Prepare for unexpected vet bills

Youtube Play

What is Peach Pits Poisoning?

Believe it or not, peach (apricots, cherries, and plums) pits can be fatal to your dog. These pits are dangerous for three reasons. For one thing, your dog can choke on them, causing anoxia and death within minutes. In addition, the pits can cause a blockage in your dog’s intestine, which can also be fatal. However, the main reason that peach pits are dangerous to your dog is that they have amygdalin in them, which is toxic, and can cause kidney failure and death within a few days. The foliage of the peach tree is poisonous as well, so if you have any peach (apricot, cherry, or plum) trees on your property, you should be sure your dog is not able to get to the downed fruit, stems, or leaves. Your dog can get acute poisoning if a large amount of peach pits or foliage is consumed at one time, or chronic poisoning if a small amount is eaten over a period of time. The latter is equally as toxic because a dog’s body is unable to process or rid the body of the amygdalin, so it just builds up until a toxic amount is reached.

Peach pits are poisonous to your dog because they (as well as apricots, cherries, and plums) have something called cyanogenic glycosides (amygdalin) inside them, which is a form of cyanide. This toxin slows down the enzymes in your dog’s body that are essential to transport oxygen in the blood. If your dog eats enough of them, amygdalin poisoning can be dangerous and even fatal. For example, if you have peach trees, and your dog eats the peaches off the ground, it will not take too many to make him sick. As a matter of fact, the stems and leaves are also toxic, and can be dangerous for your dog if he consumes too many of them.

Vet bills can sneak up on you.

Plan ahead. Get the pawfect insurance plan for your pup.

Compare plans
advertisement image

Peach Pits Poisoning Average Cost

From 25 quotes ranging from $300 - $3,000

Average Cost

$650

Symptoms of Peach Pits Poisoning in Dogs

The symptoms of both acute and chronic peach pit poisoning are similar, but with chronic poisoning, the symptoms are much milder and come on slower. This makes chronic poisoning much harder to diagnose. The most common symptoms of peach pit poisoning are:

  • Abdominal pain
  • Anorexia
  • Breathing problems
  • Bright red gums and mucous membranes
  • Cardiac arrest
  • Coma
  • Confusion
  • Convulsions (seizures)
  • Coughing
  • Death
  • Dehydration
  • Depression
  • Diarrhea
  • Dilated pupils
  • Drooling
  • Fever
  • Gastrointestinal irritation
  • Hyperventilation
  • Lethargy
  • Panting
  • Shivering
  • Shock
  • Skin irritation
  • Swollen abdomen
  • Tremors
  • Vomiting
  • Weakness

 Types

  • Acute peach pit (amygdalin) poisoning occurs when your dog ingests a toxic amount of peach pits (or foliage) at one time
  • Chronic peach pit (amygdalin) poisoning occurs over time if your dog is eating a small amount of peach pits (or foliage) over a period of time
arrow-up-icon

Top

Causes of Peach Pits Poisoning in Dogs

The cause of peach pit poisoning in dogs is the accidental or intentional ingestion of peach pits, which have toxins in them. The amygdalin (cyanogenic glycosides and amygdalin) slows down the body’s ability to deliver oxygen through the blood to the tissues and organs. This slowly suffocates the body, causing loss of consciousness, coma, cardiac arrest, and death among others.

  • Peach pits
  • Peach tree leaves
  • Peach tree foliage
arrow-up-icon

Top

Diagnosis of Peach Pits Poisoning in Dogs

Your veterinarian will be able to diagnose your dog through your description of his symptoms and what you believe he ate. Additionally, the veterinarian will need to know about your dog’s medical history, any previous illnesses and injuries, and changes in behavior or appetite. The veterinarian will do a complete physical examination, which includes heart rate, respiration, blood pressure, temperature and reflexes.

It is also necessary to complete some tests on your dog, such as a complete blood count (CBC), biochemistry profile, blood gas, and urinalysis. The veterinarian will also perform liver and kidney function tests, as well as some radiographs (x-rays) to determine the amount of damage that has been done. Kidney and liver biopsies may also be needed.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Treatment of Peach Pits Poisoning in Dogs

Even if you get your dog to the veterinarian right away after the symptoms have started, treatment may not be successful. By the time the symptoms are evident, the damage done by amygdalin is not reversible, and can be fatal. However, the veterinarian will admit your dog to the hospital and provide oxygen and IV therapy. There are several medications that are effective for peach pit poisoning, which are hydroxylamine hydrochloride, dimethylaminophenol, and amyl nitrite.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Recovery of Peach Pits Poisoning in Dogs

The chances of recovery are poor if there has been a severe toxicity. If your dog recovers, lifespan can be shortened depending on the amount of kidney and liver damage that is already done.

arrow-up-icon

Top

*Wag! may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Items are sold by the retailer, not Wag!.

Peach Pits Poisoning Average Cost

From 25 quotes ranging from $300 - $3,000

Average Cost

$650

arrow-up-icon

Top

Peach Pits Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Need pet health advice? Ask a vet

question-icon-cta

Ask a Vet

dog-name-icon

dog-breed-icon

Mixed breed

dog-age-icon

Three Years

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Unknown severity

thumbs-up-icon

6 found helpful

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Unknown severity

Has Symptoms

None

My dog probably ate a nectarine pit. He is 55 lbs and it was only one pit. I am hoping it won't cause a blockage because of his size but I am also concerned about the potential cyanide effects. Everything I read provides symptoms but does not indicate how soon putt how long after ingestion these symptoms can occur. I need to know when I should be looking for them. Thank you.

Sept. 28, 2020

Owner

answer-icon

Dr. Michele K. DVM

recommendation-ribbon

6 Recommendations

Thank you for your question. If he did not chew the pit, the cyanide effects should not occur. If he did chew the pit, it would not take long for the effects of cyanide to occur, and it would be best to have him seen by a veterinarian if you see any of those signs.

Oct. 8, 2020

Was this experience helpful?

dog-name-icon

dog-breed-icon

Rhodesian Ridgeback

dog-age-icon

Twelve Weeks

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Unknown severity

thumbs-up-icon

2 found helpful

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Unknown severity

Has Symptoms

None

I think she ate a whole peach pit.

Sept. 28, 2020

Owner

answer-icon

Dr. Michele K. DVM

recommendation-ribbon

2 Recommendations

Thank you for your question. There is a high possibility that she will have a foreign body if she did swallow the peach pit, and she may need x-rays. If she starts vomiting, having diarrhea, is lethargic, or doesn't want to eat, then it would be best to have her seen right away by a veterinarian.

Oct. 8, 2020

Was this experience helpful?

Peach Pits Poisoning Average Cost

From 25 quotes ranging from $300 - $3,000

Average Cost

$650

Vet bills can sneak up on you.

Plan ahead. Get the pawfect insurance plan for your pup.

advertisement image
ask a vet placeholder
Need pet insurance?