Sweet William Poisoning Average Cost

From 572 quotes ranging from $200 - 800

Average Cost

$400

First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Sweet William Poisoning?

While it may be quite natural for pet owners to consider sharing their plants with their doting animals, it might not be the best decision. There are obviously various plants that have proven to be toxic or mildly toxic, which will harm your pet. If you have any inkling that your dog has accidentally chewed on any type of poisonous plant and it has been ingested, it is your responsibility as a pet owner to rush your dog to the veterinarian right away.

Sweet William plant, known as carnation, is a garden flower that poisons both dogs and cats. Though, mildly toxic in most cases, ingestion, if not treated can result in extreme gastrointestinal and dermal issues.

Book First Walk Free!

Symptoms of Sweet William Poisoning in Dogs

You can expect to see mild symptoms in the initial stages of ingestion. You would probably notice your dog drooling, vomiting or showing obvious signs of diarrhea. It is also possibly that your dog will break out into a skin rash or hives. Even though the symptoms are initially considered mild in most cases, the condition will still be uncomfortable for your dog. If not treated, the condition would only get worse, escalating to dehydration and other symptoms. Some of the initial symptoms are:

  • Blocked airway
  • Upset to the gastrointestinal system
  • Swelling
  • Dilated pupils
  • Difficulty in breathing
  • Mild case of dermatitis

Causes of Sweet William Poisoning in Dogs

Poisoning is caused when your dog ingests or eats any part of the plant. Ingestion could cause mild poisoning, but if you don’t quickly take your dog to the veterinarian, the situation may get out of control by worsening. Causes include ingestion of:

  • Leaves
  • Seeds
  • Stems

Compounds from all parts of the plant can cause gasrointestinal distress. Dermal exposure can cause a rash to develop.

Diagnosis of Sweet William Poisoning in Dogs

It is important that you seek medical attention from a veterinarian if your dog has consumed sweet William. However, it is also as important to take the plant along with you for proper medical diagnosis and the appropriate treatment. The veterinarian will take a look at the plant to determine its origin and its effect when ingested. If the veterinarian notices any signs of extreme diarrhea, vomiting or severe skin rash, the doctor will diagnose a severe allergic reaction caused by poisoning.

Blood tests to evalute the effects of the plant on your pet's body and x-rays to verify if plant matter is causing a blockage may be done, depending on your dog's clinical signs at time of examination.

Treatment of Sweet William Poisoning in Dogs

Upon discovering that your dog has ingested this perennial, the veterinarian will first rinse out the mouth and also flush the mouth meticulously with water to get rid of plant material that may have not yet been chewed on. Vomiting could be induced to flush plant material that has already been eaten and may still sit in the stomach area. To do this, the veterinarian might give your dog an emetic. In most cases after a dose of hydrogen peroxide (emetic) is given to your dog, recovery should be expected within a day of ingestion. 

If your dog is having gastrointestinal issues such as persistent diarrhea and vomiting, the veterinarian will closely monitor for dehydration. Fluid therapy will be administered in this case. Gastric lavage and medical charcoal will be also administered during the flushing stages to neutralize any toxicity. As the activated charcoal is ingested, it will pass through the dog’s digestive system and the toxins will become attached to the charcoal, subsequently expelling the toxins.

If your pet shows signs of any irritating reaction to the poison where the mouth is swollen, the veterinarian may use an antihistamine like Benadryl. This will reduce the swelling and discomfort as well as prevent airway blockage. The dosage may be 2mg of Benadryl every 8 hours. 

Kapectolin is another medication that the veterinarian may use to relieve the gastrointestinal issues. Dosage could be 1 mg for every 6 hours. The Kapectolin will help to coat the stomach lining. Sucralfate is also another type of medication to soothe an irritated digestive system, used as a blockade between the stomach and the contents. However, this particular medication is usually given to dogs over sixty pounds in weight. For dogs under sixty pounds, the dosage would be reduced. 

The veterinarian will closely observe your dog if airway blockage is evident. The veterinarian may not allow your dog to leave the office until breathing is normalized and swelling has been reduced.

Recovery of Sweet William Poisoning in Dogs

Pet owners should pay close attention to their dogs and remove all similar plants from the home or surrounding areas. As long as you are aware that the plant will cause issues if ingested by your beloved pet, you cannot add it to your garden. Continue to hydrate your pet, even after the visit to the veterinarian. You should continue to administer prescribed medication as directed.