Prepare for unexpected vet bills

What is Imidacloprid Toxicity?

Imidacloprid is a chloronicotinyl nitroguanidine insecticide that is generally used for pest control on crops, vegetables and fruits, termite control and flea control. For dogs, imidacloprid is sold under the brand name of Advantage and is used as a topical flea control once monthly. Imidacloprid binds to the acetylcholine receptor on the postsynaptic part of the nerve cells of the flea; this will cause paralysis and death of the flea.

Imidacloprid has been approved by the EPA for use on dogs and will kill fleas already on your dog within 12 hours of application. It is applied topically and will spread through your dog’s hair follicles and onto their skin, protecting them from fleas for up to one month. 

Imidacloprid is generally safe to use on dogs over seven weeks of age and any size. Symptoms of toxicity are rarely seen, unless your dog licks the imidacloprid directly. Then excessive salivation can occur as well as gastrointestinal upset and muscle weakness. Toxicity is more prevalent in dogs that are old or sick. Smaller dogs also are at a higher risk of toxicity.

Vet bills can sneak up on you.

Plan ahead. Get the pawfect insurance plan for your pup.

Compare plans
advertisement image

Symptoms of Imidacloprid Toxicity in Dogs

Imidacloprid toxicity in dogs is rare, but can occur especially if your dog licks the imidacloprid. There have been cases where the topical application has caused illness as well. It is best to only apply imidacloprid to healthy dogs that are over seven weeks old. If you notice any of these symptoms after applying imidacloprid to your dog, contact your veterinarian immediately for assistance.

  • Hives 
  • Itching
  • Respiratory distress
  • Congestion
  • Shock
  • Excessive salivation
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Muscle weakness
  • Incoordination
  • Muscle tremors
  • Ear twitching
arrow-up-icon

Top

Causes of Imidacloprid Toxicity in Dogs

Imidacloprid is an insecticide and therefore can cause toxicity in your dog. This is especially the case if your dog is sick or already debilitated from an illness. Small dogs can also be at risk of developing toxicity to imidacloprid. Dogs that have abnormally low body temperatures are also at risk of toxic poisoning. Dogs with sensitive skin are also prone to developing toxicity to imidacloprid. 

Although it is approved by the EPA for use on dogs, imidacloprid is a chloronicotinyl nitroguanidine insecticide that was first used in termite control and pest control on crops.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Diagnosis of Imidacloprid Toxicity in Dogs

When diagnosing imidacloprid toxicity, your veterinarian will first take a thorough medical history and ask you about the symptoms that you have seen. They will also want to know if any sprays or other topical flea treatments have recently been used on your dog. 

A full physical evaluation will be performed along with a complete blood count, urinalysis and biochemistry panel. This will help determine the exact cause of your dog’s ailment and if there has been internal damage done. 

Many times, your dog will experience skin irritation and/or excessive salivation or drooling. Your veterinarian will be searching for the cause and also how to quickly treat your dog to stop the toxic poisoning.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Treatment of Imidacloprid Toxicity in Dogs

Once your veterinarian has diagnosed imidacloprid toxicity in your dog, your veterinarian will discuss treatment options. Most of the time mild symptoms are self limiting or they will simply require a thorough bath, using a mild shampoo, to remove the toxins from your dog’s coat and skin. 

More severe symptoms that seem to affect your dog’s neurological system will most likely require hospitalization and supportive care. Supportive care will probably include intravenous fluids, nutritional therapy and treating the symptoms as they present. Your dog will also need to have their body temperature regulated while they are hospitalized. Your veterinarian will order your dog be thoroughly bathed to remove as much of the toxins from their coat and skin. This will keep your dog from absorbing more of the toxins.

Your veterinarian will continue to monitor your dog’s progress and perform testing to ensure that no long term damage has been done to your dog. Once your dog is on the road to recovery, your veterinarian will release them from the hospital and you will be able to continue their care at home.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Recovery of Imidacloprid Toxicity in Dogs

When continuing at home care during your dog’s recovery be sure to follow any instructions given by your veterinarian. Any medications prescribed need to be administered as directed. 

The proper application of imidacloprid is important to prevent your dog from having a reaction, closely follow the directions and if you are unsure about a product consult your veterinarian.

arrow-up-icon

Top

*Wag! may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Items are sold by the retailer, not Wag!.

Imidacloprid Toxicity Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Need pet health advice? Ask a vet

question-icon-cta

Ask a Vet

dog-name-icon

dog-breed-icon

Yorkshire Terrier

dog-age-icon

Seven Years

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Unknown severity

thumbs-up-icon

0 found helpful

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Unknown severity

Has Symptoms

None

My dog ate the large dose of advantus for dogs instead of the small dog dose.

Aug. 5, 2020

Owner

answer-icon

Dr. Michele K. DVM

recommendation-ribbon

0 Recommendations

Thank you for your question. There are many doses of advantage, and I'm not sure which one you are referring to. I also don't know how much either dog weighs so it is difficult for me to comment on whether it is a problem. Advantage is also a topical medication so I'm not sure if your dog actually ate it? Since there are so many things I do not know, it would probably be best to either call a pet poison control hotline, or a veterinarian that is open near you, and give them the weights of your dogs, the medication dosages, and see if there is a concern. I hope that all goes well.

Aug. 5, 2020

Was this experience helpful?

dog-name-icon

Emmy & Hobbes

dog-breed-icon

beagles

dog-age-icon

6 Years

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Fair severity

thumbs-up-icon

3 found helpful

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Fair severity

Has Symptoms

Minor
No Symptoms As Of Yet

I am looking for only topical preventatives for my beagles. We are using K9 Advantix II which is a topical and contains IMIDACLOPRID 8.8% for flea, tick and mosquito control. I would also like to use Advantage Multi which is a topical and contains IMIDACLOPRID and MOXIDECTIN. Both products are made by Bayer. Is it safe to use both topicals. Also, since K9 Advantix II kills mosquitos, does it already prevent heartworm as it is mosquitos which transmit? Also, I had to put symptoms etc. in the boxes below but my dogs have none.

Aug. 30, 2017

Emmy & Hobbes' Owner

answer-icon

recommendation-ribbon

3 Recommendations

The moxidectin may be used as a direct prevention for heartworm and is also a treatment for microfilariae in dogs; imidacloprid is a mosquito repellent which will also prevent heartworm. I understand that you would like to prevent fleas, ticks, heartworm and mosquitoes but I wouldn’t recommend using both products at the same time as they both use imidacloprid; using the Advantage Multi would be best due to its increased efficacy against heartworm due to the moxidectin, although the product doesn’t offer prevention against ticks. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM

Aug. 30, 2017

Was this experience helpful?

Vet bills can sneak up on you.

Plan ahead. Get the pawfect insurance plan for your pup.

advertisement image
ask a vet placeholder
Need pet insurance?