Iris Poisoning Average Cost

From 391 quotes ranging from $100 - 500

Average Cost

$350

First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Iris Poisoning?

Iris are plants that feature large, ruffled flowers on top of stiff green stalks and come in a variety of species and color variations. While many people enjoy iris in their garden or as a cut flower inside in a vase, the plant is actually poisonous to your family cat. While iris toxicity is generally mild to moderate in nature, it can cause serious discomfort and damage to your cat if left untreated. As with any poisoning, you should consult with your veterinarian if you believe your cat has ingested a toxic plant or flower.

Symptoms of Iris Poisoning in Cats

Symptoms of iris poisoning in your cat will vary in severity depending on how much of the plant your cat has ingested and which portion. While generally non-life threatening, symptoms can cause your cat a great deal of discomfort. Signs your cat may be suffering from iris poisoning include:

  • Vomiting
  • Nausea
  • Abdominal Pain
  • Diarrhea
  • Ulcers of the mouth
  • Skin irritation, also called dermatitis

Causes of Iris Poisoning in Cats

Irises are also known as flag flowers or flag plants. While innocuous to humans, irises contain the compounds known as a glycoside called iridin, irisin, or irisine. Each of these chemicals is an irritant to cats and can cause a variety of symptoms. The highest concentrations of the compounds occur in the rhizomes or root or bulb area of the plant. The leaves, flowers and stems are also toxic. Iris bulbs should be stored out of the reach of curious cats, especially kittens who are likely to chew or bite items out of natural curiosity.

Diagnosis of Iris Poisoning in Cats

Your vet will begin the diagnosis of iris poisoning in your cat with a complete physical exam. Poisoning is difficult to diagnose as the symptoms may at first appear similar to other medical conditions. You will need to provide your vet with a complete physical and medical history of your cat. Additionally, if you witnessed your cat chewing or eating a plant or if they came into contact with a plant, you should provide a sample to your vet. This will allow your vet to determine which compounds your cat may have been exposed to.

During this exam, your vet will examine your cat’s mouth for ulcers. In some cases, the vet may want to view your cat’s throat to check for additional ulceration. This may require your cat to be sedated in order for a small camera to be inserted which will give your vet a complete view of your cat’s airway and esophagus.

Treatment of Iris Poisoning in Cats

Once your cat has been diagnosed as suffering from iris poisoning, your vet will begin treatment with a variety of procedures. First, your vet will attempt to alleviate any immediate discomfort your cat has with lavage, or by washing their mouth and esophagus. This requires administering water or another harmless liquid into their mouth in an attempt to rinse away any remaining traces of iris and to halt any ulceration. 

Next, your vet will induce vomiting in your cat. This is done by having your cat to swallow a solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide. In this small of a dose, this will not be harmful to your cat, but will cause them to vomit anything that remains in their stomach. Your veterinary staff will monitor your cat closely after they have induced vomiting as there is a potential for choking or aspiration pneumonia from this procedure. 

Finally, your vet will administer activated charcoal to your cat. Activated charcoal is highly absorptive and is not digested by your cat’s system. When administered via the mouth into the stomach, the charcoal will absorb any remaining compounds and pass safely through your cat’s system.

 

Recovery of Iris Poisoning in Cats

Prognosis for recovery from iris poisoning in your cat is generally good. After any case of poisoning, your cat should be monitored in your vet’s office overnight or for up to several days, or as long as serious symptoms are still present. You will need to take your cat for follow-up visits to your vet to ensure they are healing properly. If vomiting was induced, you will need to carefully watch your cat for signs they may be suffering from aspiration pneumonia. These may include fever, coughing, raspy breath and general lethargy. With proper veterinary treatment and plenty of rest and fluids, most cats will make a full recovery after a case of iris poisoning.

Iris Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Mister Man
Domestic shorthair
7 Years
Moderate condition
0 found helpful
Moderate condition

Has Symptoms

Lethargy

I just accidentally submitted a duplicate question about iris poisoning from a few weeks ago. My apologies. Here is my new question: Hi. My cat has been having an issue with a watery eye for about a week now, and yesterday I noticed that some of his stools were discolored(yellow-ish), smaller than usual, and dry looking. About 2 1/2 weeks ago he had eaten a small amount of leaves from an iris plant. He threw it up and was back to normal until I noticed his eye. He is a very lazy cat so it is hard to tell if he is acting normal or if he is lethargic. We just moved to a new city at the beginning of June. We have been using new litter. It's not the most expensive but it is unscented sand litter, we have also been feeding him a new brand of food but it is high quality organic dry food. I have no idea what the problem could but I am very worried as we have been under financial stress and cannot afford a vet visit right now

Dr. Michele King, DVM
Dr. Michele King, DVM
1604 Recommendations
There are many changes in Mister's life that could be causing his signs. The iris 2 weeks ago is not likely causing these problems now. Moving may cause a viral challenge and his eye may be related to that. As long as it is getting better, and not worse, you should be okay to monitor that. The change in foods is likely responsible for the change in his stools. If things don't improve for him, he may need to see his veterinarian, but if he is otherwise doing well, you may be able to keep an eye on those things.

Add a comment to Mister Man's experience

Was this experience helpful?

Mister Man
domestic short hair
7 Years
Moderate condition
0 found helpful
Moderate condition

Has Symptoms

Stool discoloration
Watery eye
Lethargic

Hi. My cat has been having an issue with a watery eye for about a week now, and yesterday I noticed that some of his stools were discolored(yellow-ish), smaller than usual, and dry looking. About 2 1/2 weeks ago he had eaten a small amount of leaves from an iris plant. He threw it up and was back to normal until I noticed his eye. He is a very lazy cat so it is hard to tell if he is acting normal or if he is lethargic. We just moved to a new city at the beginning of June. We have also been using new litter since we moved. It is cheaper but not scented or anything unusual. We have been feeding him new food as well. It is high quality organic cat food with real ingredients. I know it could still potentially be an issue. I have no idea what the problem could but I am very worried as we have been under financial stress and cannot afford a vet visit right now.

Dr. Michele King, DVM
Dr. Michele King, DVM
1604 Recommendations
There are many changes in Mister's life that could be causing his signs. The iris 2 weeks ago is not likely causing these problems now. Moving may cause a viral challenge and his eye may be related to that. As long as it is getting better, and not worse, you should be okay to monitor that. The change in foods is likely responsible for the change in his stools. If things don't improve for him, he may need to see his veterinarian, but if he is otherwise doing well, you may be able to keep an eye on those things.

Add a comment to Mister Man's experience

Was this experience helpful?

Mister Man
domestic short hair
7 Years
Mild condition
1 found helpful
Mild condition

Has Symptoms

Vomiting,

My cat ate a very small amount of the leaves of an iris plant on our balcony, he has thrown up twice last night and once today but otherwise seems ok. Should I be concerned/is it absolutely necesarry to take him to the vet for this?

Dr. Michele King, DVM
Dr. Michele King, DVM
1604 Recommendations
If Mister Man is returning to normal, eating and drinking and acting normally, he may be fine. Iris can quite irritating to the GI tract, but if his signs were mild, he may not need veterinary care. If he continues to vomit, has diarrhea or stops eating, he should be seen by your veterinarian.

Add a comment to Mister Man's experience

Was this experience helpful?