Jump to section
Tylenol (acetaminophen) is a common over-the-counter anti-fever and pain medication used by humans. Unfortunately due its popularity in our medicine cabinets, it can accidentally ingested by our pets, or given to them by well-meaning owners that assume it is a safe pain medication. Small doses of the medication can cause major, even fatal, damage to dogs.
While Tylenol remains a popular medication for many human ailments, it is extremely toxic to dogs. Any dog known or suspected of ingesting a pill must be given treatment immediately to prevent permanent liver damage.
Tylenol poisoning warning signs typically resemble abdominal distress because the medicine is quickly absorbed into the stomach. Symptoms include:
While Tylenol is safe for human use, it is absolutely toxic and should never be given to pets. Often, the animal ingests the medicine accidentally or it is given it by its owner who was unaware that it is dangerous for dogs. Tylenol is quickly absorbed in the dog’s stomach and causes damage with the animal’s liver. The metabolism is unable to destroy the toxins, slowly leading to liver failure. Tylenol can also cause a fatal collapse of pet’s cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, nervous system, respiratory or kidney systems. If left untreated, ingestion of Tylenol is typically fatal.
Diagnosis is most often made after the dog’s owner sees that the pill has been eaten by their pet, or recognizes symptoms consistent with poisoning. If you suspect that your dog has ingested Tylenol, contact your veterinarian immediately. While this is an emergency, remain calm and make sure to accurately describe the symptoms that your pet is showing to the veterinarian, along with how much Tylenol they ingested (if known).
Veterinarians will primarily do blood work to test how much liver damage has been occurred. Following those tests, treatment for Tylenol poisoning consists of decontamination, intravenous fluid therapy, and antioxidants/liver protectants, to prevent liver failure.
Recovery from Tylenol poisoning is dependent on many factors. The amount of the medicine ingested plays a large role, along with the current health status of the dog. It’s also vital that owners get their pet to the veterinarian as fast as possible for treatment. While Tylenol poisoning is a very serious emergency situation, recovery is possible. Blood work will likely continue to be monitored, and the pet may need to stay overnight for observation. Additional precautions will need to be made in the home environment to ensure that the dog will not be able to ingest Tylenol again.
*Wag! may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Items are sold by the retailer, not Wag!.
Acetaminophen Toxicity Average Cost
From 367 quotes ranging from $150 - $3,500
Protect yourself and your pet. Compare top pet insurance plans.
0 found helpful
I gave my dog about an 8th of an expired Tylenol while we were backpacking a few days ago. He seems fine but super tired. I’m worried but trying to stay calm. He is acting normal. Eats treats, eats his food and was playing frisbee with me last night. I’m just worried it may need to be checked out. He made it back the whole 8 miles and truly jsit seems tired like he usually is after these trips. I don’t want anything to happen in the future for him though because of my poor decision. Any advice would be great! Thank you so much.
Aug. 4, 2020
Dr. Michele K. DVM
Thank you for your question. That seems to be a very small amount of Tylenol, but Tylenol can be toxic to dogs at low levels. I would be concerned about his kidney function if he seems lethargic, and sometimes it can be hard to tell if he is tired or lethargic. If you want to be very careful, it would be best to have him seen by your veterinarian, and have a blood panel run to make sure that his kidney function is okay. They may be able to give you some medication for him for the future, in case you need it for him for pain. I hope that all goes well for him.
Aug. 4, 2020
Was this experience helpful?
American Staffordshire Terrier
1 found helpful
You may find this hard to believe, I did. My dog was intentionally poisoned! I took my 14 year old,60 pound AmStaff Terrier to the vet for evaluation for surgery on a rectal growth. I was told that it was Apocrine gland carcinoma, and inoperable. She had been having some difficulty starting to deficate, and I thought she might have an easier time if she had something for pain. I was already using flax seed meal which did a good job as a natural stool softener. I should mention that she's on an Ace inhibitor for heart failure, so Menoxidyl is contraindicated, as well as coated asprin. To my surprise my vet prescribed 200 mg. of Tylenol every 12 hours. I questioned him, as everything I had read said that Tylenol and generic equivalents should not be given to dogs because of their high toxicity. He told me that was only in large amounts,or over long periods of time. After the second dose, she became very ill, with vomiting and bloody diarrhea. She became so weak I needed help to get her back to my apartment! I stopped all solids, allowing her water. She climbed into bed next to me, and fell asleep. I wasn't sure if she would wake up! She slept for 24 hours, without any more diarrhea, so I gave her white rice and pumpkin. Then the vomiting and diarrhea started again, so back your clear liquids. It's been a week; she's been on white rice,chicken broth and chicken.She hasn't had a stool for 24 hours, but she just started eating again on Wednesday, so we'll see. I am so angry that someone who is suppose to be so knowledgeable, would prescribe something that carried such a high risk of devastating adverse effects to my sweet, beautiful,gentle companion who was my faithful service dog for 8 years. She was a rescue from an abusive situation, when I got her, and just wanted to please, and gave love, unconditionally! I just wanted give her the best quality of life that I can, in the short time she has left. I wish I had listened to my gut, and not given her the tylenol! Do not, ever, give your dog tylenol, no matter how educated you think your vet is; if you do you are playing with your dog's life, and future health. This incident could have shortened whatever time mt sweet Gracie has left!
Aug. 30, 2018
Was this experience helpful?
© 2021 Wag Labs, Inc. All rights reserved.
Download the Wag! app
Download the Wag! app