Jump to section
The showy daisy is known for its natural ability to repel fleas, ticks, flies, and other pesky insects. This quality makes it extremely popular with pet owners, especially for those who look for more natural approaches to pest control. While beneficial in this aspect, it can actually be toxic to your dog if he ingests a portion. He is likely to develop symptoms of gastrointestinal upset and may need supportive therapies to recover without consequence.
Showy daisy has many beneficial qualities which leads many people to have it in and around their home. If your dog ingests it, it may result in symptoms of toxicity and he will need to be seen by a veterinarian.
The symptoms of showy daisy poisoning may vary in each dog. Symptoms may include:
The showy daisy is a plant that naturally repels fleas, ticks, flies, gnats, and mosquitoes. Each flower has many narrow petals per head, with about 1 to 10 heads per stem. This plant can be found in many regions along roadsides, open slopes, and even among rocks. It is native to North America and also known by the common names of seaside daisy, horseweed, and fleabane. The showy daisy belongs to the Asteraceae family with the scientific name of Erigeron speciosus.
The toxic property of the showy daisy is unknown. Scientists have yet to discover exactly what principle it is within the showy daisy that causes the toxicity symptoms in dogs if ingested. The toxin does cause gastrointestinal upset in canines.
The symptoms of showy daisy toxicity in dogs are extremely vague; many things can cause these symptoms. In order to get to a proper diagnosis, the veterinarian may need to run multiple tests to rule out other possible causes of your dog’s symptoms.
When you first arrive at the veterinarian, she will begin by collecting a history from you. She will continue by performing a physical exam on him going over his entire body to notice any and all symptoms he is experiencing. She will check his vitals and check for any abnormalities throughout his body.
If your dog vomits while at the clinic, the veterinarian will examine the contents for clues as to what he ingested. If he vomits at home before you bring him to the clinic, try to inspect the contents yourself so you can give the veterinarian a description of what it looked liked and contained. If he is having diarrhea, a fecal sample will be collected and tested to check for other causes. Intestinal parasites or bacterial overgrowth can also cause diarrhea; the test will either confirm or eliminate these options as a cause.
The veterinarian may want to take an abdominal radiograph for an internal view of the gastrointestinal tract. With vomiting and diarrhea as the main symptoms, intestinal blockage may be a concern. A radiograph may show if he ingested something that is now stuck somewhere in his digestive system.
She may also want to run blood work to check for any other problems your dog may be experiencing but can’t be seen without lab work. A chemistry panel, complete blood count, and electrolyte panel will give information on how his internal organs are functioning. These labs will also rule out other possible causes of the symptoms he may be experiencing.
If you witnessed him ingesting this plant, try to bring a part of it with you to the veterinarian’s office. This will allow her to identify the culprit quicker and begin the detoxification process.
Treatment for showy daisy poisoning is mainly supportive. For the nausea and vomiting, an antiemetic medication can be administered to help with these symptoms. She can also administer an appetite stimulant if your dog has not been eating well due to not feeling well.
For diarrhea, there are a couple things she may offer. Changing him to a veterinary diet or bland diet of chicken and rice can give the stomach a much needed rest. These diets are easy on his digestive tract and will allow it to calm down and decrease the likeliness of diarrhea. Canned pumpkin or canned sweet potato can also be added to his food to firm up his bowel movements. Medication wise, there are some options she can offer him to get the diarrhea to stop sooner versus later.
If the vomiting and diarrhea persists, dehydration becomes a concern. Both symptoms result in fluid loss; if he is nauseous, it is likely he is not drinking much therefore not replacing the fluids he is losing. If this happens, he will need to receive fluid therapy to replace what he has lost and offer him additional support. Depending on the degree of dehydration, your dog may need to be hospitalized to receive intravenous (IV) fluid therapy. If the dehydration is not too severe, he may just need some subcutaneous fluids to replace what he has lost and a little extra.
Poisoning from showy daisy in dogs may be considered mild to moderate. In typical cases, it is not a life threatening condition. Most dogs do fine on supportive therapies and medications alone. However, if your dog has a preexisting medical condition, his prognosis of a full recovery becomes guarded due to possible complications that may develop.
Before you bring any new plant into your dog’s environment, be sure to do your research first. The showy daisy is a aesthetically pleasing plant, but if your dog is a plant eater or nibbler, you may be wise to avoid having this in your home.
*Wag! may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Items are sold by the retailer, not Wag!.
Showy Daisy Poisoning Average Cost
From 329 quotes ranging from $200 - $800
© 2020 Wag Labs, Inc. All rights reserved.
Download the Wag! app
Download the Wag! app