First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Swelling in the Face?

Swelling in the face in dogs is when the face or muzzle area, or even mouth, swell up either suddenly or over a short period of time. Face swelling can occur on one side of the face, along the jawline, or all over the muzzle area. When a dog swells in the face, he may have difficulty eating and drinking. He may also paw at his face if there is any discomfort in the facial area. A swollen face can signify several different conditions, so it is important to make an immediate appointment with a veterinarian if this occurs.

A dog may swell in the face for a variety of reasons. Reasons for this condition include:

  • Allergies
  • Trauma
  • Poisoning
  • Tooth or gum infections
  • Tumor
  • Lymph node swelling

Book First Walk Free!

Why Swelling in the Face Occurs in Dogs

Swelling in the face of a dog is not normal and needs to be addressed. If your dog is swelling in the face, jaw area, or any part of his body, immediately make an appointment with your veterinarian. Reasons for facial swelling may include:

Allergies

If your dog has allergies, he may have swelling in the face. If you know your dog has allergies and is not taking medications, perhaps a visit to the veterinarian can help. If your dog has sudden facial swelling after being outside or in a different location than normal, take your dog to the veterinarian immediately.

Trauma

A bee sting or other insect bite can cause swelling of your dog’s face. If you feel your dog has been stung by a flying insect of some sort, or has been bitten or has suffered any facial injury, make an appointment with your veterinarian. 

Poisoning

If your dog has been outside or eaten any indoor toxins, such as a poisonous plant or toxic substance, he may have swelling occur in his face. Certain toxic plants that contain oxalates can cause immediate swelling, as well as other symptoms of toxicity. 

Tooth or Gum Infections

An abscess in the tooth can cause painful swelling on one side of the face. A gum infection can also cause facial swelling. Your dog will more than likely show signs of pain and may have difficulty eating as well.

Tumor

If your dog has a tumor, it may be the source of the swelling. Typically, tumors appear over time and not suddenly, so it is careful to always be aware of your dog’s body and face. If you notice your dog’s face is swelling over time, contact your veterinarian.

Lymph Node Swelling

Swelling of the lymph nodes for various factors such as infections or cancers can cause swelling of the face or neck area. Swelling can be on one or both sides, depending on the cause. Your dog may be fatigued or listless or have other symptoms of illness with the lymph node infection.

What to do if your Dog is Swelling in the Face

Observe where your dog is swelling in his face. You may notice his face is swelling all over or only on one side. Call your veterinarian immediately, as sudden face swelling can be a sign of something serious, such as a toxicity or bite from a snake or insect. 

Once you arrive at your veterinarian’s office, he will take a closer look at your dog’s face. He will immediately treat him if he finds a bite or sting, or if your dog looks as if he is having a severe allergic reaction. Once your dog is stable, your veterinarian will ask questions about what you suspect caused it, such as if you were outside with him and noticed he was bitten or stung. 

Your veterinarian will want to know if your companion has ingested any plants or other toxic substances in your home. Once he gathers all of the information possible, he may then perform a few baseline tests. These tests will include blood work, a biochemistry profile, a skin test, and a possible urinalysis.

Once your veterinarian finds what has caused your dog’s face to swell, he will give you the treatment options that are the best for your companion. Of course, this will depend on the diagnosis and the severity of his condition. He may also keep him overnight to give him fluids and to keep him stable, especially if he is having an allergic reaction to something harsh.

Prevention of Swelling in the Face

To prevent insect bites, try your best to monitor your dog while he is outdoors. This can also prevent him from getting into plants that are poisonous. Also, if you have plants that are toxic, have the plants removed from your property or from your home. Some of the prettiest houseplants can be very poisonous, so be sure to check with your veterinarian on the types of poisonous plants before you purchase them. 

Do not allow your dog to roam in environments where there is a large amount of insects or where there could be snakes, as a snakebite can be lethal to your companion. For allergies, try to keep the allergens to a minimum in his environment, or speak to your veterinarian about allergy medication if he has a severe case.

Cost of Swelling in the Face

The cost of treating swelling in the face due to eating a toxic plant can be $500. The cost of treating an underlying health condition, such as a tooth abscess, can be approximately $1200.

Swelling in the Face Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Dash
Mutt
5 Months
Moderate condition
0 found helpful
Moderate condition

Has Symptoms

swollen face

My dog is 5 months. Last night he was fine, but this morning around 6:30 AM we took him out and noticed his right eye and right side of his mouth was swollen. We’ve researched and we’ve seen so many different things that could possibly be it. We live near a beach and he loves the sand, so we were thinking sand got into his eye. Then last night, my boyfriend gave him a tater tot which could be another reason. We flushed his eye out with water and about an hour and a half later it went down a lot. It is still swollen but not as much as it was.

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
2507 Recommendations
It could be some localised irritation, especially if the swelling went down after after flushing the eye out, you should continue to flush the eye out with sterile saline and you can apply an antibiotic ophthalmic ointment to the eye twice per day (to be on the safe side). If the swelling doesn’t go down or you notice other symptoms you should visit your Veterinarian for an examination. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM

Add a comment to Dash's experience

Was this experience helpful?

Goldie Hawn
Retriever mix
2 Years
Fair condition
0 found helpful
Fair condition

Has Symptoms

Swelling

Hello. My med size dog scratched her side of neck close to shoulder blade, most likely on a screw under our bed. Were keeping it cleacclean and shes on an antibiotic. Shes in no pain and is eating and playing and is active. The swelling is kind of like a water blister. Theres no smell. Does it take awhile for the swelling to decrease? This is the 26th, it happend on the 24th. And no fever. Thx!

Dr. Michele King, DVM
Dr. Michele King, DVM
1093 Recommendations
Without seeing Goldie Hawn, or the extent of her injury, I'm not sure how long it will take to resolve, or if it will get infected. If it isn't improving over the next couple of days, it would probably be best to have her seen by your veterinarian, to determine if she needs any treatment.

Add a comment to Goldie Hawn's experience

Was this experience helpful?