Jump to section

What is Coral Snake Bite Poisoning?

The coral snake is of the Elapidae family. The bite is extremely toxic in that the venom paralyzes the respiratory center of a canine in a gradual and  deadly manner. The effects will take place over a period of about 18 hours, and can last as long as a week to 10 days. The snake bite can cause life-threatening conditions for your pet; even if you are not certain that the snake that your dog has come into contact with is poisonous or not, seeing a veterinarian is crucial. A snake bite should be treated as an emergency situation. If possible, take a photo of the snake with your cellular phone, to show the veterinary team upon arrival at the clinic.

When a canine is bitten by a snake and poison enters the wound, it is known as envenomation. The coral snake, known by its distinct coloring of alternating black, yellow and red bands on the body along with a black snout, is the most toxic snake found in the United States when measured in per milligram of dried weight.

Coral Snake Bite Poisoning Average Cost

From 74 quotes ranging from $1,500 - $13,000

Average Cost

$5,000

Symptoms of Coral Snake Bite Poisoning in Dogs

The envenomation of the coral snake is neurotoxic, meaning that the effects are primarily paralytic. Documentation shows that bites are not typically painful or known to cause swelling. The signs that will be seen when the poison takes effect are disturbing and can quickly escalate to life-threatening. Do not delay in taking your dog to the emergency clinic in the event of a snake bite as canines can be rendered virtually helpless in movement and breathing capabilities.

  • Excess salivation (ptyalism)
  • Rapid breathing (tachypnea)
  • Loss of control of bodily movements (ataxia)
  • Alteration of mental state
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Changes in spinal reflexes
  • Muscle twitches
  • Weakness
  • Shallow breathing
  • Loss of sensation in all limbs
  • Loss of vocal ability

At the final stages, there will be a paralysis of the limbs and respiratory muscles resulting in complete respiratory distress.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Causes of Coral Snake Bite Poisoning in Dogs

The bite of the coral snake has detrimental effects on the central nervous system, brain, blood vessels and muscles. Immediate veterinary care is paramount to the survival of  your pet because the longer the treatment is delayed and the more time the venom has to work, the harder the effects are to reverse. Though this snake does not usually attack unless picked up or disturbed, the incidences of snake bite in dogs are many due to the curious nature of this furry family member.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Diagnosis of Coral Snake Bite Poisoning in Dogs

If you suspect that your dog has been bitten by a coral snake, immediate transport to an emergency clinic is paramount to his health. You may not be able to see the bite location because the bite of the coral snake is small in size. Studies that have been done on snake bites of the Elapidae family have shown that although a bite mark may not be evident and symptoms are not apparent, once they begin, the state of your pet’s health will rapidly deteriorate to a debilitating point of being unable to breathe.

If you have the dead snake in your possession or a picture on your cell phone, this will be of great help to the diagnosing veterinarian. Because of the delay of onset of the clinical signs, and the fact that the snake bite may not be visible (it could be on the lips or tongue and are very small), your description of the event will be all the veterinarian has to go on.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Treatment of Coral Snake Bite Poisoning in Dogs

A victim of a coral snake bite needs to be hospitalized where there is 24-hour human monitoring of your dog. There is an antivenom for coral snake bites but is not always available. In addition, there have been cases documented where the  antivenom was not effective enough to control the poison. Maximum benefits from antivenom will result if it is administered within 6 hours of the bite.

Ventilation support is always needed in the case of a coral snake bite. Monitoring is necessary in this case, especially as there can be complications like aspiration pneumonia, kidney damage, liver dysfunction, and irregular heartbeat. Depending on the severity of your canine companion’s condition, his hospitalization may last between a couple of days to a few weeks.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Recovery of Coral Snake Bite Poisoning in Dogs

The recovery of your dog will depend on several factors. His chances of full recovery are increased when the length of time between the bite and the treatment is at a minimum. In addition, the size of the snake could play a part. The longer the snake, the more venom your pet will receive in the event of a bite. The location of the bite and the size of your pet are also factors in the equation.

Recovery is indeed possible; when your pet returns home from the clinic, he will need rest and quiet. It may take weeks before he returns to normal. It should be noted that there are many times when the effects of the venom completely paralyze a canine, shutting down the respiratory system to a degree of no return.

arrow-up-icon

Top

*Wag! may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Items are sold by the retailer, not Wag!.

Coral Snake Bite Poisoning Average Cost

From 74 quotes ranging from $1,500 - $13,000

Average Cost

$5,000

arrow-up-icon

Top

Coral Snake Bite Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

Need pet health advice? Ask a vet

question-icon-cta

Ask a Vet

dog-name-icon

Louie

dog-breed-icon

Llewellin Setter

dog-age-icon

5 Years

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Critical severity

thumbs-up-icon

0 found helpful

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Critical severity

Has Symptoms

Paralysis, Respiratory Arrest

I saw my dog running around our home like normal. A little while later, he was laying in the grass with his head elevated. I thought he was enjoying a rest and enjoying the sun. A while later, I checked on him again and saw him lying down with his head on the ground. Upon calling him, there was no response. When I walked up to him, he was awake and salivating a lot but not moving. I picked him up and put him on his feet. He then fell over. I picked him up and brought him to the back of my SUV on the ground and called the Emerengcy clinic. After I went inside to get my keys, upon reaching him again, his tongue was hanging out and he wasn’t breathing. I gave him mouth to nose artificial respiration and he started breathing again in a shallow fashion. I loaded him up and proceeded on my 10 minute commute, to the clinic. I stopped halfway there to check on him and found he was breathing on his own. Upon reaching the clinic, he was already recovering but couldn’t walk. The Vets gave him supportive care and kept him overnight. When I picked him up the next day, he was almost 100%. He is completely normal now. I don’t really know what happened, but I did see Coral snakes on my property a few times before. The symptoms seemed to match, but who knows? I

dog-name-icon

Prince

dog-breed-icon

Chihuahua

dog-age-icon

10 Months

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Serious severity

thumbs-up-icon

0 found helpful

pill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filledpill-rating-filled

Serious severity

Has Symptoms

I Don’T Know

So we were outside and my dogs found a coral snake and then my mom called my uncle to show him then my uncle killed it,but wile my uncle was trying to kill it my dog was messing with it but had not seen him until like 3 minutes later then I ran and took him away from the snake and he was all fine until I believe 2 hours later.I went to go look for him outside and I couldn’t find him but then I found him laying on a pillow drooling a lot.So I started thinking if the snake bit him because he was messing with it.Then I told my mom and she told me to dissolve a pill that will make the pain go away,so when it was dissolved I gave it to him.He got up and went to go hide after that.Right now I am so sad because he is like barely moving.Right now he’s still not ok.But May god bless my baby🙏😭.

Coral Snake Bite Poisoning Average Cost

From 74 quotes ranging from $1,500 - $13,000

Average Cost

$5,000

How can we help your pet?