Jump to section
Though wild birds are generally poisoned by ammunition and lead sinkers, pet birds are subject to household items, many of which contain toxic levels of metal. Metals can also be ingested through contaminated drinking water, or even from the wire in their cage. While many metals can cause a toxic condition, lead and zinc are the most common. Often, when symptoms are seen, the bird may already be very sick.
Heavy metal poisoning is a toxic condition caused by the ingestion of heavy metals. When the curious nature of birds leads them to chew or ingest various objects, often metal ones, they can swallow too much metal and become poisoned. Ingested metals can cause damage to the digestive tract, nervous system, kidneys, and liver, and can lead to death in severe cases.
While some birds show no signs of a metal poisoning, others can display various symptoms related to the gastrointestinal, urinary, and nervous systems. The severity of symptoms is also dependent on the amount of heavy metals ingested. Signs include:
There are many types of heavy metal toxicosis found in birds, named after the metal ingested.
Lead poisoning is by far the most common type of heavy metal toxicosis. Birds can ingest lead from common household items, such as toys, curtain weights, jewelry, imported metal cages, caulking compounds, batteries, solder, fishing weights, foil, jig heads, tank linings, bearings, ceramics, plastics, candy wrappers, inks, paint, ammunition, zippers, and leaded glass.
Zinc poisoning ranks second to lead, and can also be found in many household objects. A common object implicated in zinc poisoning is galvanized wire, but zinc can also be found in toys, mesh, bells, chains, keys, pennies minted after 1983, clips, steel wire cages, powder-coated cages, cage accessories, nuts and bolts, padlocks, washers, snap fasteners, galvanized dishes, ammunition, wood preservatives, insecticides, and rubber.
Copper poisoning is rare, and can be ingested from wire, pennies minted before 1982, paints, copper ammunition, and copper sulfate.
Iron poisoning can result from exposure to feeding bowls made of cast iron, or other iron rich objects.
The cause of heavy metal toxicosis is the ingestion of heavy metals into the body, most commonly lead or zinc. This is often through chewing or swallowing small objects, wire, or particles from metal objects or paint.
Lead, once in the gastrointestinal tract, is absorbed into the bloodstream, soft tissues and bone, where is can cause damage to red blood cells and various organ tissues, including the kidneys, liver, and brain. Zinc, while needed for cell replication and developing bones and cartilage, can have adverse effects in more toxic amounts, and can damage the kidneys and pancreas.
The severity of heavy metal toxicosis can be influenced by several factors, including the type and amount of metal ingested, and the diet, such as those low in calcium or protein.
A diagnosis can be determined by a physical examination that includes noting the weight, a history of exposure to metal objects or particles, symptoms, and the results of various tests. Various blood tests can reveal high levels of heavy metals in the blood, serum or plasma. This can often identify anemia, or a lead or zinc toxicity, and allow for a definitive diagnosis. X-rays can reveal the presence of metal in the gastrointestinal tract. Your veterinarian will also evaluate your bird for crop stasis, a sign of lead poisoning.
Treatment aims to remove the toxic metal from your bird’s body, and can be accomplished a number of ways: chelation therapy, manual removal, and various supportive therapies. Symptoms are also treated, often with medications. The removal of the metal objects from your bird’s environment is an important step towards recovery and preventing future toxicity.
Chelation therapy uses injectable agents, such as calcium EDTA, or oral agents, such as dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA) and d-penicillamine, to bind and remove heavy metals. Depending on your bird’s condition, he may need multiple treatments. Oral treatments can be administered at home.
In cases where there are larger pieces of metals present, they can be removed through endoscopy, surgery, gastric lavage, or proventriculotomy. Lubricants and cathartics can be given to aid in metal removal, such as mineral or corn oil, or magnesium sulfate. Bulking agents can be used to assist the removal of toxins from the GI tract, such as psyllium, peanut butter, fiber, methylcellulose, or laxatives.
Other supportive treatments can include fluid and electrolyte therapy, heat therapy, B-complex vitamins, and medications to control tremors and seizures.
Treatments continue until the symptoms are resolved. Often, blood tests and X-rays are taken again to assess your bird’s progress, and continued therapy is given as needed.
Recovery of your bird will depend on how severe the toxicosis is. In cases of lead toxicosis, symptoms may only appear in a very sick bird who is near death. If, however, the poisoning is diagnosed and treated early, your bird may recover.
It may not be easy to prevent your bird from ingesting metal, due to the wide variety of toxic objects and the natural curiosity of birds. But there are ways you can minimize the chances of a heavy metal poisoning, such as:
*Wag! may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Items are sold by the retailer, not Wag!.
African Grey Species
1 found helpful
My African Grey was diagnosed with HMT. I would like to know if any of the following items contains metal: 1. Crocks (rubber shoes) 2. Lead of a pencil 3. Sealant for window pains.
Feb. 10, 2018
Crocs are made of a substance called Croslite which I couldn’t find any information regarding the constituents of the material, so I would refer to the company for more information (they offer live chat support). “All Crocs shoes are uniquely designed and manufactured using our proprietary closed-cell resin, Croslite, a technology that gives each pair of shoes the soft, comfortable, lightweight and non-marking qualities that Crocs wearers know and love.” Pencil lead actually contains no lead but is made of graphite which is a non-toxic substance (see second and third link below). “There is no lead in pencils. Rather, the core is made up of a non-toxic mineral called graphite. The common name “pencil lead” is due to an historic association with the stylus made of lead in ancient Roman times” As far as I know, window sealant or window putty does not have any heavy metals in its composition but there may be heavy metals in old buildings; this would be something to bring up with a manufacturer but you probably don’t know which company sealant/putty was used. www.crocs.com/customer-service/contact-us.html https://pencils.com/the-unleaded-pencil/ https://pencils.com/lead-in-pencils/ www.petpoisonhelpline.com
Feb. 10, 2018
Was this experience helpful?
0 found helpful
Our precious lovebird Kiwi was doing what lots of lovies do, EXPLORING, when he accidentally ingested heavy metal from a door hinge in our room. We hadn't noticed any changes in his behavior until about 4 am when we heard him moving about which was odd for him at that time of day (usually he is sleeping). My boyfriend immediately checked on him and what we found was very disturbing. Kiwi was vomiting periodically and his feathers were extremely ruffled. He seemed lethargic and was guzzling down water every time we offered it to him. After calling around for 3 hours to find an Avian vet that was open, I rushed him there and admitted him for examination. The X-ray showed two little pieces of heavy metal inside him and treatment began from there. He was given DMSA for the toxicity as well as antibiotics and anti-vomiting medication. After two nights of hospitalization, the vet suggested we take him home and continue his treatment for two weeks, twice a day every 12 hours with DMSA and Metoclopramide. My boyfriend and I also made the decision to get his wings clipped so he wouldn't be able to fly freely while recovering in addition to making it easier to administer his medication orally. We scheduled a follow up appointment after the two week mark for an additional X-ray to see if the metal had moved or passed. Right now, we are are day 3 of home treatment and although Kiwi has not vomited or shown signs of deterioration, he does seem a bit depressed and less energetic since we've been home. He has been eating quite a bit and has no problem drinking either. I'm hoping that the medication is doing it's job and I know that a wing clipping was hard for him because he has always been mobile. Now that flight has been taken away from him and he's recovering from his sickness, I'm hoping his lack of playfulness is a result of this traumatic and near fatal experience. However, we made an appointment for the vet again tomorrow morning for a blood test to get an assessment of the level of toxicity in his little body. Fingers crossed that all turns out okay and that he will make a full recovery. *Side note, I've read up on the effects of peanut butter and its chelating properties and I've given him some PB covered millet to ensure that the metal will pass.
0 found helpful
We have a female song parrot here in Papua New Guinea. We have no access to vet services. Recently returned from inter-province trip and our parrot was extremely lethargic, wasn't eating and very weak, all within a day according to our friend. So far, we have nurtured and she is eating and moving a it more, but still tired and twitching which she never did. A very curious bird, which chews anything, so HMP sound possible. Seems to be 'improving' if anything, but do we have natural solutions in such a remote part of the world? Please help and advise ASAP.
© 2020 Wag Labs, Inc. All rights reserved.
Download the Wag! app
Download the Wag! app