Lily Poisoning Average Cost

From 587 quotes ranging from $500 - 8,000

Average Cost


First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Lily Poisoning?

Lilies may seem like beautiful, fragrant and harmless plants to humans, but when it comes to your family pets they can be extremely poisonous and potentially fatal. Lily poisoning occurs when your cat consumes any part of the lily plant, including flowers, stems, pollen, leaves or the bulb if the plant is left out of ground and exposed. Kittens are particularly prone to lily poisoning given their curious nature and willingness to chew on plants as part of exploring their environments. If you believe your cat is suffering from lily poisoning, or has ingested a lily or lily plant, you should seek immediate veterinary care.

Symptoms of Lily Poisoning in Cats

Symptoms of lily poisoning will typically develop quickly, within six to twelve hours after your cat has been exposed. Signs to watch for mat include:

  • Vomiting
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Dehydration
  • Kidney failure
  • Disorientation
  • Inability to walk
  • Seizures

Causes of Lily Poisoning in Cats

The exact toxin within lilies that causes poisoning in your cat is unknown. Poisoning occurs when your cat ingests the plant, either through curiosity or the desire to chew or eat the plant. Indoor and outdoor cats are both susceptible as lilies are common household flowers and are particularly popular decorations come spring. Varieties such as peace lilies, Peruvian lilies or calla lilies are of a different species than true lilies. While these plants are still harmful to your cat, they do not generally create life-threatening symptoms. Lilies of the genus Lilium or Hemerocallis are considered true lilies and are potentially fatal if your cat does not obtain immediate veterinary care after exposure. Types of true lilies include:

  • Tiger lilies
  • Day lilies
  • Asiatic hybrid lilies
  • Japanese show lilies
  • Easter lilies
  • Rubrum lilies
  • Stargazer lilies
  • Red lilies
  • Western lilies
  • Wood lilies

Diagnosis of Lily Poisoning in Cats

Diagnosis of lily poisoning in your cat will begin with a thorough physical exam in your veterinarian’s office. Since it will be difficult for your vet to ascertain the exact type of poisoning from your cat’s symptoms at this time alone, you should be prepared to describe in detail the approximate onset of symptoms as well as any worsening or improvement of the condition. If you witnessed your cat ingesting or coming into contact with a specific plant, you should carefully bring a small portion of that plant with you to the vet visit so that your vet can more accurately and quickly make a diagnosis. 

Suspected poisoning of any kind in your cat is a serious medical condition and your vet may need to diagnose your cat to begin treatment prior to having complete confirmation of the condition. Your vet may still obtain a blood and urine sample during your vet visit. These will be sent to the laboratory for analysis to test for kidney function and the presence of any infections or secondary conditions. 

Treatment of Lily Poisoning in Cats

Treatment of lily poisoning in your cat will begin by your vet team stabilizing your pet if they are suffering from any life threatening symptoms. Your cat will be administered medications via IV to help reduce seizures and medications and fluids to help promote kidney function. Your cat may be very sick after lily poisoning and will need to be admitted for overnight stay and observation at a minimum.

After your cat is no longer in critical condition, your vet’s staff will work quickly to help eliminate any remaining toxic substances that remain in their stomach. To do this, your vet will induce vomiting in your cat. A thin plastic tube will be placed into your cat’s mouth and down their throat directly into their stomach. This will be uncomfortable but is important to administer life saving treatment. A solution of water with a small amount of hydrogen peroxide may be given, which will induce vomiting in your cat. This procedure should never be performed at home without veterinarian instruction as vomiting may cause a variety of life threatening side effects.

Next, your vet may administer activated charcoal to your cat via the same tube method. Activated charcoal will absorb many toxic substances allowing them to pass harmlessly through your cat’s digestive system. Additional fluids will then be administered and your cat will be closely monitored to ensure healthy vital signs and proper organ function.

Recovery of Lily Poisoning in Cats

In cases of lily poisoning that are caught early, your cat has a good prognosis of recovery. Some animals may have long or short-term organ damage as a result of poisoning. These conditions may be managed with the use of special medications and regular blood tests at your vet’s office. Unfortunately, lilies are incredibly toxic and some severe cases may result in death. Lily poisoning is a serious condition and your cat’s long-term recovery will depend on how quickly they receive veterinary care. 

Lily Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

5 Years
Serious condition
0 found helpful
Serious condition

Has Symptoms


My five year old calico started vomiting something that looked like spit. She’s in the bathroom and has vomited four times. We have a tiger lily and I saw her nibbling on it this morning. She seems very depressed and tired but it’s sunday night and my parents don’t want to pay for the vet bill.

Can you share what happened? Was Lillyah ok?

Add a comment to Lillyah's experience

Was this experience helpful?

3 Months
Moderate condition
0 found helpful
Moderate condition

Has Symptoms

Not yet

My cat recently had some lily leaves that he digested but he is only a 3 month old cat and it was only a little nibble and will it affect him and we still have no idea what affects will he have. Does anyone know if he will have critical conditions and how to solve it.

Olive did all work
Out ok?

Add a comment to Wolfie's experience

Was this experience helpful?

6 Months
Fair condition
1 found helpful
Fair condition

My 6 month old female cat ate one petal of a lily that fell from the shelf. I only noticed because she threw up what looks like the whole petal. She has not thrown up again. She is eating, and I added a little (less than a capsul) activated charcoal to some wet food and she ate the whole thing. She’s still drinking, I have not noticed any change in bathroom behavior. No drooling. She’s full of energy. Do I still need to run to the vet?

Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
Dr. Callum Turner, DVM
3320 Recommendations
The most concerning issues with consuming parts of a lily plant is the possible kidney failure that may occur; inducing vomiting and administration of activated charcoal are key to getting a favourable prognosis. You should visit your Veterinarian for supportive and symptomatic care as well as to check kidney function etc… Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM

Add a comment to Olive's experience

Was this experience helpful?