Antihistamines Poisoning Average Cost

From 33 quotes ranging from $200 - 1,000

Average Cost


First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Antihistamines Poisoning?

Antihistamines can be found in over-the-counter cold, allergy, and sinus medications. Antihistamines are used by humans to treat a variety of conditions, such as allergies and sinus ailments. Antihistamines may also contain combination ingredients, such as aspirin, codeine, caffeine, dextromethorphan, and pseudoephedrine. Common brands of antihistamines include Dimetane, Zyrtec, Chlor-Trimeton, Tavist, Benadryl, Allegra, and Claritin. If a dog has ingested antihistamines, it will be very important to take the box that contained the medication with you to the veterinarian so the ingredients will be known.

Antihistamines come into categories: first-generation and second-generation. First-generation antihistamines, when taken, have a sedative effect. Many people refer to these as the “older” antihistamines since they can cause marked drowsiness, unlike the second-generation medications. They can also cause blurry vision, dry mouth, difficulty with coordination and concentration, and nausea. The second-generation antihistamines are purchased more often since they are in non-drowsy form; however, if they are taken above the recommended dosage they can still have the same side-effects as first-generation antihistamines.

Antihistamines poisoning in dogs occurs when dogs ingest a quantity of medications, either over-the-counter or prescription, that contain antihistamines. This type of toxicity is treatable if immediate medical attention is given.

Book First Walk Free!

Symptoms of Antihistamines Poisoning in Dogs

When dogs overdose on antihistamines, symptoms depend on the quantity consumed. Symptoms of antihistamine poisoning in dogs include:

  • Rapid heartbeat
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Hyperactivity
  • Seizures
  • Vomiting
  • Confusion


It is important to know the type of antihistamine your dog ingested and the ingredients contained in combination with the particular medication. Differential diagnoses of antihistamine poisoning in dogs include:

  • Amphetamine poisoning
  • Caffeine poisoning
  • Pseudoephedrine overdose
  • Alcohol toxicity
  • Marijuana toxicity
  • Barbiturates or tranquilizer overdose

Causes of Antihistamines Poisoning in Dogs

When a dog consumes antihistamines, depending on the amount ingested, toxicity can occur. Poisoning due to antihistamine overdose is caused by:

  • The constriction of the smooth muscles in the respiratory tract
  • The increased permeability of the capillaries
  • Negatively affects the central nervous system
  • Cardiovascular abnormalities

Diagnosis of Antihistamines Poisoning in Dogs

Once you have taken your dog to the veterinarian, he will need to know more information about what the dog ingested. This is why bringing in the box or container of the medication is very helpful. The veterinarian will perform specific laboratory tests, namely blood testing, plasma tests, and evaluations to check the dog’s concentration of serum antihistamine. The veterinarian will also perform urinalysis and possibly a biochemistry profile in order to check the levels of antihistamines in the dog’s system. If the veterinarian is certain that the dog has ingested antihistamines, due to the evidence of the box and your observations of his past consumption, he may rely heavily on his clinical signs in order to determine the mode of treatment.

Treatment of Antihistamines Poisoning in Dogs

Once the veterinarian has made a diagnosis of antihistamine poisoning, he will immediately begin treatment. Treatment methods include:


If your dog has already vomited, the veterinarian will not need to induce vomiting. The induction of vomiting may be conducted in order to help rid the dog of the substance. Once emesis has occurred, the dog should display natural gastrointestinal decontamination, or the veterinarian will give the dog activated charcoal to aid in the absorption of any residual toxic substances.


Medications to suppress the central nervous system may be given, especially if the dog is having seizures. Diazepam is often the drug of choice to control any seizure activity, and there are other drugs that work as well. Medications, namely methocarbamol, guaifenesin, or pentobarbital may also be used.

Monitoring of Systems

The veterinarian will closely monitor the dog’s heart rate, arrhythmia, and respiratory rate. The monitoring of systems also is dependent upon if the animal ingested a medication that has been combined with the antihistamine.

Recovery of Antihistamines Poisoning in Dogs

The prognosis for antihistamines poisoning in dogs is good if treated promptly. Once the dog has shown progression after treatment and recovery, the veterinarian will give you detailed instructions on how to continue to care for your dog at home. Monitoring your dog after treatment is very important; your veterinarian will want to see him again to check his vitals and to be sure that he is recovering properly. Before you take him to the veterinarian for a follow-up visit, if you see any changes in his behavior for any new symptoms it is imperative to contact your veterinarian. In order to prevent antihistamines poisoning in dogs, it is crucial to store all medications in a safe place that is not accessible by the dog for any other pets. Many dog owners choose to store the medications in a box with a lid to further prevent any accidental ingestion.

Antihistamines Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Australian Shepherd Dog
1 Year
Moderate condition
1 found helpful
Moderate condition

Has Symptoms


My son's 1 y.o. ~ 50# Australian Shepherd male accidentally ingested appx. 20 loratadine @ 10mg each. His roommate dropped the bottle and never said anything. Yesterday dog was in agitated state, panting, and motor skills impaired and my son couldn't understand why until he found the empty pill bottle (roommate hadn't said anything). By that time the vet hospital was already closed. He called the local vet this morning and they said just to keep monitoring him. I found it odd they didn't ask to bring him in for an eval of his vital signs and maybe some blood work. Son says dog's breathing is getting better, less agitated, but shouldn't he have been see/treated?

Dr. Michele King, DVM
Dr. Michele King, DVM
1067 Recommendations
It may have been long enough after the ingestion that any signs would have resolved, but I would want him evaluated, yes. If he continues to be agitated and anxious, or stops eating or drinking, he probably should be examined by a veterinarian, but the time frame where he may have been in any danger may have passed. I am glad that he is okay.

Add a comment to Yugi's experience

Was this experience helpful?

Labrador Retriever mix
11 Months
Fair condition
0 found helpful
Fair condition

Has Symptoms


My puppy takes 25 mg of Benadryl twice a day and I just gave her the nightly dose. My other dog takes zyrtec 10 mg while giving that dog his dose he dropped it from his mouth and the puppy ate that dose of zyrtec also. She is 11months and weighs 40 pounds. Do I need to worry about her?

Dr. Michele King, DVM
Dr. Michele King, DVM
1067 Recommendations
Thank you for your email. The recommended dosage for Benadryl is 1 mg/lb, or 40 mg for a 40 pound dog. The dosage for Zyrtec is 1 mg/kg, or 18 mg for a 40 pound dog. Both of these medications can be sedating, but since she is under the dosage range for both of them, she may just be very tired tonight. The primary concern would be sedation, and if you feel at any point in the evening that she is too sedated and needs to be seen by your veterinarian, please take her to the nearest 24 hour clinic for supportive care. It may be best to take her in now to the nearest emergency facility and have them induce vomiting to get them both out of her system. I hope that she is okay.

Add a comment to Kali's experience

Was this experience helpful?

1 Year
Fair condition
0 found helpful
Fair condition

Has Symptoms

None yet

I accidentally gave my dog a double dose of her allergy medication. She took one dose an hour ago (that I didn’t know my husband gave her) I just gave her the second dose. She takes Cetirizine 10mg 1tab and Chlorphenirimine 4mg 2 tabs. She isn’t showing any symptoms yet. Should I do anything?

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
2485 Recommendations
It is important to monitor for any signs of behavioural changes, drowsiness, excitation along with gastrointestinal symptoms; if you notice any symptoms visit your Veterinarian. Normal dosage of cetirizine is 0.5mg/lb once per day and dosage of chlorpheniramine is around 2-8mg every twelve hours. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM

Add a comment to Mindy's experience

Was this experience helpful?