The Sealydale Terrier is a hybridization between the rare Sealyham Terrier of Wales and the Airedale Terrier. Though both parents are from the British Isles, the Sealydale Terrier was first bred in South Africa in 1934 and is attributed to Miss M. Bodmer of Grahamstown. Miss Bodmer kept detailed records of her breeding practices, and the Sealydale Terrier displayed early generational signs of breeding true to type. The Sealydale Terrier was in high demand as a vermin hunter in South Africa but lost much of its popularity following World War II. Additionally, most of the records on the Sealydale Terrier do not extend beyond World War II. Some people debate the existence of multiple generations Sealydale Terriers, but so long as Sealyham and Airedale Terriers remain in the active population, the Sealydale will continue as a hybrid. Owners can also review the respective histories of the parent breeds for additional insight. The Sealyham Terrier is a rare Welsh Terrier that developed in the mid-1800s to hunt vermin game, such as badgers. The Sealyham Terrier, also known as the Sealie, is a tenacious Terrier and excellent companion that has made distinction within the show community as well, having earned four Best in Show Championships. Despite its distinction in the ring, the Sealyham Terrier comes in last as the American Kennel Club's most popular breed. The first Sealie was registered to the AKC in 1911. The Airedale Terrier is also a Terrier of distinction, being the largest of the Terriers. The Airedale male can weigh up to 70 pounds and be as tall as 25 inches. The original name of the Airedale Terrier was the Waterside or the Bingley Terrier, but fanciers renamed the Terrier Airedale in the late 1800s to further distinguish its roots in the Aire Valley. The Airedale came to the United States in the late 1800s and was kept by Presidents Theodore Roosevelt, Warren Harding, and Calvin Coolidge. At one time, the Airedale ranked in the top 20 most popular dogs in the American Kennel Club, which recognized the breed in 1888.