Prepare for unexpected vet bills

Youtube Play

What is Fig Poisoning?

Fig plants have the unique characteristic of rubbery, glossy leaves and grow in a variety of shapes and sizes. These plants are a common houseplant, as they are easy to maintain. Due to the nature of their leaves, this plant is also called a rubber plant or rubber tree, and the genus Fig has a variety of related plants and trees. In fact, the genus has approximately 850 species of various trees, vines, and plants.  

The fig plants, or trees, originate in India, Malaysia, and Southeast Asia. Since their native environments are tropical climates, fig plants do very well in warm temperatures. On the contrary, even though the fig does well in warm areas, it does not survive in cold temperatures. Although the fig plants are popular household plants, they can be toxic to dogs. The leaves of the fig contain a sap that can be very irritating to dogs, either on the skin or when ingested. Fig poisoning in dogs can happen to dogs that eat any part of this well-known plant. 

It is important to avoid having any fig plants within the home if you have dogs or other small animals. Many dogs, especially puppies, like to explore and chew on unfamiliar items. This can lead to a great deal of sickness and a hospital stay; however, it can be avoided by being proactive about the plants within your home.

Fig poisoning in dogs is a result of dogs ingesting the fig, or ficus, plant. The fig plant contains a toxic, sap-like substance known as ficin, which is toxic when consumed or when it comes into contact with the skin, eyes, or mouth of dogs.

Vet bills can sneak up on you.

Plan ahead. Get the pawfect insurance plan for your pup.

Compare plans
advertisement image

Fig Poisoning Average Cost

From 572 quotes ranging from $200 - $1,200

Average Cost

$400

Symptoms of Fig Poisoning in Dogs

If your dog consumes a fig plant, he may suffer from these signs. If he exhibits any of the following signs, even though they may be mild, it is important to take him to a veterinarian. Signs include: 

Types

The fig plant is known by many as the ficus plant. Other names in which people refer to this toxic plant include:

  • Weeping fig
  • Rubber tree
  • Rubber plant
  • Climbing fig
  • Indian rubber plant
  • Benjamina
  • Ficus
arrow-up-icon

Top

Causes of Fig Poisoning in Dogs

The cause of fig toxicity in dogs is the eating of the leaves or the stems of the plant. Fig poisoning is caused by:

  • The toxic sap which contains ficin
  • Ficin is a phototoxic psoralen
  • Ficin causes inflammation and dermatitis
  • Ficin causes blistering of the skin
  • Phototoxic psoralen causes gastrointestinal distress when swallowed
arrow-up-icon

Top

Diagnosis of Fig Poisoning in Dogs

Although severe fig poisoning in dogs is uncommont, it is still imperative to take your dog to receive medical attention. Taking him to the veterinarian will allow you to understand the level of toxicity in your dog. Once the dog is at the veterinarian’s office, the physician will ask a variety of questions pertaining to the plant in which he ingested. 

If possible, take a part of the plant with you, especially if you suspect or know that he has consumed this item. This will aid the veterinarian in making a diagnosis, along with the assessment of his signs. The veterinarian will also take a blood test, urinalysis, and biochemistry profile to examine your dog’s organ function. This will help him decide on the proper mode of treatment. 

If your dog is vomiting or has diarrhea, the veterinarian may also choose to test these substances to check for any plant material and toxins. She may also proceed in giving him IV fluids to keep him from dehydrating from the vomiting and diarrhea.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Treatment of Fig Poisoning in Dogs

Once your veterinarian has a better understanding of how much the dog consumed, treatment will vary. Fig toxicity is not normally life-threatening; however, rapid treatment is still necessary. Treatment types may include:

Emesis

If your dog has not vomited from the toxic sap, the veterinarian may perform emesis right away. This will help your dog dispel some of the contents of his stomach. Following up with a dosage or two of activated charcoal will help prevent the toxins from being absorbed into the dog’s system.

Washing and Rinsing

More than likely, if your dog ate a fig plant, he will have a sap-like residue in his mouth area. The veterinarian may choose to decontaminate your dog by giving him a bath in a mild detergent and rinsing him well. This will also remove any remaining sap from his body and prevent further skin irritation. If the sap is in his eyes, he will perform in eyewash as well.

Intravenous Fluids

 

IV fluids will assist your dog in remaining hydrated and will encourage proper urination and kidney function. These fluids will help increase vitality with the healthy enzymes delivered to your dog’s system.

Skin Treatment

 

If the sap came into contact with your dog’s eyes, mouth, and skin. He may apply a topical ointment or prescription form to help with the dog’s contact dermatitis.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Recovery of Fig Poisoning in Dogs

Dogs that become affected by the poisonous fig plant recover with treatment. Once your veterinarian decides your dog is well enough to come home, he will give you specific instructions on how to care for him. She will also schedule follow-up examinations to recheck his system to be sure he is recovering. After your dog is home, you will need to monitor him to be sure he is not showing any new symptoms or adverse changes in behavior. 

In order to prevent future poisoning from plants from occurring, check the plants within your home and on your property for toxicity. If you are uncertain if your plants are toxic, you can ask your veterinarian or your local ASPCA.

arrow-up-icon

Top

*Wag! may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Items are sold by the retailer, not Wag!.

Fig Poisoning Average Cost

From 572 quotes ranging from $200 - $1,200

Average Cost

$400

arrow-up-icon

Top

Fig Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Need pet health advice? Ask a vet

question-icon-cta

Ask a Vet

dog-name-icon

Buddy

dog-breed-icon

Golden Retriever

dog-age-icon

18 Months

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Mild severity

thumbs-up-icon

1 found helpful

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Mild severity

Has Symptoms

Diarrhoea

My dog ate a fig and has been having diarrhoea and waking us up in night which he doesn’t usually do . This happened once before and we fed him chicken and rice and within a few days his stomach was back to normal . Should we do this again ?

July 11, 2018

Buddy's Owner

answer-icon

recommendation-ribbon

1 Recommendations

Fig ingestion typically leads to gastrointestinal irritation, you can try to feed boiled chicken and rice again in an effort to calm the stomach down; monitor Buddy and make sure he remains hydrated. If the symptoms continue or other symptoms present visit your Veterinarian. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM

July 11, 2018

Was this experience helpful?

dog-name-icon

Remy

dog-breed-icon

Labrador Retriever

dog-age-icon

3 Years

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Moderate severity

thumbs-up-icon

0 found helpful

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Moderate severity

Has Symptoms

Lethargy

We believe our dog ate a bunch of figs and leaves from a fallen tree in our backyard. He threw up about five times two days ago and then again when we fed him rice yesterday morning. He has not wanted to eat or drink today. Our vet took an X-ray yesterday that did not indicate a bowel obstruction, but a stomach full of what appears to be food. She said it looks like a stomach full of kibbles. We mentioned that he may have eaten figs, but she wanted to wait a day or two to take an addition X-ray to see if anything had passed. He hasn’t pooped since diarrhea the first day that he was sick. Otherwise there has been no poop, only pee.

July 1, 2018

Remy's Owner

answer-icon

recommendation-ribbon

0 Recommendations

The leaves are the main concern as they may cause gastrointestinal irritation and irritation of the skin around the mouth; without examining Remy it is difficult to say what to do next, but if there has been no further bowel movements or general improvement you should return to your Veterinarian on Monday morning as more would need to be done. Another x-ray may be useful to see if there is any change since the last one taken, your Veterinarian will then decide on a course of action. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM

July 2, 2018

Was this experience helpful?

Fig Poisoning Average Cost

From 572 quotes ranging from $200 - $1,200

Average Cost

$400

Vet bills can sneak up on you.

Plan ahead. Get the pawfect insurance plan for your pup.

advertisement image
ask a vet placeholder
Need pet insurance?