Lead Poisoning in Dogs

Lead Poisoning in Dogs - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost
Lead Poisoning in Dogs - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

What is Lead Poisoning?

Lead poisoning, also known as plumbism, is toxicity due to ingestion or inhalation of the heavy metal lead. Toxicity is due to the lead taking the place of the body’s essential calcium and zinc. The central nervous system and gastrointestinal tracts are effected by the mineral depletion. Lead ingested by pregnant females will also affect unborn and nursing pups. Common sources of lead include paint chips, paint dust, ceramic dishes, fishing weights, gun pellets/shot, and lead-contaminated water. Lead poisoning is life-threatening and requires immediate care. Lead poisoning is on the decrease, thanks for U.S. government regulations to remove lead from house paint in 1978. However, dogs can still be exposed to lead through roofing materials, rug padding, linoleum, and other aged household materials. If you believe your dog has been exposed, an immediate veterinarian appointment is suggested.

Lead Poisoning Average Cost

From 27 quotes ranging from $200 - $7,500

Average Cost

$3,200

Symptoms of Lead Poisoning in Dogs

Anytime a pet shows symptoms related to both the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and the central nervous system, lead poisoning is a possibility. Common symptoms of lead toxicity include:

arrow-up-icon

Top

Causes of Lead Poisoning in Dogs

Lead poisoning is caused by the ingestion or inhalation of lead-containing substances. Several common items in the household or on construction sites can contain lead, including:

  • Pre-1977 paint chips or paint dust
  • Roofing materials
  • Soldering supplies and materials
  • Pre-1977 dishes
  • Curtain/shower curtain weights
  • Rug padding
  • Linoleum/tile
  • Wine bottle foil
  • Lead fishing weights
  • Lead gun pellets and shot
  • Lead caulking
  • Lead lubricants
  • Lead pipes (and water from)
  • Lead-contaminated water
  • Auto batteries
  • Leaded gasoline
  • Used automobile oil
arrow-up-icon

Top

Diagnosis of Lead Poisoning in Dogs

If you suspect your pet is showing symptoms of lead poisoning or know that she has gotten into a lead-containing substance, seek veterinary care immediately. There are no home treatments for lead poisoning.

The veterinarian will take a thorough history to determine the source of the lead poisoning. You will need to inform her of symptoms observed, when the symptoms started, and any sources of lead the pet may have gotten into or any uncommon locations the pet has visited recently. A complete physical exam will help determine extent of poisoning and useful diagnostics.

A complete blood cell count will indicate decreased red blood cells (anemia) and increased white blood cells (both seen with lead poisoning). Blood morphology will look for abnormal shapes, sizes and colors of red blood cells under the microscope (poikilocytosis, anicytosis and hypochromasia/polychromasia), all of which accompany lead poisoning. Blood biochemistry will detect any elevated liver enzymes, determine kidney function, and identify other systemic issues.

Radiographs of the chest and abdomen can allow visualization for lead objects in the stomach or intestines. Megaesophagus (an enlarged esophagus) is often seen accompanying lead toxicity and can be seen using x-ray.

Identification of and quantification of lead in the blood is the definitive diagnosis. Lead concentrations greater than 0.5ppm are diagnostic of lead poisoning.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Treatment of Lead Poisoning in Dogs

If you suspect your pet has gotten into a lead-containing substance or he is exhibiting symptoms of lead poisoning, transport your pet to the veterinarian immediately. There are no home treatments for lead poisoning. The faster the pet receives treatment, the better the prognosis.

The goal in treating lead toxicity is to identify and remove the lead source, bind up any available lead in the body, and provide the pet with supportive care.

Lead-Source Removal

Gastric lavage removes stomach contents and is particularly useful if used within 1-2 hours of lead ingestion. Water is used to clean and rinse the stomach several times. Enema may also be used if the lower GI tract is considered to be involved. Surgery may be required to remove larger lead objects from the body.

Chelation Therapy

Chelation refers to the binding of one substance to another. Various chelating agents bind lead particles. Once the lead is bound, it can no longer act as a toxin and is excreted via the kidneys. Chelating agents are given orally and bind lead in the GI tract and bloodstream. Common chelating agents include thiamine, penicillamine, and Ca-EDTA.

Medication

IV fluids may be administered to address dehydration that can result from vomiting and diarrhea. Valium may be administered as an anticonvulsant in the event of seizures.

The success of lead poisoning treatment is highly dependent on amount of exposure and how soon after exposure the pet received treatment. Pets with low-exposure levels that are identified and treated quickly are often released within 12-24 hours. Pets with higher exposure levels, when the source of exposure cannot be identified, and where symptoms are severe, may need to be hospitalized for a few days.

arrow-up-icon

Top

Worried about the cost of Lead Poisoning treatment?

Pet Insurance covers the cost of many common pet health conditions. Prepare for the unexpected by getting a quote from top pet insurance providers.

Recovery of Lead Poisoning in Dogs

Once the pet has stabilized and is released, a follow up appointment may be requested to ensure symptoms have subsided. Most pets recover within 1-2 days if treated soon after exposure. Pets with more severe symptoms may have permanent neurological damage. Pets exposed to a lead source over a long period of time may have lead reservoirs stored in the bones that cannot be treated with chelating agents. These cases can require ongoing treatment.

Follow your veterinarian’s aftercare instructions carefully and continue to monitor your pet for symptoms. Be sure to report any decline in health to your veterinarian as soon as it is noticed.

Remove all suspected sources of lead from your home. If your pet has been exposed and you have children, it may be safest to have them examined for lead exposure as well.

The veterinarian will report the incident of lead poisoning to authorities as it is classified as a public health hazard.

Lead poisoning can be expensive to treat. If you suspect your dog has lead poisoning or is at risk, start searching for pet insurance today. Brought to you by Pet Insurer, Wag! Wellness lets pet parents compare insurance plans from leading companies like PetPlan and Trupanion. Find the “pawfect” plan for your pet in just a few clicks!

arrow-up-icon

Top

Lead Poisoning Average Cost

From 27 quotes ranging from $200 - $7,500

Average Cost

$3,200

arrow-up-icon

Top

Lead Poisoning Questions and Advice from Veterinary Professionals

dog-name-icon

Mollie

dog-breed-icon

Retriever

dog-age-icon

3 Years

thumbs-up-icon

0 found helpful

thumbs-up-icon

0 found helpful

Has Symptoms

Don'T Want My Dog To Get Sick

To my understanding there is lead in my dog's food because pet food makers don't care enough to bring their equipment up to date and clean up the facility. True?

March 13, 2018

Mollie's Owner

answer-icon

Dr. Michele K. DVM

recommendation-ribbon

0 Recommendations

Thank you for your email. Without knowing what food your dog eats, it is impossible for me to comment on your question. If you feed a good quality good, Mollie should not be in any danger of ingesting high lead levels. If you are not sure of the quality of her food, your veterinarian will be able to recommend a food that will be safe for mollie.

March 13, 2018

Was this experience helpful?

dog-name-icon

Sugar

dog-breed-icon

Lhasa Apso

dog-age-icon

13 Years

thumbs-up-icon

0 found helpful

thumbs-up-icon

0 found helpful

Has Symptoms

Diarrhea Seizures

My 13yr old Lhasa got in the garbage and swallowed a beer cap. We are guessing it was in her stomach 4 months. Her vet had a hard time diagnosing. Symptoms thirsty urinating often and lost her sight vomiting dirreah fuconfusion and anemia. Vet tested urine blood finally xrays showed the cap. She performed surgery and removed the cap. 7 months later we are still struggling with dirreah. We've tried pumpkin pro biotics vit b shots high fiber prescription food home cooked chicken and rice. Nothing seems to bind her. She has also had 3 more seizures. It there anything else we can do to help her.

Jan. 20, 2018

Sugar's Owner

answer-icon

recommendation-ribbon

0 Recommendations

In this case it would be worth consulting with the Pet Poison Helpline as they will be able to give some specific advice regarding bottle cap ingestion and may know specific details about metals used in their production. Metal bottle caps are generally made from tin or zinc plated steel but this may vary, I doubt lead was used unless a very old bottle cap; if you know the manufacture of the beer call them to ask specifically what the caps are made from. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM www.petpoisonhelpline.com

Jan. 20, 2018

Was this experience helpful?

Lead Poisoning Average Cost

From 27 quotes ranging from $200 - $7,500

Average Cost

$3,200

Need pet insurance?
Need pet insurance?

Learn more in the Wag! app

Five starsFive starsFive starsFive starsFive stars

43k+ reviews

Install


© 2022 Wag Labs, Inc. All rights reserved.