You'll need a few supplies to kick off your training, depending on the method you choose. Though you may not be able to cue a live deer for training, you can simulate one so your Beagle is ready when he smells one in the wild. You'll need:
- Deer scent from a hunting store.
- A piece of deer hide or an antler. You can usually find these at hunting stores too.
- Pieces of clothesline varying in length from 30 ft to 100 ft.
- An experienced tracking dog to teach your puppy the ropes.
- A dog who obeys you very well, even when distracted, or an e-collar.
If you are planning to use your Beagle to help you hunt, make sure you understand the local laws for hunting with dogs. If you're training your beagle to track deer for fun, it's still important to be aware of local wildlife, leash laws, and property boundaries. Once you're feeling confident, it's time to choose the right method for you and your dog.