Rubrum Lily Poisoning Average Cost

From 399 quotes ranging from $250 - 2,000

Average Cost

$500

First Walk is on Us!

✓ GPS tracked walks
✓ Activity reports
✓ On-demand walkers
Book FREE Walk

Jump to Section

What is Rubrum Lily Poisoning?

The rubrum lily is a popular version of the lily flower found in bouquets and flower arrangements. It mainly comes in the color scheme of white with pink dots. It is said the rubrum lily is not toxic to dogs, but if your dog ingests a piece, he may develop toxicity symptoms. Dogs mainly suffer gastrointestinal upset if they ingest this flower, but kidney failure and death are also side effects that can develop in the most severe of cases of other animal species. If your dog ingests a piece of the rubrum lily, the veterinarian may run basic blood work to be sure he isn’t suffering from the toxin. He may also be started on fluid therapy to flush the toxin from his system quicker and to prevent dehydration. Overall, the prognosis for a full recovery is good.

The rubrum lily is known by many other lily names. If you have this or any other type of lily in or around your home, keep it out of the reach of your dog. If he chews on or ingests the rubrum lily, alert your veterinarian.

Book First Walk Free!

Symptoms of Rubrum Lily Poisoning in Dogs

There have been no reported cases of rubrum lily toxicity in dogs. However, there is always a possibility your dog might have a reaction to it. Symptoms of toxicity may include

  • Hiding
  • Inappetance
  • Lethargy
  • Halitosis
  • Dehydration
  • Inappropriate urination
  • Inappropriate thirst
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Seizures 
  • Kidney failure 
  • Death 

If your dog develops any of these symptoms, you should seek veterinary care.

Types

The rubrum lily belongs to the Liliaceae family which is considered a dangerous family of lilies. The actual scientific name of the rubrum lily is Lilium speciosum cultivar. It is known by many common names; basically any other lily name can be used interchangeably to identify this flower.

Causes of Rubrum Lily Poisoning in Dogs

The toxin in the rubrum lily is unknown. The toxin is known to cause symptoms of toxicity or even death in cats, but not dogs. However, there is always a possibility your dog may react negatively if he ingests the rubrum lily. Take precautions to keep this lily out of the reach of curious pets.

Diagnosis of Rubrum Lily Poisoning in Dogs

Your veterinarian will begin by performing a physical exam on your dog. This will allow her to assess his symptoms and note any abnormalities of his vitals. If your dog vomits while at the clinic, the veterinarian will examine the contents for any evidence as to what he ingested. If your dog is experiencing diarrhea, a fecal sample may be taken and tests performed to rule out internal parasites or bacterial overgrowth. 

Blood work will be performed to give the veterinarian a broad look as to how the internal organs are functioning. A complete blood count (CBC) and chemistry panel will provide the veterinarian with needed information for proper assessment. A packed cell volume (PCV) may also be performed to determine hydration status. If your veterinarian feels it is necessary, she may also perform a urinalysis for further evaluation of kidney function.

Treatment of Rubrum Lily Poisoning in Dogs

Your dog will be started on fluid therapy to flush the toxin from the body quicker, to prevent the kidneys from shutting down and to correct and prevent dehydration. Fluid therapy needs to be started with 18 hours of ingestion of the rubrum lily for it to prevent renal failure. If the kidneys fail, there is little chance of recovery.

Your veterinarian may induce vomiting in your dog to get him to expel any remaining pieces of the flower from the stomach. If the vomit is clear and unsuccessful at producing any plant remnants, she may administer activated charcoal to bind any remaining toxin in the gastrointestinal tract before the body absorbs it. 

In addition to these supportive therapies, additional medications may be administered to combat other symptoms. For example, if your dog is having seizures, an anti-seizure medication may be given, or if your dog is anorexic, an appetite stimulant may be administered. Additional administration of medications will be determined by your veterinarian in accordance with your dog’s needs.

Recovery of Rubrum Lily Poisoning in Dogs

If you believe your dog ingested a piece of the rubrum lily, the sooner you alert your veterinarian, the better. Since most cases of rubrum lily poisoning in dogs are very mild, prognosis of a full recovery is good. Most dogs that develop toxicity symptoms do well with supportive therapies alone. 

If you have this plant in your home, keep it out of the reach of your dog. Keep it at a height your dog cannot reach, even when standing on his hind legs. If you have the rubrum lily outside, keep it in an area your dog does not have access to. If this is not possible, monitor him while he is outside to ensure he does not chew on or eat the foliage.