Catnip Poisoning Average Cost

From 236 quotes ranging from $100 - 500

Average Cost

$150

First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Catnip Poisoning?

A cat’s response to catnip is mediated through the olfactory system, or sense of smell. As with any scent, the active ingredient of the scent source enters the nasal passages and binds to the receptors in the olfactory system. This action stimulates the sensory neurons which then go on to trigger the olfactory bulb to send signals to the brain. Felines are especially sensitive to the smell of catnip because they have a specialized receptor in the hard palate (roof of the mouth) known as the vomeronasal organ. This olfactory organ is receptive to the active ingredient in catnip, called nepetalactone, causing the feline to display dramatic behavior of running, jumping, drooling, rubbing, licking and rolling on the ground. Researchers believe the plant to cause a similar release of feel-good pheromones as marijuana, but catnip does not affect all cats in the same way. Only 50 to 60 percent of felines can pick up on the scents released by the weed-like plant and kittens, as well as older felines, are not affected at all. 

Catnip is a perennial herb from the Labiatae mint family. Catnip can be identified by its heart shaped, scalloped leaves, hairy stalk and greenish/grey coloration. Catnip is native to North America, known for its unique effect on cats. Catnip releases feel-good pheromones that over half the feline population are heavily attracted to, displaying a subdued or in-love behavior. Although catnip is not a true toxin and is not addictive, consuming the plant in large amounts can cause a poison-like reaction. A feline that has consumed too much catnip will display clinical signs of vomiting and diarrhea with no other accompanying symptoms. 

Symptoms of Catnip Poisoning in Cats

Catnip poisoning in cats will cause clinical signs of diarrhea and vomiting. No other symptoms have been reported to accompany gastrointestinal upset and occasional lethargy associated with this form of feline toxicity. 

Causes of Catnip Poisoning in Cats

Catnip poisoning in cats is caused by an ingested overdose of the week-like herb. The active ingredient in catnip, nepetalactone, is the element for which felines are drawn to catnip and the cause of the toxic-like reaction. Although nepetalactone is not a true toxic element, a large quantity of fresh catnip can make the cat sick and display symptoms that mimic a reaction to poisoning. 

Diagnosis of Catnip Poisoning in Cats

Diagnosing catnip poisoning in cats is difficult, as there is no specific test available for identifying this type of toxicity. Your veterinarian’s diagnosis will be based on ruling out other possible causes of your feline’s current condition that could cause similar symptoms that mimic catnip poisoning. The diagnostic process will begin with a physical examination, review of the feline’s medical history and a consultation with the pet owner. It will be important for you to inform the veterinarian about your feline’s recent actions and exposure to catnip, as this information will aid in ruling out other possible causes. The clinical signs that catnip poisoning causes in cats, such as vomiting and diarrhea, are the same symptoms as several other feline-related health conditions. The veterinarian will want to conduct a series of diagnostic tests to ensure your cat is truly suffering from a catnip toxicity and not a more severe underlying condition. Diagnostic tests the veterinarian will likely request to be performed on the feline include: 

  • CBC (complete blood cell count)
  • Biochemical profile (blood work) 
  • Blood smear test 
  • Urinalysis (examination of urine) 
  • Fecal floatation test
  • Fecal examination 
  • Abdominal ultrasound and/or x-ray 

Treatment of Catnip Poisoning in Cats

As catnip poisoning is not a true poisoning to felines and mainly an overdose of the stimulant, there is no true treatment specifically deemed for catnip poisoning in cats. The cat’s own body does a fairly adequate job of removing the toxin from the body through vomiting and passing the digested particles through waste. However, a feline may require veterinary attention to induce vomiting and replenish fluids. An emetic drug, or drug that encourages vomiting, paired with intravenous fluids may be administered to the feline upon veterinary visitation. 

Recovery of Catnip Poisoning in Cats

The toxic effects of catnip poisoning in cats is short-lived, lasting only a few hours after the occurrence of vomiting or diarrhea. Without further exposure to the plant, the feline will make a full recovery in a few short hours. Your veterinarian will likely ask you to encourage the feline to consume a larger amount of water than usual to further eliminate the toxin from the body for the day of toxic intake, but activities should return to normal. To prevent a future toxic occurrence in the future, the amount of catnip your cat is exposed to should be limited or denied altogether. 

Catnip Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Mr Koo’s
Grey short hair
2 Years
Moderate condition
0 found helpful
Moderate condition

No symptoms yet. Just consumed 2 hefty pinches of catnip and never tried this before: I have no idea if I gave him too much or not. About how much cat nip should a cat consume in one sitting? He is acting fine but I JuST gave it to him

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
2959 Recommendations
Around 30% of cats are not affected by catnip in any way shape or form, but the ones that are require only a small amount. There are no specific rules for how much catnip a single cat can consume and many people put it out ad libitum with their cats taking it as they please whilst others will give a little every few days. If Mr Koo’s isn’t showing any symptoms, I wouldn’t be too concerned at this time but if vomiting or diarrhoea present you should consult with your Veterinarian. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM www.avma.org/News/PressRoom/Pages/Catnip.aspx

My cats sypmtoms did not match above at all. My cat got into our ziplock bag full of dried catnip. I did not find the bag until the next day so I did not know what was wrong with him. He was extremely lethargic. He kept licking his back end and his stomach was distended and hard to the touch. I was giving him one day before I brought him to the vet. I figured he was constipated as he has that issue occasionally. Since he wouldn't eat or drink I gave him some syringe fulls of water so he wouldn't dehydrate and watched him. The next morning he ate and his stomach wasn't as hard. I am thinking maybe he ate so much catnip it backed him up and he passed it during the night. He never vomited. Have you ever heard of this happening. Thank you,

Add a comment to Mr Koo’s's experience

Was this experience helpful?

Mac
Mix
6 Weeks
Fair condition
0 found helpful
Fair condition

Has Symptoms

Drooling
Seizure
Lethargic

We have a 6 week old kitten who got into the catnip treats that we give our older cats. He only had one treat and seemed fine. Within an hour he was literally going crazy, going between running in circles and laying down and looking like he was seizing. He wouldn't let us get anywhere near him during this time. It lasted like this for a few hours but he calmed down. Today he is very lethargic and seems to be drooling some. He is eating and drinking water, he just seems exhausted. He is an outside stray (the mom chose our porch to have the kittens on) that we bring inside occasionally. We are not prepared to go to the vet and ring up a giant bill for a kitten that could run away and never be seen again at any point. Is there anything we can do for him besides watch him and continue giving him lots of water and food? Side note: we had a tornado pass through our house on Sunday, and we noticed he has a bump on his head, we think he may have been hit by something before we could get him inside. Today the bump is smaller and he is showing no signs of discomfort when we touch the area.

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
2959 Recommendations
Cats generally recover well from catnip poisoning and no further care should be required, just keep an eye on Mac for the time being; however we need to be sure that there isn’t any brain injury from the head injury, monitor the eyes and gait for any abnormalities. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM

Add a comment to Mac's experience

Was this experience helpful?

Palico
Calico
2 Years
Moderate condition
0 found helpful
Moderate condition

Can catnip poisoning last for more than one day? I gave my cat catnip about a week or 2 ago and she started vomiting. She did it last time as well but I did not think about the cat nip. Is there any other reason why she could be vomiting? We treated her with steroids previously and she seemed to stop but after the cat nip it’s been every few days and her vomit today had a little bit of green grass in it

Dr. Michele King, DVM
Dr. Michele King, DVM
1385 Recommendations
Thank you for your email. Most cats tolerate catnip quite well, and it takes a fair amount to produce a toxicity. Signs of toxicity from catnip in cats are typically GI related, vomiting and diarrhea. If she has been vomiting every few days, ti is likely related to something else - if she is eating grass other places that might explain it, but if she is an indoor cat, she shouldn't still have grass in her stomach. It would probably be a good idea to have her seen by your veterinarian to have her assessed and possibly take an x-ray to make sure that everything is okay with her. I hope that all goes well for Palico.

Add a comment to Palico's experience

Was this experience helpful?