cases from ingestion of the Japanese show lily are associated with cats, your dog may still suffer severe toxicity symptoms. The sooner you seek veterinary attention for your dog, the higher his chances of a full recovery. If your dog has been diagnosed with renal failure prior to ingestion of the Japanese show lily, it is imperative you seek medical treatment as soon as possible once you discover he chewed or ate a part of the plant. Any other pre-existing illness your dog has will also affect his recovery time. If your dog was completely healthy prior to ingestion of the Japanese show lily, the prognosis for a full recovery is good. 

The best thing you can do for your dog is to not have this plant in or around your home. Even the most well behaved dogs get curious and decide to chew on foliage when owners aren’t watching. If you do have this plant nearby, keep it in an area your dog does not have access to in order to prevent toxicity.